Any Indians :(

Options
Shalini0072016
Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
Hi there. It is hard to believe for me, that, there are only few Indians, who, really care about there health. Any Indian out there. Come on, let's get going. :)<3

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm not Indian, but when I lived on an ashram in upstate New York, I knew lots of Indians who cared about their health :)

Maybe get involved with your local yoga community?
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm not Indian, but when I lived on an ashram in upstate New York, I knew lots of Indians who cared about their health :)

Well I have been a active volunteer, with Isha foundation, where they teach yoga. I have been doing yoga from past 8 years. Though not on a regular basis. Basically I am a loner, so it's hard for me to find real friends & stay away from plastics.
  • thoyamma
    thoyamma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi ....indian here.... u can add me.... I login regularly.... exercise regularly.... but eat everything coz on maintenance..
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    thoyamma wrote: »
    Hi ....indian here.... u can add me.... I login regularly.... exercise regularly.... but eat everything coz on maintenance..

Thank you very much. I am really Happy & glad.

• shekhar_crazyguy17
    shekhar_crazyguy17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Indian here from Austin, tx
  • Shalini0072016
    Options

Good morning. How are you?
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Not Indian this time around, but perhaps in my last life. :). Would that count? ;).
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    Not Indian this time around, but perhaps in my last life. :). Would that count? ;).

Ha ha ha :smiley: May be :wink:
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Indian! here
    Hi there :)
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Hey, not Indian, Canadian. But am looking for low cal Indian recipes... maybe vegetarian or chicken... anyone have any ideas?
  • metpalash
    metpalash Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Hey, not Indian, Canadian. But am looking for low cal Indian recipes... maybe vegetarian or chicken... anyone have any ideas?
    Well. I am vegetarian. So, I can suggest you Indian cuisine which are low on calories.

Pulkhas( made of wheat flour)
    Poriyal - Add any number of vegetables( a side dish, eaten with rice, pulkhas & chapathi).
    Bitter guard fry( add lots of tomatoes to it, tamarind water & a small piece of jaggeryjaggery, it will reduce the bitterness)

There are many. You can ask me anytime.
    As I love cooking very much.

I am more good in North Indian, than South Indian. Though I am a South Indian.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    metpalash wrote: »
    Hi

Hi there. How are you?
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in the United States, and am of Indian descent.

And I've spent a lot of time in India, so I know what the lifestyle is like. I think in India, it's very hard to gain weight in the first place, because they just don't have the lifestyle of excess we do in America. But if you do manage to gain weight in India, it's waaaaay harder to lose. The idea of fitness isn't mainstream and in cities it's almost impossible to go for a run without running into someone within three seconds. Plus, in the same way that people don't really indulge in excess, they are really suspicious of deprivation, too.

Plus, the food is sooooo good.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I really like this person's blog for healthy Indian recipes with American ingredients. Both of these belong to the same person, and you can narrow down by ingredient.

http://www.themahanandi.org/
    http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/

She has a few high calories and western dishes too, but you can sort those out. Mostly I like her blog because she uses whole grains/unrefined grains, while a lot of Indian bloggers and recipe sites use white rice and white sugar and such.

I also like the youtube channel of this lady right here, Gayatri. However, her English isn't the best and her videos aren't all in English either. But she shows all the ingredients before cooking, so if you can recognize the ingredients it's pretty easy to see how to cook them. She uses white rice, but I myself either eat brown rice or a side of lowfat cottage cheese with the curries instead of white rice.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gayatrivantillu
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    I was born and raised in the United States, and am of Indian descent.

And I've spent a lot of time in India, so I know what the lifestyle is like. I think in India, it's very hard to gain weight in the first place, because they just don't have the lifestyle of excess we do in America. But if you do manage to gain weight in India, it's waaaaay harder to lose. The idea of fitness isn't mainstream and in cities it's almost impossible to go for a run without running into someone within three seconds. Plus, in the same way that people don't really indulge in excess, they are really suspicious of deprivation, too.

Plus, the food is sooooo good.

That's right. Half the population is diabetic & obese. The rest, find it hard to have one full square meal and the children are malnutrition.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options

I really like this person's blog for healthy Indian recipes with American ingredients. Both of these belong to the same person, and you can narrow down by ingredient.

http://www.themahanandi.org/
    http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/

She has a few high calories and western dishes too, but you can sort those out. Mostly I like her blog because she uses whole grains/unrefined grains, while a lot of Indian bloggers and recipe sites use white rice and white sugar and such.

I also like the youtube channel of this lady right here, Gayatri. However, her English isn't the best and her videos aren't all in English either. But she shows all the ingredients before cooking, so if you can recognize the ingredients it's pretty easy to see how to cook them. She uses white rice, but I myself either eat brown rice or a side of lowfat cottage cheese with the curries instead of white rice.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gayatrivantillu

Rice is staple food of India. If you come to Tamil Nadu. There no single family, which can go, without eating white rice. Still, they remain slim & fit.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I know it would be hard to stay under my calorie goal if I had constant access to that bread they bake at the Taos Pueblo.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Well I have been a active volunteer, with Isha foundation, where they teach yoga. I have been doing yoga from past 8 years. Though not on a regular basis. Basically I am a loner, so it's hard for me to find real friends & stay away from plastics.

why are you staying away from plastics?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

why are you staying away from plastics?

giphy.gif