Walking on the spot

Options
I know this probably sounds weird and it's not something that I'll be planning on doing every day but I'm sitting on the lounge watching TV thinking how bad I feel because I haven't done my at home workout that I've been doing. Recently when I've been on this situation I've gone for an hour walk once hubs and bubs are in bed but it's a bit scary out there in the dark by myself, we have squeaky wooden floorboards throughout the house so jumping around the lounge room once everyone is asleep just isn't practical and I don't have the money or the room for things like treadmills etc.
So I was thinking if I just walked on the spot (boring I know) while I watched my shows would surely burn something?

Just after some other people's opinions please :-)

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I do not like to walk in the dark, either.
    I go for a walk at lunch time, 30 minutes at least.
    At the end of my day, I try to walk from the metro station (another 30 minutes)
    These 2 walkings are contingent upon the weather.
    In case of rain or snow, I swing to the nearest shopping mall and I just walk every wall there is. I usually can achieve 6k-7k steps. I do not buy anything, just window shopping.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes it will. I do this if i havent met my steps for my fitbit even on rest days, i will walk on spot to ensure i at least get my steps. :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's better than nothing. The only thing is it may be difficult to estimate what the speed would be.
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :smile:
    I probably wouldn't bother logging it as exercise and just have it as a bonus because I agree that it would be too hard to estimate speed. It probably wouldn't burn alot but it's got to burn more then sitting on the couch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I know this probably sounds weird and it's not something that I'll be planning on doing every day but I'm sitting on the lounge watching TV thinking how bad I feel because I haven't done my at home workout that I've been doing. Recently when I've been on this situation I've gone for an hour walk once hubs and bubs are in bed but it's a bit scary out there in the dark by myself, we have squeaky wooden floorboards throughout the house so jumping around the lounge room once everyone is asleep just isn't practical and I don't have the money or the room for things like treadmills etc.
    So I was thinking if I just walked on the spot (boring I know) while I watched my shows would surely burn something?

I do Walk At Home videos. These are walking in place for awhile, do side steps for awhile, then knee lifts, add some arm movements....better than just walking in place (uses more, different muscles). These are low enough impact to not tick off your neighbors. An exercise mat can muffle noise even more. The music is fast paced enough to bring your heart rate up (140 BMP). Log as low impact aerobics.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I walk in the dark all the time. Canada, so it's dark early all winter... Depending on the neighborhood you live in, you are probably fine, and you don't need to go far, you can just walk up and down your own block.

The worst thing I've ever had to deal with was giving a coyote a good bloody scare to get it to stop following me.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, why are you walking after your husband and kids are in bed? Why can't you all go out and take a walk together?
  • saf4ron
    saf4ron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been known to do this. . Just to keep active later at night . All movement is good.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I did Walk Away the Pounds for a long while! Leslie Sansone does a pretty good walking workout. She is a little chipper but I found her likeable.

Now I make time during daylight to get out there (walking at work is a lifesaver). I'm kind of cowardly to be much out at night. More worried about people/cars than animals though.
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I walk in place all the time while I'm watching TV. Moving is always better than not moving, and it's almost always raining here.

I switch it up by walking with my feet apart, pulling my knees up higher, punching with my arms while I walk, or walking with weights. Do what you can do!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    walking on the spot is better than sitting. Even just standing is way better than sitting.
  • dbarnes724
    dbarnes724 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's not crazy at all, I'll do that or jog in place to get my steps in at the end of the day
  • freakymistkd
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. @TeaBea that's sounds great I'll be definitely looking into it. @CassidyScaglione I'm sure I'd be fine but I find myself running crazy scenarios in my head and spook myself so it's just not enjoyable at all. @liftsalltheweights we do all walk together to the playground or to visit grandma but they just feel like normal every day activities to me and I don't count them as exercise. We do also take our daughter for walks in her pram (she's only 2) this is only for odd days that I feel like I haven't got enough in.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I jump rope to ramp up the intensity. It burns quite a lot of calories.
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's moving & counts. I'd log it since it does count towards your exercise minutes.

I'm just curious, too, like liftsalltheweights is - why can you not go out for a walk with your family? Just curious, as I said. :smile:
  • freakymistkd
    Options
    @MichelleNRgzed I've kind of already answered that question but I'll go into more detail, we do go for leisurely walks together to the playground and the shops and things. My daughter is only 2 and obviously wouldn't be able to walk for an hour at a decent pace but also is too active to just sit in her pram for an hour while hubby and I walk. During the working week I try and walk her to her little playgroups or if we decide to go to the beach but weather isn't always permitting for that also hubby leaves for work at 6am and doesn't get home till 5:30pm at which time it's dinner, bath, bed for our daughter by the time that's all done its 7pm, then hubby and I have our dinner together and he's in bed by 9pm which is when, only on the days I/we haven't done a decent amount of walking or running around, I'll be planning on doing this. It's certainly not something I'm planning on doing everyday this is just for the odd days that I feel I haven't done enough.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You are a busy mama! Good for you making time for yourself and your health. My kids are older now, but I certainly remember those days well. It's SO worth it to make a little time for yourself. Good luck. Oh, and its definitely worth walking in place to get a few more steps in. Lisa Lillian, The Hungry Girl, calls it "housewalking".