Carbs carbs carbs.... Nightmare

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    High cal veggies are the high carb veggies. To make a leafy veggie high cal you pour oil-based salad dressing on top. And a little feta cheese perhaps. And some nuts.

It is very hard to stick to 25% carbs through the day. Either give yourself more carbs or start eating a lot more fat and protein.

Examples of high carb/starchy veggies; sweet potato, potato, kohlrabi, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, winter squash, and zucchini.
  • jgnatca
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Edamame is an exceptional vegetable with a nearly perfect split of macros, fat, protein, and carb. Another vegetable with this three-way split is the lupin bean, available here at the Italian deli.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Fish is probably no carb! If you're already getting enough protein, more fat will help you meet your calorie goal. Go for the fattier fish.
  • ahmedbouazza
    ahmedbouazza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    High cal veggies are the high carb veggies. To make a leafy veggie high cal you pour oil-based salad dressing on top. And a little feta cheese perhaps. And some nuts.

It is very hard to stick to 25% carbs through the day. Either give yourself more carbs or start eating a lot more fat and protein.

Examples of high carb/starchy veggies; sweet potato, potato, kohlrabi, rutabaga, carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, winter squash, and zucchini.

That 's a good suggestion. Thank you
  • ahmedbouazza
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Fish is probably no carb! If you're already getting enough protein, more fat will help you meet your calorie goal. Go for the fattier fish.

Guess i ll start with that. Thanks a million
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 2095. Carb is 25%. One cup of quinoa and u r almost done for the day. It leaves less room for the rest of the day. For a weight loss program would it be advisable to have more fat then carb ratio or the other way around?

So this reminds me...I read an article and I didn't have time to fact check it so I don't really understand but it said that your *actual* carbs are Carbs minus dietary fiber. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • ahmedbouazza
    Options
    My calorie goal is 2095. Carb is 25%. One cup of quinoa and u r almost done for the day. It leaves less room for the rest of the day. For a weight loss program would it be advisable to have more fat then carb ratio or the other way around?

So this reminds me...I read an article and I didn't have time to fact check it so I don't really understand but it said that your *actual* carbs are Carbs minus dietary fiber. Does anyone know if this is true?

I heard of the same but I have no research to back it and I am not sure if they factor it in here
  • insolito215
    insolito215 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try substituting cauliflower rice for quinoa. The texture is very close to traditional rice with only 25 calories and 3 net carbs. My kids didn't even know the difference.
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016
    Options

That's how I do it. It's important for people with diabetes to check their blood glucose response to fiber. My blood sugar is fine on a moderately low carb diet, counting net carbs (total carbs minus grams of fiber), and my weight is fine too. I don't count fiber because it encourages me to eat more vegetables.

Technically, different people probably get varying amounts of energy (i.e. calories) from fiber, because of gut microbes that can break it down. Some people only subtract insoluble fiber. I subtract all fiber. I hope that I'm feeding the healthy gut microbes.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Seems way too low on carbs...especially if on any sort of calories restriction. Surprised at the low level then saying it is to have energy for a work out...to me that's carbs.
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Seems way too low on carbs...especially if on any sort of calories restriction. Surprised at the low level then saying it is to have energy for a work out...to me that's carbs.

You'll get energy from whatever you eat, be it carbs, protein, or fat. I prefer a diet higher in fat, and have no problem with energy levels. If you eat more protein than you need, you'll use in the same pathways as you would use carbs, or store it as body fat, same as you would by eating an excess of carbs or fat.
  • ahmedbouazza
    Options

Fat is proven to be a more effective source of energy.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Fat just has twice the calories per gram as protein. That doesn't make it superior to carbs or protein, just denser.

Protein offers more than energy. It also has necessary proteins to rebuild muscle. So make sure you are getting your minimum protein daily. This shouldn't be hard if you are trying to limit carbs.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If you subtract the fiber from the carb count, you can eat more fibrous grains vegetables without guilt. This could include foods like cauliflower and pumpkin.
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016
    Options

I prefer it. If you limit carbs and don't severely overdo protein, you'll make ketones, which work just fine as an energy source. People can do it either way. Eating more fat tends to keep me more satisfied with eating less.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Effective for what, exactly? In terms of more energy per gram? Sure.

Otherwise, the energy your body uses is coming from a mix of glycogen stores, fat stores (not consumed fat), and circulating blood glucose and fatty acids. The proportions used depends on the type of exercise you're doing. Fat is Your fat stores are not the best energy source for all types of exercise.

ETA: to say what I meant
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

For weight loss, fat vs carbs is really irrelevant.

Is the 25% figure coming from a goal you personally consider important, or just something MFP gave you? Many of the figures are fairly unimportant for most people. Calories are king. Protein helps preserve muscle mass. All the rest is pretty situational.

It is a personal goal putting more focus on fats (better source of energy specially for work outs)
    Where did you get that idea?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Avocados are a high calorie, low carb vegetable, especially if you subtract the fiber from your carb total. They're nutritious too.

I still think you're logging dry quinoa instead of cooked, because you should be able to have at least 80 or 90 grams of carbs on your current macros.

Excellent.... Avocados are always welcomed. Guess need to load more on fish.... Minimal carb

High calorie / Low carb could include a cheese burger with no bun.
    Or Egg and cheese omelette with bacon or sausage.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

No...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No, it's not. For low intensity activity you mostly burn fat; for high intensity you use glycogen/carbs.