"The Truth About Olive Oil"

Options
2»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I found it funny that there was a pop-up on the site of an "article you might be interested in" entitled: "The Truth about Coconut Oil!" and explaining why it's not good for you as well.

Nothing is good for you, I guess. But I have lots of English relatives who have died from heart disease and lots of Italian relatives who have not, so I might take my chance with olive oil.

Maybe it's not the olive oil that is good but tea is bad #justsayin

Then I am truly doomed.

I am already dead.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    If you burn up what you eat, there's less to go on the inside of your arteries, no matter what you eat.

Um, no sorry. You can be a marathon runner and have high cholesterol which will lead to atherosclerosis sclerosis.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    who4fan wrote: »
    Here is my current philosophy on all foods, eat what you love, no one is getting out alive. Let's face it, even though we strive to live longer and feel good longer as we age, eventually your time is up. Every day there is a new boogey man, saturated fat, trans fat(I do avoid this one, it adds no joy to my life), currently it is added sugar that will do you in according to the hip new trend. I am just going to try to stay within my calorie goal, eat some veg each day and move as much as possible. No more worrying about what the trending horror is.

Sure we're all going to die but why speed up the process with diabetes, arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis? I'd rather live life well then live a life plagued with all sorts of preventable diseases.

I'd rather not be orthorexic and have no evidence that moderate use of olive oil is going to make my health worse.

Where are you people getting that I'm "anti olive oil"? I love olive oil. I use it daily. My point was that eating whatever you want in whatever quantities because "you're going to die any way" is a ludicrous way to look at things. That's like saying you should take unnecessary risks that could possibly endanger your life because "You're going to die anyway".

This thread is about the alleged dangers of olive oil. You responded to someone saying not to worry about it by claiming various dangers. Hardly a stretch to think you were attributing them to olive oil, the actual topic of the thread.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Here is my current philosophy on all foods, eat what you love, no one is getting out alive. Let's face it, even though we strive to live longer and feel good longer as we age, eventually your time is up. Every day there is a new boogey man, saturated fat, trans fat(I do avoid this one, it adds no joy to my life), currently it is added sugar that will do you in according to the hip new trend. I am just going to try to stay within my calorie goal, eat some veg each day and move as much as possible. No more worrying about what the trending horror is.

Sure we're all going to die but why speed up the process with diabetes, arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis? I'd rather live life well then live a life plagued with all sorts of preventable diseases.

I'd rather not be orthorexic and have no evidence that moderate use of olive oil is going to make my health worse.

Where are you people getting that I'm "anti olive oil"? I love olive oil. I use it daily. My point was that eating whatever you want in whatever quantities because "you're going to die any way" is a ludicrous way to look at things. That's like saying you should take unnecessary risks that could possibly endanger your life because "You're going to die anyway".

This thread is about the alleged dangers of olive oil. You responded to someone saying not to worry about it by claiming various dangers. Hardly a stretch to think you were attributing them to olive oil, the actual topic of the thread.

Oh. Ok.

Because no one has ever had a response that had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I had to stop reading when there was a picture of an orangutan next to a heading called "Monkey Trouble". Lost all credibility immediately.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

This is posted on the site of a weight loss resort, where they sell a low fat fad diet program. I can post an article called "the truth about earth: what's wrong with considering earth not flat". It will be equally valid. Maybe even more valid, since I will not be selling anything.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Too lazy to click. I just need to know if I'm going to get cancer or not.

If you do not buy the program advertised in the OP link I bet you are going to get all sorts of nasty illnesses. You are even going to turn into an orangutan. With artereosclerosis.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Re: the bolded - that is not what the poster said. She said that she is going to stay within her calorie goal while eating a healthy diet along with the foods she enjoys. That is a healthy attitude to have.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You can find an article out there saying every single food is bad for you.

buy7b8djkqcp.jpg

I really hope that ice is filtered, natural, organic spring water made from God's tears. Because normal water will kill you too.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

The person you initially responded to never said they were going to eat whatever they wanted in whatever quantities. @who4fan said "eat what you love...I am just going to try to stay within my calorie goal, eat some veg each day and move as much as possible. No more worrying about what the trending horror is."

This is the fun of internet forums. I also took your response of "why speed up the process with diabetes etc." as a sign that you thought olive oil is the devil. Because frankly, it's freakishly hard to eat tons of "bad" food within your calories and with vegetables. Trust me, I've tried. It is more sustainable to eat the "good" stuff.

There's a wide range of food that I enjoy and at some point I have to quit analyzing the health benefits and downsides to things. Olive oil is high enough calorie that I only use a small amount in my daily diet. I'm not worried by it. Same with butter. Hell, same with lard.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Paiger816 wrote: »

buy7b8djkqcp.jpg

I really hope that ice is filtered, natural, organic spring water made from God's tears. Because normal water will kill you too.

Well, chemically speaking, water isn't organic because it doesn't contain carbon.

I guess you're doomed! :wink:
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options

You didn't get my point at all! If you listen to every article that tells you something is bad for you, there will be literally no foods left to eat. Love fish? Nope, mercury. How about chicken? Nope, arsenic (same for rice). You can find articles on just about anything if you look hard enough. As I said, eat what you love in moderation, make sure you make veggies a part of everyday life and get about and move. I never said eat as much as you want of anything. If I felt like that, I would hardly be on a site for tracking calories and exercise, would I.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

You didn't get my point at all! If you listen to every article that tells you something is bad for you, there will be literally no foods left to eat. Love fish? Nope, mercury. How about chicken? Nope, arsenic (same for rice). You can find articles on just about anything if you look hard enough. As I said, eat what you love in moderation, make sure you make veggies a part of everyday life and get about and move. I never said eat as much as you want of anything. If I felt like that, I would hardly be on a site for tracking calories and exercise, would I.

The point of your post wasn't lost on most of us. You can definitely eat the foods that you enjoy and still lose weight - it's all about balance. Keep up the good work and healthy outlook! :smiley:
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Paiger816 wrote: »

buy7b8djkqcp.jpg

Especially if you live in Flint, Michigan...