Breakfast, is it ok to skip it?

Options
Hi, I have about 6kg to lose to reach my goal weight and have already lost 4kg. I'm not looking for any quick fixes or to lose it fast. After all it took me ten years to gradually put on the ten kilos I want to lose.
Anyway what I've been noticing is that I'm eating a small breakfast for the sake of eating breakfast. Most of the time I'm not actually feeling hungry. It's just that growing up hearing "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and it's a habit to eat something in the morning. Is it going to be detrimental to my overall health to skip breakfast on days when I don't feel hungry?

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Not detrimental at all, eat when you feel hungry. Lots of people aren't hungry in the morning and don't eat breakfast.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast all the time, it's personal preference.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Skip away. Meal timing makes no difference.
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying to my post. Three out three say it's ok so that's good enough for me :smiley:
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the others, I personally do eat breakfast, but that's only because if I don't, I tend to end up hangry and binge. If you don't have that issue, then skip away :smile:
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever ate breakfast before losing weight. Coffee was enough to get me going and I wouldn't eat until around 11 am or noon. Now, I wake up HUNGRY and ready to eat a little something before I even have coffee. But probably, it's just become a new habit. When I started deficit eating I adhered to all the advise of 'breakfast being the most important meal of the day' mantra. It took about a month to get used to it. But as far as is it really important for everyone? I kind of doubt it.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Usually i skip. But started eating cornflakes and milk these days, as my stomach keep making noises by 10.30-11am in work meetings each time. It's very embarassing. :(
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you don't overeat to compensate for it later.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not grabbing a doughnut at 10:30 - there is no problem. I bring something to eat as a morning snack if I skip breakfast because I will be hungry by 10:30.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I eat it for a few reasons. One, it's cheap. Two, I'd be much hunger by lunch time. Three, that's 500-600 calories I'd have to take in at another time and I like the sizes I already have for lunch and dinner. 3 even size meals distributed thru the day works best for me. You could be different.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast but its at break time (10ish). I'm rarely hungry before then and I'm usually up around 6.
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I wrote this post yesterday and this morning I've woken up hungry haha
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but what I have read is that breakfast is a great way to get your metabolism going. Also, when you skip breakfast, "they say" you are more likely to overeat. I have also read that eating a nice sized breakfast will help with how much you consume for the rest of the day. It's also good to eat breakfast within 2 hours of waking up.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The "breakfast is the most important meal of the day " was coined by Kellogs :wink:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When us the time if day that you tend to overeat? If you tend to munch in the afternoon, eating breakfast might help you feel more full throughout the day.

Otherwise, it really doesn't matter.

My compromise is that I often have something around 10 or 11. Elevensies, if you will.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but what I have read is that breakfast is a great way to get your metabolism going. Also, when you skip breakfast, "they say" you are more likely to overeat. I have also read that eating a nice sized breakfast will help with how much you consume for the rest of the day. It's also good to eat breakfast within 2 hours of waking up.

Eating breakfast usually means I will over eat. Eating switches on the hunger monster for me, the later I "break" my "fast" the better.

As for your metabolism comment, it is always going, you cant bump it into action.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Metabolism is always going. At a lower rate when you're asleep, but it doesn't need the "jumpstart" that some people call breakfast.

Personally, I do best when I eat within about an hour after getting up. On weekends I can put off having food till lunch time and just have coffee, but during the week I'm up at 6:15 and at work by 7:30 and tend to be fairly active so I need breakfast. Means I end up with a smaller lunch.

But anyway...meal timing doesn't mean diddly in general. It's a personal thing :)

~Lyssa
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

No to the metabolism comment, just bro science.

Also-that doesn't apply to all. If I eat when I get up I graze all day. If I don't eat, I stay in my calorie goal.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I eat a lot less during the day now that I started eating breakfast.
    I drink 1 cup of skim milk with my coffee, and a serving of almonds.
    Protein + Protein = knocks out hunger for hours.
    Some people that skip, graze which can be bad if unplanned.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely still learning all about this, going on 7 1/2 months. I have lost 50 lbs, maybe the eating breakfast works for some and not so much for others. I'm going to read more on how our metabolisms work and fasting. Sometimes I feel I should wait a little longer to eat breakfast, but then I worry if I wait too long.