Plus Sized Women's Clothing Recommendations?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Does anyone have stuff to add - at any price point? In particular I'm interested in work out clothes.

I did get some work out clothes at Lane Bryant last year when their new Livi Active line was heavily discounted, but normally I wear things like Danskin leggings from Walmart or yoga pants from Kohl's or Target and random cheap tops.

Yes for workout clothes I just get cheapo stuff from Walmart! I particularly like to find pants that have pockets, which is difficult! So many women's pants do not have pockets!!! I really don't care what my workout clothes look like, I'm not going to the gym to look pretty, I'm going there to get sweaty. So I just find any old cotton pants / sweatpants / comfy loose fitting shorts and a t-shirt. I frequently work out in my Star Wars t-shirt, and it looks like a tent now, lol.

Now if I were going to be competing in a bike race or something more "official" and "public" than the gym, I might try to find something that looks semi- cool...but again, it would probably be from Walmart. lol

Ya, I like a pocket for my MP3 player. I do have an arm band thingy, but my player flops around in it. I'm bringing some clothes to a tailor to be taken in and am going to ask her if she can add a little pocket in my LB leggings.

My yoga pants from Kohl's have pockets. I couldn't find them on the website last time I looked, but the brand is Sonoma.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Old Navy and Kohl's also have great workout (and regular) cloths and they go up in size. Don't forget Walmart and Target.

Hopefully you won't need those sizes for too long anyway!!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    My friend and I love Lane Bryant's and Catherine's. I also appreciate Woman Within. I don't know how long I'll really stay plus-sized, but I'll probably be inclined to shop like that for the rest of my life.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I get most of my clothes from Lane Bryant or Avenue. All my bras/underwear come from LB. I do have a couple of pairs of workout pants from Target in 2x, but generally I hate Target's plus size stuff.
  • rarintogo
    rarintogo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pennington, Giant Tiger,Rickies and Winners are good picks for plus size clothes and accessories. Value Village is a good thrift store in my area, although you have to go regularly for the larger sizes. Learn to sew, patterns are easier to follow these days and you can choose the fabric you like. I find the fabric in women's clothes at Walt Mart is pretty cheesy.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Most of my clothes (workout included) have come from Walmart. I especially love the Rider comfort stretch waistband jeans they have. If I need something fancier, I go to Dress Barn.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    One that hasn't been mentioned is Fashion to Figure. They have some cute styles, everywhere from younger to more sophisticated. I've loved everything I've bought. I also love shopping for clothes at Target and even Kmart, but I live in mostly classic pieces. I can't push myself to buy many expensive things knowing I'm in a transition state. I can't really recommend a brand as I have found that each piece varies in quality and fit no matter the price.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I get most of my clothes from Lane Bryant or Avenue. All my bras/underwear come from LB. I do have a couple of pairs of workout pants from Target in 2x, but generally I hate Target's plus size stuff.

Their regular plus size clothes are hideous!

• jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as much as I love Target the plus-size section is terrible. Plus it's lumped in with maternity, so I'm like, oh, cute top! And it's maternity. :expressionless:

I mostly go to Kohl's, Lane Bryant for work pants and undergarments only - I find they've really gone downhill with everything else quality-wise. I ordered some wide-calf boots from Jessica London, they are fabulous and I love them but now I'm deluged with catalogs, lol.

I'm hoping to get out of plus-size soon though, still in 14s and lost 20 pounds :neutral:
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant and Kohl's were where I'd do my shopping. The Daisy Fuentes stuff at Kohl's always fit me just right.
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Another vote for eShakti. They're fabulous because for just an extra $7.50 they'll tailor their clothes to your dimensions perfectly. I love this because stores like Torrid/Lane Bryant/etc are often too big for me in the boob region if they fit me over the hips/shoulders, eShakti is mostly dresses, but they have pockets!!!! And some pants too.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When I was a size 16 I used to shop at the Plus sized Dress Barn. (I figured I could be the fattest chick in the regular dress barn or the smallest in the plus sized one. The choice was easy). I love their tights and nylons in particular as well as cute jackets. Some of their pants are a little too old lady for me, but my favoritest pair of jeans ever came from there. They also have stuff that comes in short, so if you're like me and Humpty Dumpty you can get a bigger size but not a longer legnth. I hate that stores assume that if you're rocking a 16 that it's because you are 6 foot tall. I'm a 12 now and I don't love their regular sized stuff as much.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I used to shop at torrid, especially when I worked at their sister store and got a 40% employee discount!

I've seen some cute things in the plus dept at Target.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add a request for clothes that are in between plus and regular.

Yesterday I went shopping at Nordstrom in the plus size section. To my surprise, I'm now a 1X in blouses - and they're pretty loose. This is surprising to me, since I'm 228 pounds and I've been plus size since I was 200 pounds. Plus, I was 2X in those same brands when I was 234 pounds ie three weeks ago.

So, I think it's pretty safe to assume that companies have gone through a new round of vanity sizing this season, and that everything is bigger.

So does this extend to regular sizing as well? Is a regular 16/18 bigger than it used to be? The last time I was a 16 I was 190 pounds. Or will I find myself once again in the no (wo)man's land between plus and regular sizing for several months?
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Personally I wish I were a pear - not just for the appearance, but also for the sense of balance it provides by having a lower center of gravity.

Ahhh the grass is always greener ;) Every shape has its challenges!! All I can say is when stretch jeans became popular it made buying jeans alot easier!!

With Boden, you have to consider the cut and actual garment measurements before ruling it out. I regularly wear a 10 in many of their tops, but am a 12/14 in other brands. The looser blouses particularly tend to run large. I'm just glad they have the real measurements on their site. I wish more online retailers would do that!!

• emilyruth88
    emilyruth88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm selling a lot of my clothes... Wanting to save up for a new wardrobe when I hit my weight loss goals! I have all size ranges from 14-20 and Medium through 2X.

Join me on Poshmark, the #1 app to buy & sell fashion. Shop 5,000+ brands at up to 70% off! Sign up with code JMPDL to save $10: https://bnc.lt/m/az63GawCAr

Use that code ⬆️ and we both benefit!!!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I've gotten several items from mycurvystore.com. Not the greatest quality, but I've gotten some cute shirts and dresses. Free shipping and it gets to you pretty fast. Their stuff tends to sell out quickly, especially the larger sizes.
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You might not know, but Ann Tayler, J. Crew and NY&Co all go up to size 18. J. Crew has jeans that go up to a 20. Great for straight legs with a medium to small rear. If you have full hips and large rear try the Jackson fit pants from Banana Republic. :) I also like Old Navy, Cato women's, Lane Bryant (lingerie mostly) and Belle + Sky, Arizona (JCP brands). Second-hand and commission shoppes are awesome too!
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Also, if you can afford it, get your clothes tailored or take up sewing and do it yourself. A $3.00 pair of jeans from the thrift store can look like a $100 pair with the right tailoring for your body type :)
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I didn't know Ann Taylor started carrying larger sizes.

2010 I remember going there and discovering that their size 12 no longer fitted me. I still remember the salesperson telling me that they didn't have any larger sizes. I think that was the last time I tried shopping in a "chain" store.