Need a reality check after a bad weekend;)

Options
Hi all!
Agh, fell off the wagon HARD this weekend -carbs, sugar, beer (gasp!!). I need some support and motivation to keep things moving. I've been eating a protein heaving diet for about three weeks now and last week started "sneaking" little bits of carbs - a bite of cookie here, a piece of toast there and then BAM! full blown binge:(

I'm really struggling with what healthy eating means. High protein? High fiber? Veggies? Meat? Shakes? Bars? Argh!!

I remember feeling this way the first time I did WW years ago, you could eat all their processed crud but if you wanted a piece of fruit it blew your points for the day.

I want an eating plan that is based around whole foods, family friendly and relatively convenient - is that a pipe dream?

Also, how bad is a binge weekend? I didn't track but I know it was ugly.

Thanks for *listening* to me ramble;)

~Lindsay

Replies

• Beehappybaby
    Beehappybaby Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just take it as a blip. We all have them, just start again from now. People get results differently, I get the best results cutting the rubbish carbs out! healthy eating is about balance.... and you have to be realistic to what suits your lifestyle etc..! I could never maintain on a shakes/bar type diet as it just didnt fit me! try to eat 3 meals, lots of water and ditch the processed foods! that is a good start! and don't worry about the past... look to the future! good luck sweetie :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    tisdalla wrote: »
    Hi all!
    Agh, fell off the wagon HARD this weekend -carbs, sugar, beer (gasp!!). I need some support and motivation to keep things moving. I've been eating a protein heaving diet for about three weeks now and last week started "sneaking" little bits of carbs - a bite of cookie here, a piece of toast there and then BAM! full blown binge:(

I'm really struggling with what healthy eating means. High protein? High fiber? Veggies? Meat? Shakes? Bars? Argh!!

I remember feeling this way the first time I did WW years ago, you could eat all their processed crud but if you wanted a piece of fruit it blew your points for the day.

I want an eating plan that is based around whole foods, family friendly and relatively convenient - is that a pipe dream?

Also, how bad is a binge weekend? I didn't track but I know it was ugly.

Thanks for *listening* to me ramble;)

~Lindsay

I did a similar thing. no tracking for two days. scales up a little. just starting again today. its cool. i'm not perfect :) or even close to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    carbs aren't "bad"....there are tons of nutritious sources of carbohydrates. as far as "healthy" goes...see all of those whole foods in your grocery store...eat those...they're good for you. lean protein, veggies, fruit, whole grains, starches, legumes, lentils, healthy fats from things like nuts, avocados, cooking with good oils, etc...

when you stop paying attention to woo, nutrition is pretty common sense.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You only 'fell off the wagon' if you stop. Just pick things back up today and move on. Do yourself a favor, and read through the most helpful posts - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    There is no such thing as 'bad foods' (in a general sense) though there are foods that give you bigger bang for the buck and fuel your body better (especially when doing serious workouts), for most of us it's about how many calories we consume versus how many we use (Calories In Calories Out - CICO).
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat according to the American nutrition guide if you are feeling lost? Low carb is a fad, high protein is for lifters more than average Joe. Paleo is a fad, keto is a fad... Almost no one sticks with those things forever.

Choose a nice, easy, balanced set of macros and let the calorie deficit do its work.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I feel you - we all have bad days (or week, or months), but the key is to acknowledge it happened, and then start again. Don't beat yourself up about it. Forgive yourself and move on.

If you are able to, eat the things you like that fit into your calorie goals. In the past, I have done low carb, no carb, cut out alcohol, no fried foods, etc. For me, those things weren't sustainable. I love carbs! I love alcohol! I love french fries! And once I stopped those diets, of course I binged, because I had deprived myself of the things I love to eat.

So now, I try to approach things in a simple way. Nothing is off-limits. NOTHING. I just can't eat the things I love in the amounts I used to eat them. If I want a piece of chocolate, I have it, but I log it and make sure I adjust for the rest of the day.

Most of my diet is filled with sensible, "healthy" things: veggies, fruit, yogurt, nuts, lean meats, complex carbs. But if you look at my diary, you'll also see wine, Girl Scout cookies, chocolate, pizza (!), hamburgers, and so on. You don't have to go low-carb to lose weight, you just have to count your calories and make sure they meet your goals. You can do this!
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Don't give up and try to keep eating the foods you enjoy, just less of them. Really, there are no "bad" foods. With that said, I ate with reckless abandon for the past 2 days also. Move on, it happens. I've already cycled a bit this am and am heading out for a cross fit class. Keep moving your body, it will help. Good luck.
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating means a balance diet - a lot of peeps do 50% carbas, 40% protein, 10% fat... others 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat -- the idea is to eat a balanced meal and to try for your carbs to be fruit or complex rather than from processed and that your protein be of lean nature (thought, I choose a huge steak over chicken or fish any day), and that you consume healthy fats (from nuts, olive oil, etc)

The one thing you DO NOT want to do is to deprive yourself from the things you like - best way to end up with constant binges. Healthier choices require time and patience - but if you want to have a cookie or two, serving size is your best friend -- I eat ice cream almost every night
  • FoxyKickboxer
    FoxyKickboxer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Lindsay,

One way to look at your weekend is you did everything exactly right! Here's why: the Slow Carb diet as described in the book by Tim Ferriss entitled "The 4-Hour Body," actually includes one day a week off the diet. That's right every seventh day you eat HOWEVER YOU WANT. That's part of the diet. It's built in to offer you relief from eating nutrition-dense foods six days a week.

So maybe you did exactly what you needed to do to gear up for five or six more days of eating healthy.

Vegetables, meat, nuts, eggs, sweet potatoes, and beans are all going to keep your body feeling full and nutritionally-sated on days when you're trying to eat healthy food only. I like the 30 days of recipes listed here for great ideas on how to stick to healthy options: nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

Good luck and I hope you have a great week!
    Emily
  • wedgeinthedoor
    wedgeinthedoor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your binge weekend may not have been that bad, considering to put on a pound of fat you need to have 3500 calories extral to what you burn. And if you had a lot of sodium maybe some water weight could have been added. Just drink plenty of water and get back on the horse. I've had binge weeks and its not affected me to much. Good luck and keep smashing ur goals
  • gethntysear
    gethntysear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's horrible to say but I'm relieved I'm not alone :relieved: I too had a weekend of chaos, it was my sister-in-laws (to be) wedding. My fiancee made the cake and I gobbled up as much of the 4 tiers as I could muster, in between eating sweets at the sweetie bar and finally guzzling it all down with beer and tequila. This was then matched the following day, just with more savory goodies to keep me standing due to the hangover :disappointed:

I will be completely honest I do feel guilty, but I did try to prep myself before hand and see this weekend as a one off due to the months hard work leading up to it. It is this I keep reminding myself, it was a one off, I am human and no one can be 100% perfect all the time no matter how much I want to be :innocent: I have to forgive myself and remember all the little victories I did have over the weekend, for instance I was the only one who did show any restraint, my appetite is a lot smaller, I had a half English breakfast (no deep fried hash browns or toast either) rather than the extra large and with out seconds. I danced and made sure I didn't sit for long periods of time. There are many more little triumphs that I have to remind myself of, that actually end up outweighing the bad :relieved:

We're reeducating ourselves! Unfortunately it doesn't happen over night and it takes time to learn a new skill like eating and enjoying being healthy. It's only when you don't learn from your mistakes that you can possibly fail.

Here are some things that have gotten me through today's guilt;
    • I went straight back into my routine, had a energy filled breakfast and went to the gym.
    • I didn't punish myself at the gym but worked hard.
    • I have not starved myself and had a protein filled lunch.
    • Drinking more water today to flush out the sodium and help my body recover
    • Corrected myself when I was mean and called myself horrible names.
    • Trying to forgive myself (this is a process)

As I have just realised and I hope you do too, you are not alone! It is normal to go a little off course every once in a while, it doesn't take long to get back on to it. There are people on here who believe you can do it. I believe you can do it. Use that guilt to succeed, not as an excuse to fail. This weekend is just a reminder of what we don't want to be.

We can do it :smiley:
  • tisdalla
    tisdalla Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I had a balanced breakfast (nonfat Greek yogurt with three tablespoons of homemade granola) and hit the gym and am feeling better already!