What's YOUR biggest obstacle to eating healthy?

Options
12346»

Replies

• spacecadetz06
    spacecadetz06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Readily available and convenient food was my problem. I now cook midday meals a week ahead and freeze them.
  • ThickJoker
    ThickJoker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mostly getting bogged down with repetitious foods/flavors.
  • Bourds
    Bourds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Work too long, get too hungry and then eat junk food
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Time is my biggest issue. Most days I get up, drive to the gym (20 miles one way), get back home after a 2 1/2 hour average workout, have just enough time to change, get cleaned up and get to work. Get home from work at 7 or so. I'm not hungry in the morning, and don't have time to eat lunch, so I generally don't eat until 7 or later if I actually have to cook something. Then it could be 8:30. Luckily I don't keep chips or cookies or other junk food in the house, because that would be what I would eat otherwise.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    my baking... the struggle is real. I have started offering random people baked goods after I have a baking urge. At least I'm making friends?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Free food / booze. If I'm at the office and someone brings in anything, sandwich, cookie, candy I take more than my share. I also have trouble at events that have an open bar and passed appetizers. I'll have a few more drinks because 'hey, they're free' vs having to shell out $3-8 for each drink. I'm cheap!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The biggest obstacle for me is the amount of time it takes to cook vegetables in ways that I consider to be delicious. I end up have roasted frozen cauliflower every day, because it's easy and I like it, instead of a variety of veggies.
  • annajwagner
    annajwagner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sweets are a big obstacle for me. I can mostly curb my chocolate craving by only buying rich, dark chocolate and eating max a couple squares a day, which is satisfying still. However, I love to bake and get the urge to do so every so often that just can't be filled with anything else. I do try to bring some cookies in to work so I'm not eating them all, but that only works so much.

Craft beer is another big thing. I love it and would typically have at least a few a week. I've since aimed to have just one or at most two when out and limit my intake at home more.

All that plus the fact that I love to snack and graze, and I generally dislike salad.
  • annajwagner
    annajwagner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    The biggest obstacle for me is the amount of time it takes to cook vegetables in ways that I consider to be delicious. I end up have roasted frozen cauliflower every day, because it's easy and I like it, instead of a variety of veggies.

I could eat roasted frozen cauliflower daily as well. I sometimes eat only that for dinner.

Glazed carrots are also fairly easy and tasty, and asparagus grills well for a bit of variety.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    jademaid wrote: »
    My biggest obstacle is people at work bringing in snacks and offering them to me. I feel bad saying no.

I take it, eat a small bite if they insist on feedback, and then chuck the rest in the trash when they aren't looking.

One of my co-workers noticed me doing this and was amazed that I would have the willpower to just throw the food away. I said sure it tastes good, but I don't want to be fat more than I want to finish this random baked good.

My biggest obstacle is booze. I have found ways to cut way down on the calories in the drinks, but they haven't come up with a zero calorie alcohol yet. COME ON, SCIENCE!!
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    All the cookies and candy my coworkers bring into the office.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I could eat roasted frozen cauliflower daily as well. I sometimes eat only that for dinner.

Glazed carrots are also fairly easy and tasty, and asparagus grills well for a bit of variety.

Good ideas, @annajwagner! Thanks.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one who has trouble at work with proximity of foods --- I caved again this morning for a muffin from the deli that is literally 85 steps away (I have counted) ... stress, overtired, headachy, so extra food. BUT -- I can work out longer tonight and fit it in, so not the worst thing ever.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Mostly my tendency to want to eat whatever I think I shouldn't be eating. Lately that's been baked goods. Breads, cookies, etc.

It's not that I think I shouldn't have them at all. I'll have some every day, and that's not going to stop. Nor does it need to - it's that I know I've been eating too high a proportion of my calories from them. There are days I've not gotten in quite enough veggies and fruit even though I could have with better choices.

It does not help that bread, cookies or cake eaten the night before make excellent and easily digested fuel for early morning runs, while veggies, meat and dairy have been leaving me with acid reflux and/or intestinal issues on the same run.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    hiker583 wrote: »
    Mine is chocolate - I am addicted to it like alcoholics, I can never eat just one square, I eat full bar and then find it harder to go for second one. I also sometimes go into binge cycles where no matter how much and what I eat, I just want more. Still do not know the trigger for that.

That's me! Chocolate is evil, lol. I can't have any in my house or it's all gone before you know it.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Fire house cooking.... these guys wouldn't know healthy if it slapped them in the face
  • maplesyrup10
    maplesyrup10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Nothing stops me from eating healthy. I think anything is healthy enough within the context of a balanced diet. What I struggle with is eating too much in general.

Amen. Portion control is a HUUUGE obstacle