Ground flax seed

Options
TGraceS
TGraceS Posts: 23 Member
I've been trying to incorporate flax seed into my diet but I am hating the way it changes the consistency of my protein shakes. It makes it really thick, like melted ice cream even though I'm cutting it with water. Is it just me? Is there an alternative? I'm not a big fan of a lot of veggies so I'm mostly wanting the fiber benefits, though the other perks are nice too.

Replies

• bamfgoals
    bamfgoals Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How much of it are you using? I only put a tablespoon (about 10g) in a giant shake and it doesn't do anything for texture or taste. Is your flaxseed fresh? If the problem is definitely flaxseed, you can switch it out for Chia or other alternatives.
  • angie_kins
    angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I mix a tablespoon of it into 1 cup of yogurt.
  • TGraceS
    Options
    bamfgoals wrote: »
    How much of it are you using? I only put a tablespoon (about 10g) in a giant shake and it doesn't do anything for texture or taste. Is your flaxseed fresh? If the problem is definitely flaxseed, you can switch it out for Chia or other alternatives.
    Yeah I definitely don't use a whole serving. 8-10g depending on how big my spoonful is. I make it with 8oz unsweetened cashew milk, gold standard protein powder, and water. The taste is fine, it's just super thick. As far as freshness, I just opened the package yesterday.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Flax absorbs water and gloops up anything you put it in. One possible solution would be to drink it fast, before it has time to thicken. Bamfgoal is right about the amount: the more you use the faster it thickens. As a replacement hemp seeds work well; chia will thicken your smoothie just like flax would.
    I put ground flax in my oatmeal to take advantage of the thickening properties. It works with oat bars, cold/overnight oats, steel cut or even with instant packets - just remember to add a 1:4 flax to liquid ratio in addition to what you'd use for the oats.
    Grinding flax is better than eating the whole seed because it digests better, but many people use the whole seeds in baking. Vegans use flax+water in the ratio mentioned above as a replacement for eggs.
  • olenka731
    olenka731 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Both flax seeds and chia seeds get a gelatinous covering when soaked in liquid. I actually eat both (1T each) as a morning cereal (+ dried cranberries) which gets thick (like oatmeal) when cooked in the microwave 3 minutes (cook with 1/3c water and when it's thickened up, add 1/3 cup Silk coconut milk). I add 1/4tsp each of cinnamon, ginger & vanilla, and usually top with a 1/2 cup fresh blueberries. Very filling and tasty.
  • olenka731
    olenka731 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    P.S. I use WHOLE flax seeds and chia for the morning cereal.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    when I use flax, I always use less than it calls for. I get bad heartburn otherwise.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Flax seed just doesn't work for me. I never heard of it producing heart burn until Mostly Water mentioned that, so now I know it wasn't the low fat yogurt I add it to. Its supposed to do things. But expectations have been completely disapointed as far as aiding lower tract digestion goes.
    At one time I thought it was the answer, eapecially for the good oil thing. So now I'm stuck with about 1000 grams I bought at a discount. Once in a while I eat it in yogurt if I crave fat but only have no fat yogurt left in the fridge instead of my full fat greek. I pre grind flax, thus processing most of the value of the omega 3 right out of it.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I put 5-10g in every smoothie and I NEVER notice it. I put cacao nibs in, and I notice those, but the seeds I use get ground up. Try a smoothie instead of a "protein shake"?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Flax seed just doesn't work for me. I never heard of it producing heart burn until Mostly Water mentioned that, so now I know it wasn't the low fat yogurt I add it to. Its supposed to do things. But expectations have been completely disapointed as far as aiding lower tract digestion goes.
    At one time I thought it was the answer, eapecially for the good oil thing. So now I'm stuck with about 1000 grams I bought at a discount. Once in a while I eat it in yogurt if I crave fat but only have no fat yogurt left in the fridge instead of my full fat greek. I pre grind flax, thus processing most of the value of the omega 3 right out of it.

???

Isn't that how you get to the omega-3's --- by grinding them?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I misinterpreted what you wrote lol. Carry on.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »

???

Isn't that how you get to the omega-3's --- by grinding them?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I misinterpreted what you wrote lol. Carry on.

I read it the same as you.

Grinding flaxseed releases the omega 3's so the body can absorb them.

• augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't think flax seed is good for drinkable stuff. It's too thick.

I think it's better for food. I put it in my oatmeal. I use McCann's quick cooking steel cut oatmeal. After it I finish cooking the oatmeal, I take it off the heat and add lots of ground flaxseed to it (I heard cooking takes away health benefits). It gives the oatmeal a good texture.

I've heard of people using it to top yogurt or cottage cheese, too, but I'm not a fan.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    flax and chia are great mixed in yogurt and adding some fruit doesn't hurt.
  • TGraceS
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely try it out in my oatmeal and yogurt!