• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    "Eggs are good for you"
    "No they're bad for you"
    "No good for you"
    "No! They're bad for you!"
    "No, dammit, they're good for you!"

I figure this study will probably go about the same way.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The only problem with olive oil is that there's the olive oil mafia and they're cutting the good stuff with sub-par oil and selling it as extra virgin.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I only skim read it but it seemed to make sense to me. The general message of the olive oil content of a Mediterranean diet being the most important factor in positive health has always seemed weird to me.

This article seems to come down to - eat plants of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and minimal meat seems to fit with many health messages.

I'm comment mainly to bump the thread because I'm interested in other's opinions.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    One of The only problems with olive oil is that there's the olive oil mafia and they're cutting the good stuff with sub-par oil and selling it as extra virgin.
    maybe?

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Most "Olive Oil" now on the shelves is watered down with Pro-inflammatory vegetable oil. Best to use Macadamia nut oil instead.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat a variety of oils: butter, coconut, grape seed oil, avocado oil, almond oil.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Too lazy to click. I just need to know if I'm going to get cancer or not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The only problem with olive oil is that there's the olive oil mafia and they're cutting the good stuff with sub-par oil and selling it as extra virgin.

I linked this last time it came up: http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/extra-virginity

But someone linked something saying it was wrong, so maybe.
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    Too lazy to click. I just need to know if I'm going to get cancer or not.

Heart disease apparently.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    TLDR.
  • liftsalltheweights
    Options
    I found it funny that there was a pop-up on the site of an "article you might be interested in" entitled: "The Truth about Coconut Oil!" and explaining why it's not good for you as well.
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    I found it funny that there was a pop-up on the site of an "article you might be interested in" entitled: "The Truth about Coconut Oil!" and explaining why it's not good for you as well.

Nothing is good for you, I guess. But I have lots of English relatives who have died from heart disease and lots of Italian relatives who have not, so I might take my chance with olive oil.

• StealthHealth
    Options

Nothing is good for you, I guess. But I have lots of English relatives who have died from heart disease and lots of Italian relatives who have not, so I might take my chance with olive oil.

Maybe it's not the olive oil that is good but tea is bad #justsayin
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options

Maybe it's not the olive oil that is good but tea is bad #justsayin

Then I am truly doomed.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Here is my current philosophy on all foods, eat what you love, no one is getting out alive. Let's face it, even though we strive to live longer and feel good longer as we age, eventually your time is up. Every day there is a new boogey man, saturated fat, trans fat(I do avoid this one, it adds no joy to my life), currently it is added sugar that will do you in according to the hip new trend. I am just going to try to stay within my calorie goal, eat some veg each day and move as much as possible. No more worrying about what the trending horror is.
  • liftsalltheweights
    Options
    who4fan wrote: »
    Here is my current philosophy on all foods, eat what you love, no one is getting out alive. Let's face it, even though we strive to live longer and feel good longer as we age, eventually your time is up. Every day there is a new boogey man, saturated fat, trans fat(I do avoid this one, it adds no joy to my life), currently it is added sugar that will do you in according to the hip new trend. I am just going to try to stay within my calorie goal, eat some veg each day and move as much as possible. No more worrying about what the trending horror is.

Sure we're all going to die but why speed up the process with diabetes, arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis? I'd rather live life well then live a life plagued with all sorts of preventable diseases.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Sure we're all going to die but why speed up the process with diabetes, arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis? I'd rather live life well then live a life plagued with all sorts of preventable diseases.

My diabetes went in to remission through significant weight loss. Throughout the process I ate a varied diet. Headlines scream the latest food culprit (or superfood), when perhaps there is no such thing as a savior food or danger food. It's all about eating moderately and eating it all. About the only foods I avoid are poutine and Red Robin's.

Salad got far more appealing (and satiating) when I discovered full-fat salad dressings, of which olive oil plays an important part.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you burn up what you eat, there's less to go on the inside of your arteries, no matter what you eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'd rather not be orthorexic and have no evidence that moderate use of olive oil is going to make my health worse.
  • liftsalltheweights
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'd rather not be orthorexic and have no evidence that moderate use of olive oil is going to make my health worse.

Where are you people getting that I'm "anti olive oil"? I love olive oil. I use it daily. My point was that eating whatever you want in whatever quantities because "you're going to die any way" is a ludicrous way to look at things. That's like saying you should take unnecessary risks that could possibly endanger your life because "You're going to die anyway".