Holy bloated!?

Options
Okay, so, I don't often make posts here. But long story short, been working on losing my pregnancy weight. I am about 3.5 lbs from making it (yay!). I usually weigh on Mondays (to keep me somewhat accountable over the weekends ha!) and Fridays. My BF is at 21 % (measures with both measure tape and calipers.) and it is worth mentioning that I do weight all my food, always. So I know I haven't under or overestimated, and I am not close to the time of the month (Actually I still haven't gotten it back since I had my baby) Anyway, Well, yesterday was a fairly crappy food day. Drank some beer, had Chipotle (the 800 cal entry under quick add) and some icky salty processed foods. And this morning, when I weighed, I expected some bloat, but holy bloat batman. I went from 123.5 -128.5. Is this like. Normal? I can't help but freaking out a little bit. Am I being silly...? I sually don't drink beer, eat chipotle or cereal, but can that have THAT much of an effect? qtawl7mvursh.jpg

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Beer will have that effect on me.
    At first I thought I had a Gluten intolerance, but I'm finding out it's yeast that causes my grief. Beer, bread, all give me "5 month pregnant" bloat.
    Rice and pasta, not so much (unless I over eat)
  • lillemeddy85
    lillemeddy85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Beer will have that effect on me.
    At first I thought I had a Gluten intolerance, but I'm finding out it's yeast that causes my grief. Beer, bread, all give me "5 month pregnant" bloat.
    Rice and pasta, not so much (unless I over eat)

Ahhh, maybe it is the beer. I usually drink white wine or Captain, but I am a beer lover. I stay away from the beers when I try to cut/lose weight. I have never seen a bloat like this, apart from on like. CRAZY food days like Thanksgiving, where I tend to go a little nuts. But like 600 calories over my maintenance weight? Never. Thanks for the beer advice. Makes sense.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on the baby and weight loss, I am postpartum too. I've experienced days of crazy water retention like that. Usually it is only 2-3 lbs, but I have on a few rare occasions had a 5 lb jump. I weigh every morning and the 5 lb increase wouldn't be from one night to the next but usually over the course of 2 days. It wasn't like I ate or drank severely badly, just a little out of the norm, so it is always pretty unnerving. However it always goes away, not usually overnight but 2 nights (rarely 3). Just drink a lot of water and eat how you normally would, do a bit of cardio if you are an exerciser (I am really into exercise, I find that when I do big strength workouts I go up about a pound the day after, so with bloat times I stick to intense cardio for the day after).
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A five pound gain overnight after eating salty food? No, it is likely water weight from the sodium. This happens to me every time I eat fast food of any type. It also can happen with high sodium box meals (check your rice box). Chipotle and Cheetos are both salt bombs. If you have logged everything accurately, then the most you could add from a day like this is 1072 / 3500 = 0.31 lbs. That is the amount you overate. However, if you only weigh twice a week and have calorie deficits from the previous days, it can be even less. All the rest is water weight and will be gone within a couple days - so long as you don't continue to eat high quantities of salt.

Drink a proper amount of water and you will be back to normal soon.
  • lillemeddy85
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Hi, congrats on the baby and weight loss, I am postpartum too. I've experienced days of crazy water retention like that. Usually it is only 2-3 lbs, but I have on a few rare occasions had a 5 lb jump. I weigh every morning and the 5 lb increase wouldn't be from one night to the next but usually over the course of 2 days. It wasn't like I ate or drank severely badly, just a little out of the norm, so it is always pretty unnerving. However it always goes away, not usually overnight but 2 nights (rarely 3). Just drink a lot of water and eat how you normally would, do a bit of cardio if you are an exerciser (I am really into exercise, I find that when I do big strength workouts I go up about a pound the day after, so with bloat times I stick to intense cardio for the day after).

Ahhh. Thanks! Yeah, I do work out. Its my favorite hobby. Haha. I have a full gym on my porch, olympic barbell, 300 + pounds of weights, bench, squat rack etc. I did join a new heavy weight circuit class Saturday, and I am terribly sore all over. Maybe that has something to do with it as well. I have never really used a scale much in my life, not until after the pregnancy really... so I am not used to seeing these crazy weight fluctuations. :dizzy: Thanks for the advice. It happens to be cardio day today anyway! :smiley:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Chipotle = sodium, sodium, sodium - water, water, water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Chipotle = sodium, sodium, sodium - water, water, water.

This.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lol
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Sodium from Chipotle and the beer - it will take about three days of drinking water like a maniac before it officially lets go.
  • lillemeddy85
    Options
    See. I never eat out really. Its like the third time I've had Chipotle ever. Haha. That it could have such adverse effects, I didn't know. Thanks guys for the pat on my back.
  • lillemeddy85
    Options
    codygish wrote: »
    A five pound gain overnight after eating salty food? No, it is likely water weight from the sodium. This happens to me every time I eat fast food of any type. It also can happen with high sodium box meals (check your rice box). Chipotle and Cheetos are both salt bombs. If you have logged everything accurately, then the most you could add from a day like this is 1072 / 3500 = 0.31 lbs. That is the amount you overate. However, if you only weigh twice a week and have calorie deficits from the previous days, it can be even less. All the rest is water weight and will be gone within a couple days - so long as you don't continue to eat high quantities of salt.

Drink a proper amount of water and you will be back to normal soon.

Thanks man. I figured, but I have never seen a bloat like this, ever.

ITS NOT A TUMOR!
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and Chipotle adds at least 3 pounds to me, for a good week. It is all the salt they use in the rice, have you ever seen them make it? That is why it is yummy to me, I love salty food but my scale doesn't.
  • lillemeddy85
    Options
    fvtfan wrote: »
    I weigh every day and Chipotle adds at least 3 pounds to me, for a good week. It is all the salt they use in the rice, have you ever seen them make it? That is why it is yummy to me, I love salty food but my scale doesn't.

Wow, no, I have never seen them make it. I love salty food too. <3 And nah, the scale hates it I suppose. I mean, I have seen a 2-3 bloat gain before. But 5? That is a lot. Lol.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love your picture! Sooo cute!
  • lillemeddy85
    Options
    I love your picture! Sooo cute!
    Thank you!! He is my world.