shoes for training

Options
I've been trying to find a good minimal shoe to wear for my workouts which are a mix of weights, body weight exercises, and short bursts of cardio. I want something that I can achieve good form in. I've been trying out a few cross fit shoes by Reebok, but I find they are too narrow for my feet. I really like New Balance but their Minimus shoes just seems too minimal for me. Can anyone recommend a good training shoe for someone with a wider foot? How are the New Balance Fresh Foams? They seem like they might be too cushy and would mess with form.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't know how minimal they are, but the Asics tend to be wider in the front.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Asics are what I swear by
    A good court shoe,gives u all round comfort
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i wear converse chucks. i dont like to do a lot of cardio in them but they are good for short bursts of cardio during a weight circuit.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    wear any shoes that work for the cardio (running shoes or cross trainers) when doing cardio/body-weight exercises and some of the weights stuff and kick them off when you squat and/or dead lift?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike Free series of trainers. They provide good stability without being too minimalist.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running shoe store. They will let you try some on and jog around in them. That's the best way to know what will work for you. Also supports a local business.
  • billigrrl
    billigrrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running shoe store. They will let you try some on and jog around in them. That's the best way to know what will work for you. Also supports a local business.

Unfortunately, I live in a small town and the local stores (there are 2) don't have have a lot of variety.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I wear Merrell bare access arc. I don't lift daily but I can appreciate having a flatter foot while still being able to get in some cardio. I won't run miles in these, but I'm comfortable in them on an eliptical and I've walked whole theme parks in them. They're a tad narrower than some other shoes, but they still fit very comfortably.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a high arch and require a wider toe box....*LOVE* Merrell! I'm on my second pair in their minimalist line. I do NOT advocate wearing a running shoe to lift in. I prefer to have a zero drop--which the merrells have. HTH!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Can a running store fit you for training shoes?
  • Ammi13
    Ammi13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nike Metcon. The newest version. I have a very wide toe box and they are perfect. I do crossfit in them and HIIT that goes back and forth between weight lifting and cardio and have had 0 problems since I switched to them. Designed for cross training with burst of cardio. I don't recommend using your running shoes for weight lifting as it will play hell on your form.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Minimal type shoes aren't necessarily good for you. If you're doing cardio, you need protection - and that means a trainer, and if you need a wide shoe, look for one.

Running shoes aren't going to be good for you - they only support a front to back motion. With body weight type exercises, you also need a side to side protection. Look for shoes with the following designation: tennis, volleyball, cross trainers, trainers, crossfit. Even cheerleading!
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Can a running store fit you for training shoes?

At the store I work at, we have some options that work...New Balance minimus and others.

For the OP, try out NB Zante...a little more cushion than the Minimus, still a minimal feel and fits the foot really well. NB tends to be more generous in the forefoot.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of inov-8's I got the 250's I really like them. I have wide feet and have no problem with these shoes.
  • billigrrl
    Options
    Ammi13 wrote: »
    Nike Metcon. The newest version. I have a very wide toe box and they are perfect. I do crossfit in them and HIIT that goes back and forth between weight lifting and cardio and have had 0 problems since I switched to them. Designed for cross training with burst of cardio. I don't recommend using your running shoes for weight lifting as it will play hell on your form.

I've always heard Nike were narrow. I'll have to try these, they sound perfect for what I'm doing
  • billigrrl
    Options
    I just got a pair of inov-8's I got the 250's I really like them. I have wide feet and have no problem with these shoes.

Interesting. I've wondered about these. Might have to try them also.
  • billigrrl
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions peeps! I feel like I have some options now :)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'd second Nike Metcons. They run big like has been said. It's the first Nike I've ever worn that fits the way these do and I've been a Nike only person for 20+ years. If you need a roomier shoe, that is good for everything, either first or second gen Metcons would work (I have first gen, second gen add some gimicky stuff for CrossFitters, which I am, but don't find compelling to upgrade now). Pick them up on Amazon or Rogue. Rogue may have all their old styles still on sale. My wife needed a pair of shoes for CF and she has wide feet and orthotics and the Metcons were a no brainer.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love my under armor renegades! I have never kept a pair of shoes through needing new insoles but these are on their second set!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I wear Altras. Wise toe box, zero drop, with enough padding for comfort.