Finding time to exercise......

Options
Does anyone else have a hard time squeezing in time for exercise during the day? I think for me it's a combination of being short on time as well as motivation. :* Any tips?

Replies

• royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was giving a bit of advice a while back. Choose something that you can do when you have very little time.. The minimum that you know you can complete. Mine happens to be a walk around the lake near me, That equals two miles. You will find when you do it you will always add to it. I have also now added a half hour walk in a local park during my lunch hour.. Use that time to call your mother or some friend. The time will fly by.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I work online [sitting and wrecking my back] from my house long hours 3 days a week - not enuogh time to go to my gym. I try and get 30 minutes walk in before I start.

I get a thirty minute break. I have it organized to grab my coat and shoes and do a 25 minute walk - I have several routes to get variety. If its raining I do stretches and kettlebells.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Make time and plan it into your schedule. I get up early to do a workout before school(dvd video or treadmill) and then do another 30 min in the weight room or around the track before going home.
  • challengeme616
    challengeme616 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first joined the gym I was worried I wouldn't have the time or motivation to go. My personal trainer told me "make it an appointment you can't miss". On days when I'm feeling short on time or not motivated I tell myself I'll spend at least 15 minutes and if I don't want to or don't have time for more that will have to be enough. Usually I end up going for a little longer though.
  • tjsquires
    tjsquires Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can speak for the not motivated part. I hate working out -- the feeling of not eeing able to breat and the soreness in the morning. Luckily for me, my mom signed me and the rest of my family up for a 5k. I totally didn't what-so-ever want to finish last. I started by walking 20 minutes 3 times per week to get into it. Once I started feeling/noticing improvement in that, I got more motivated and wanted to do more. It's helped my mood and, really, it's 20 mintues.

Find time for it. Even if it's ten minutes, five, do it. Also, i've started using a smaller water bottle so I'd have to walk more steps to fill it. This helped me drink more water which made me have to walk to the restroom more...I've started taking the stairs at university, taking the longer rout and walking faster, just anything I can find to squeeze a few minutes in.

Don't stop, either. I caught myself, due to the weather, cheating myself and finding it way too easy to just not do it. I'm paying for it with sore muscles and annoyence at myself. Hope this helps -- my own personal method. You'll find something that works for you if you truely want to! Best of luck to you!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I joked on Facebook a while back that the gym was my 2nd job. It really is to an extent. Luckily I work afternoon all but one day, so I get up early, about 8 and get to the gym by 10 or so. I am there until 12:15. I barely have enough time to get home and ready for work. I am just in the mindset that I need to get up and get to the gym.

Even if I don't get there until 11, I get through as much as I can.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    schedule it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Say you have 16 hours to find time. Let's take off 8 hours for work and 3 hours for commuting and getting ready time. That's still 5 hours to find time. Add in 2 hours for morning and dinner prep. You still have 3 hours. And even if you wanted to take an hour off to just veg out, that's still 2 hours to find time. So is it really time or lack of wanting to do it altogether?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Say you have 16 hours to find time. Let's take off 8 hours for work and 3 hours for commuting and getting ready time. That's still 5 hours to find time. Add in 2 hours for morning and dinner prep. You still have 3 hours. And even if you wanted to take an hour off to just veg out, that's still 2 hours to find time. So is it really time or lack of wanting to do it altogether?

Please add two children to your calculation.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jendmcloud wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a hard time squeezing in time for exercise during the day? I think for me it's a combination of being short on time as well as motivation. :* Any tips?

What does a normal day look like for you?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I work from home and have days where I have to sit for 8 hours or more and type, so what I try to do is every hour, get up and walk 1/2 mile. If I can't squeeze in 10 minutes, then I'll do 1/4 mile, which takes 5 minutes or less. I have a treadmill, so this is easy for me to do but if I didn't have that, a quick walk around my block is roughly .4 miles, so I have done that sometimes, too, especially on nice days. Anything, if even for a few sporadic, quick minutes, is better than nothing!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There are alot of people on MFP juggling work, home, family, maybe an elderly parent or a second job. Every thread on this topic comes down to this--is it a priority for you to get fit? You can lose weight without it, but fitness has wonderful advantages. You have to decide yourself, make a daily appointment with yourself, and just do it. Some do excercise DVDs at home. There is always a way.
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Scandinavianblonde Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You do it whether you have the time or not. I have been waking up at 5 am to go running, and then I typically work out right after work as well.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    75in2013 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Please add two children to your calculation.

I have two children, and I've made time enough to exercise an hour a day.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You'll never "find time" to do anything. What you've gotta do is figure out your priorities, and make the time accordingly for the activities you feel are important.

I figure an hour a day adds days to my life, so in the end, I make the time to exercise daily. I will hazard most everyone on this forum is on the internet for at least 1 hour a day, and watches 2 hours a day of TV.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it's a priority then you will do it. Plan it. Commit to it. Set goals.

How much TV do you watch? Watch less!

Even if you struggle to find a large time slot for exercise shorter slots are very possible for almost everyone.
    Building incidental activity into your routine is also very valuable - walk/cycle instead of driving, stairs whenever available, spend less time on your *kitten* and more time on your feet.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If it's a priority then you will do it. Plan it. Commit to it. Set goals.

How much TV do you watch? Watch less!

Even if you struggle to find a large time slot for exercise shorter slots are very possible for almost everyone.
    Building incidental activity into your routine is also very valuable - walk/cycle instead of driving, stairs whenever available, spend less time on your *kitten* and more time on your feet.

If you are physically capable, you can even jog in place while watching TV instead of sitting on the couch.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:
    1) make it a priority in your day. If you have to, put it as an appointment in your phone/calendar and don't cancel that "appointment."
    2) Pick something you like. Do you like dancing? Try Zumba. Do you like walking? Go do that. Biking? Get a bike to ride. You're more apt to want to do and stick with something you enjoy.
    3) You don't have to do a lot of working out at once. If you only have 15 minutes, do something. Dance around the house, walk around the block, do body weight stuff (push-ups, air squats, burpees, lunges, etc.).
    4) Do you watch TV in the evening? During commercial breaks do the same as above: walk around the living/family room, push-ups, squats, etc.. During 2 half hour shows, you can get almost a half hour workout in if you workout just during the commercial breaks.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I once heard a quote (I'm paraphrasing here) that said -saying that you don't have time for something, is really saying that it isn't your priority. You make time for what is important. If it isn't important to you, you'll find an excuse. I think struggling with motivation is why you can't find time. Look at your day and think of all the things you do that are unnecessary. Consider-could you wake up earlier and get in a workout? Could you get in something on a lunch break? Could you do something immediately after work? Could you prepare better for your week on Sunday's so cooking and household duties don't get in the way? A lot of having time is also preparation. Make a plan and stick to it. Recommit daily and remember why you are working out in the first place.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You have to make yourself a priority. Scheduling a workout, joining a gym, purchasing equipment? None of this makes a bit of difference if you aren't willing to make the commitment to yourself. Busy? Yeah, we all are. I work 40 hours a week in an office, 16 on call, have a toddler and a husband who works 70+ hours a week. If I want to work out, I HAVE to be committed to myself. I HATE waking up early...but it's the only time I have to fit in a workout...so I do it. I might swear under my breath the entire drive to the gym, but I do it. Because I'm committed. It took me a while to get there, because I wasn't fully committed...I always had an excuse as to why I couldn't fit it in. I had to stop making excuses for myself.

I still hate early mornings...but now I have something first thing every day to be proud of myself for.