Carbs carbs carbs.... Nightmare

ahmedbouazza
ahmedbouazza Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I m always hitting my carbs without achieving my daily calorie count.... And it becomes a hassle figuring out what to eat for the rest of the day. Any tips on high calorie low carbs recipes?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What are your calorie and macro goals, and what do you eat, what do you like?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Worry more about the calorie count. If you have to choose, eat. You might solve your bedtime dilemma by eating a cube of cheese. (Cheese at bedtime can reduce cavities)
    You can avoid this happening by including more protein in to your meals throughout the day.
    Eggs or Greek Yogurt at breakfast.
    Tuna at lunch.
    Chicken breast at dinner.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    If you're not doing low carb/keto, you're free to eat all the carbs you want! They won't hinder weight loss.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    If you're trying to keep your carbs down, and you're meeting your protein goals, you need to eat more fat. That means you can have butter, olive oil, cheese, a burger, chicken roasted with the skin on, full fat dairy products, real cream in your coffee or tea, the choices are yours.....yummm!
  • ahmedbouazza
    My calorie goal is 2095. Carb is 25%. One cup of quinoa and u r almost done for the day. It leaves less room for the rest of the day. For a weight loss program would it be advisable to have more fat then carb ratio or the other way around?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    My calorie goal is 2095. Carb is 25%. One cup of quinoa and u r almost done for the day. It leaves less room for the rest of the day. For a weight loss program would it be advisable to have more fat then carb ratio or the other way around?

For weight loss you need to eat fewer calories than your body uses in a day....period. Plenty of vegetarians who have high carb diets, lose weight.

Protein is the most important macro (for helping to keep lean muscle), then fats.....carbs are whatever is left over, unless you have medical issues.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

A cup of grain, any grain, is going to have a lot of carbohydrates (and also calories). If you want to limit your carbohydrates to 25% or below, you'll probably have to have smaller portions of grains. Or you can choose to eat more carbohydrates.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member

For weight loss, fat vs carbs is really irrelevant.

Is the 25% figure coming from a goal you personally consider important, or just something MFP gave you? Many of the figures are fairly unimportant for most people. Calories are king. Protein helps preserve muscle mass. All the rest is pretty situational.
  • melonaulait
    It doesn't matter for weight loss if you choose to have higher carb or higher fat. I do high carb but I don't lose any faster than before. Calories matter.

You can eat a bigger amount of carbs than you would fat, though. If carbs are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories.
  • ahmedbouazza
    rankinsect wrote: »

Is the 25% figure coming from a goal you personally consider important, or just something MFP gave you? Many of the figures are fairly unimportant for most people. Calories are king. Protein helps preserve muscle mass. All the rest is pretty situational.

It is a personal goal putting more focus on fats (better source of energy specially for work outs)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It is a personal goal putting more focus on fats (better source of energy specially for work outs)

Eating 25% carbohydrates isn't going to hurt you, but carbs are also a great energy source for workouts. Is this fats being a better source based on your personal experience or is it related to a specific goal you're trying to reach?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I like carbs. I get most of mine in fruit, bread and yogurt.
  • melonaulait

Have you tried working out hopped-up on carbs? They are actually a very efficient energy source!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

Then eat more fat, and reduce the portions of carby foods?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2016

That explains why you are hitting that macro so early in the day. 25% for carbs is really a low #, to be honest. My macros are set for 50% carbs/30% fats/20% protein, and I almost always skew those to more protein/less carbs just by the way I eat. Yesterday, for example:

Carbs 44%
    Fat 31%
    Protein 25%

I know a lot of folks that do the 40C/30F/30P split, too. But if you are truly trying to fuel workouts, carbs are your go to nutrient really. Some good quality protein just before or after, some complex carbs, and you are set!

Everyone is so afraid of carbs these days. It's like all carbs got a bad rap and now they are all evil.

I would set a more realistic carb goal since so much of our diet breaks down into the carb macro (fruits, veggies, grains, etc). Proteins and fats are just a smaller percentage of the foods available.

Good luck! Enjoy a carb (or two)!
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016

Are you eating cooked quinoa, and logging dry quinoa? Cooked quinoa has about 39 grams of carbs per cup, 5 of them fiber, which you could opt not to count, and 220 calories. It seems like that couldn't be more than half of your carbs, going by the percentage of your calories.

You can lose weight either way. It's great that you aren't eating sugar, though - totally empty calories better saved for something nutritious. I limit carbs, and save most of them for non-starchy vegetables, and a little oatmeal.
  • ahmedbouazza
    lithezebra wrote: »

Are you eating cooked quinoa, and logging dry quinoa?

You can lose weight either way. It's great that you aren't eating sugar, though - totally empty calories better saved for something nutritious. I limit carbs, and save most of them for non-starchy vegetables, and a little oatmeal.

I guess I need to load more on vegetables. Amy recommendations on high Cal veggies?
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016
    Avocados are a high calorie, low carb vegetable, especially if you subtract the fiber from your carb total. They're nutritious too.

I still think you're logging dry quinoa instead of cooked, because you should be able to have at least 80 or 90 grams of carbs on your current macros.
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016
    Why are you limiting carbs? Is it for health reasons, like blood sugar, or just for weight loss? Both are valid reasons.
  • ahmedbouazza
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Avocados are a high calorie, low carb vegetable, especially if you subtract the fiber from your carb total. They're nutritious too.

I still think you're logging dry quinoa instead of cooked, because you should be able to have at least 80 or 90 grams of carbs on your current macros.

Excellent.... Avocados are always welcomed. Guess need to load more on fish.... Minimal carb