Want to lose muscle

Options

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Take your husband to the gym. Get him a structured program. Make him eat tons of food. Bang problem solved.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We all have different goals and there's nothing wrong with not wanting to have more than average muscle mass. However, OP, your avi doesn't indicate that you do and I'm a bit concerned that you are not really seeing reality when you look in the mirror.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Spending time in a wheelchair will result in muscular atrophy.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I agree though. You look like you're 120lbs at the most. In no way do you appear bulky. It might just be you seeing yourself as you truly are. It's very easy to get caught up in "how we think we should look". You look fit and healthy, but definitely not bulky and muscular.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No offense...though I don't think this would offend you in this case. You don't look like you have that much muscle.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    This must not be a current pic because I don't see any bulk.

Everything is relative. I think this thread needs a pic of the OP standing next to her boyfriend.

With them both wearing tank tops.

And then we'll see what's up
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Add me to the "you look great in your avatar picture" group.

But as you get away from what is essentially a life of leisure (college for MOST people),
    and don't have as much time or energy to devote to sports, your body will change.
    Most people don't like what happens, but if you want to lose fitness, lose muscle, and
    gain fat, maybe you will.

If your husband is insecure about how strong or fit or beautiful you are,
    it's his problem to deal with. Maybe counseling would help him?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    VegasFit wrote: »
    This must not be a current pic because I don't see any bulk.

Everything is relative. I think this thread needs a pic of the OP standing next to her boyfriend.

With them both wearing tank tops.

And then we'll see what's up

Haha. True.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eating low on the protein, don't strength train, near the top end of a calorie deficit. Or just get a buffed out husband who doesn't care. Of course, I'd not endorse not training and eating low protein. Losing muscle takes quite a bit of effort and ANY physical activity that reactivates it can get hypertrophy to happen again.

BTW, your pic doesn't looked "bulked up" at all.

Do you have any evidence to support this? Whenever I gain muscle though weight training and then I stop the training and the diet that earned me that muscle, it went away quickly. Would I get it back faster if I started that training once more than I did during the initial gain and specific diet? Yes. Would it just accidentally come back without effort and specific diet? My thinking is no.
    Atrophy happens (dependent from person to person on how long after not working out) when muscles don't get used. For some it's a month or so, others may take a little longer. It's much easier to regain muscle back the next time around than to initially build it in the first place. Hence why athletes or previous lifters who stopped for a period of time, can gain back muscle (a little) on a deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    try doing some yoga also, that can help stretch out bulky muscle. Also lots of veggies with not too much protein.
    Not really. Muscle is attached to bone and no amount of yoga, stretching, pilates, etc. will stretch it any further than where it's attached. If someone is "bulky" that means they have fat covering their muscles. Leaning out would reveal definition of whatever musculature that person has.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You want to lose your bulk? I don't think you are that bulky :/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP has not been back to her thread since she created it. I am assuming she got what she needed from the comments and advise, however I am with everyone here, she just looked in shape and perhaps a fit female 22 year old.

I just siged when I read this, and wondered what it would be like to be 22 again and to actually have a problem like this? face plam.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP has not been back to her thread since she created it. I am assuming she got what she needed from the comments and advise, however I am with everyone here, she just looked in shape and perhaps a fit female 22 year old.

I just siged when I read this, and wondered what it would be like to be 22 again and to actually have a problem like this? face plam.

Yeah I remember those days, being 22 and wanting to shed all that muscle. Those were the days.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yeah, given how hard it's been for this 50+ year old to build muscle, well, sigh. What's that saying--youth is wasted on the young?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't see the "bulk" either.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    try doing some yoga also, that can help stretch out bulky muscle. Also lots of veggies with not too much protein.

This does not happen. You cannot change the length of muscles... well you possibly could by lengthening the bones they sit on, but that usually involves some questionable, probably illegal, surgery.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Spending time in a wheelchair will result in muscular atrophy.

Of the arms though?
    wheelchair-bodybuilder.jpg
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Is this the twilight zone or what?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »
    This post makes me sad.

Me too

OP - I'm 55, age and laziness will do the trick (my experience).

BUT, you don't want to go down this road. You don't want an OLD body now. Hang onto what you have. A future of low muscle mass = low daily calories forever. Yay! My maintenance is 1300.....I don't think so.