High protein foods

Options
Hi all, just need some help re protein ideas please. I have a smoothie with protein powder for breakfast. Lunch will usually consist of a sandwich with no meat, as I work outside and it will spoil too quickly. Dinner is usually some sort of meat and vegetables. I'm still struggling to reach protein goals. Does anyone have ideas for high protein snacks? I can't really add eggs into my diet as i have high cholesterol and my doctor advised I should avoid having too many eggs

Thanks

Replies

• momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get one of those things that you freeze overnight and stick in your lunchbox to keep your food cool. Then you could add meat to your lunch.
  • christinecoffeebean
    christinecoffeebean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia and work outside in construction :( it's been a very hot summer unfortunately so those ice packs melt quick smart! I find that the food will keep okay, but not as fresh as I would hope!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    how about dried edamame? I'm not sure if you can buy them in Australia, but they're readily available through Amazon.
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When I was a vegetarian my go-to sources for protein were quinoa, peanuts and peanut butter, and brown rice. Pumpkin seeds are suppose to be high in protein too. The down side is some of these foods are high in either fat or carbs.

I'm just trying to think of things you can take with you to lunch since that seems like where you're lacking in protein. Maybe add beans to you supper?
  • marie_leone
    marie_leone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. As a vegetaran, I too struggle to get enough protein. Try this: my homemade fat-free & cholesterol-free Refried Bean Spread (1 can Pinto Beans, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup water - mashed and blend into a paste with a fork or food processor). Now if you can tolerate gluten, you can spread the Refried Bean Spread on 2 slices of toasted Multi Grain bread, press some diced tomato, onion and jalapeno peppers into the spread, add a slice of Daiya vegan cheddar cheese alternative (which is cholesterol free), and this tasty sandwich will remind you nachos. It won't spoil in the heat and it tastes even better when it's a little warm. Although it is a bit high in carbs, it's has around 30 grams of protein per sandwich, and travels well. I hope you enjoy it. :-)
  • marie_leone
    marie_leone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In case you want more info about Daiya Cheese Alternative Products, check out their website: www.DaiyaFoods.com
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    90g tin of John West tuna in springwater, ~15g of protein.
    40g proteinfx bar, ~13g of protein.
    95g tin of John West salmon in springwater, ~11g of protein.

These, together with shakes, are my go-to non-refrigerated sources of protein. Just don't overdo the fish, mercury and all that
  • sodivine22
    sodivine22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I suggest lots of meat like chicken breast steak fish or ground turkey.. I have oatmeal in the morning with some peanut butter (Quakers maple brown sugar) and lunch is a grilled chicken wrap dinner would be steak and veggies
  • christinecoffeebean
    christinecoffeebean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great answers!
  • Parmcat
    Parmcat Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese and Greek yogurt are great, and you could eat them at breakfast/dinner.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Chia or hemp seeds also...good protein and fats
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Second the packed tuna. That doesn't have to be refrigerated. Beef/Turkey jerky and protein bars are good grab and go snacks as well.