What's YOUR biggest obstacle to eating healthy?

Options

Replies

• amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also eating enough calories. I dont like eating in the morning, and we dont have the bugdget for snacks, so i pretty much have to split my calorie goal between lunch and dinner.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Treats/Comfort eating. Today I had a crummy appointment at the Optometrist, and I almost stopped by Whole Foods to partake of the evil cookies by the pound (it legit would have been 1 or 2 cookies. Maybe 3....dangit) because 'I deserved it'. I talked myself out of it, but it's a close call. I understand I use foods, especially sweet and cheesey foods, as a eating crutch. Last Friday I was able to say no to the spice cake (put right in my face, literally) with no issue.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    beer
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout Cookies ( Just yesterday I was so tempted to buy a box, but instead gave the girl the money and told her to add it a donation but keep the cookies, my NSV for the day)....In the summer soft serve ice cream cones...and never knowing what to make!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    All the food floating around at work... donuts, cookies, sometimes whole meals. At home I don't buy things so I won't eat them, but at work it's another story. Today I had a cookie.
  • jillian909
    jillian909 Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Meal prep. I work 7 days a week and sometimes I just don't feel like doing it. If I don't meal prep then I wake up with no lunch and then my choices are to: 1) Cook lunch and get to work later than I would like; 2) Not eat anything until I get home (but then I have a hard time eating enough calories); 3) Eat out - which I like to limit because a) I have less control over what is in the food; b) it kills me to spend money because of my laziness when I'd much rather spend it on fun stuff; c) There's only so much at Panera Bread I like to eat.

I really like structuring my meals. I listened to a TED Talk once where this guy talked about automating certain things in life because he found it was less stressful and it really resonated with me. There's so many other things to worry about in life that I'd rather take 'what to eat' off my plate (pun intended). I can eat the same stuff for lunch everyday I just need.... to prep it.

ETA: Punctuation.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Laziness is my obstacle, I have a hard time prompting myself to cut up some veggies and bring those with hummus, or a nice boiled egg instead of grabbing a bag of chips, and I find them even more difficult to log than a bag of chips because weighing and cutting and bleh.
    I found putting aside an hour or two one day a week to prep some of my food is very helpful. So I'll cook about 5 chicken breasts for the week, cut up all my veggies and weigh them and boil a couple of eggs and just average those things out for seven days and log them at once, then anything extra I use on top of that I just log the day of, saves a lot of time .
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My obstacle is insomnia and the sweet cravings that come while I'm awake in the wee hours of the morning.

This for me too - especially when I know that just 200 cal of energy bar type carbos will knock me right out for at least the remaining 4 hours of the night - I sometimes succumb, and it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't put me over. ... it used to be 600-1200 cals in the middle of the night, which made me feel like crap!
  • brightresolve
    Options
    Jillian, Nikki, great inspiration about preparing and planning for success. Thanks for the reminders!
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    inglysh731 wrote: »
    Sometimes I simply don't know what I should even eat... or how much.
    Rode the bike for 5.5 hrs today... had a pound of pasta salad, 2 lb pork tenderloin, a hefty sweet potato... still need to eat 1200-1500 calories... but of what, I have no idea.
    I have a case of Guinness in the garage, kind've want to drink the calories.

Edit: Sometimes I wish that I was told what to eat instead of having to figure it out myself.
    I wish I could ride a bike for 5.5 hours...Wow!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the fact that I hate to cook. I mean just HATE it. I don't like things that take even 30 minutes to make. I want instant gratification. So you see how easy it is to rely on takeout in this situation.

I've been combatting this by buying a lot of frozen stuff. Frozen veggies, frozen fully-cooked chicken breasts, etc., that I can just throw in the microwave and be done with it. Seems to be working okay.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The change in diet is kind of painful on the tummy sometimes.
  • brightresolve
    Options
    For me, it's the fact that I hate to cook. I mean just HATE it. I don't like things that take even 30 minutes to make. I want instant gratification. So you see how easy it is to rely on takeout in this situation.

I've been combatting this by buying a lot of frozen stuff. Frozen veggies, frozen fully-cooked chicken breasts, etc., that I can just throw in the microwave and be done with it. Seems to be working okay.

Sounds like you've worked out a great way to deal with it - I try to do work lunches like this to avoid too much prep.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    being a woman- this da*n low TDEE kills me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Hope228 wrote: »
    inglysh731 wrote: »
    Sometimes I simply don't know what I should even eat... or how much.
    Rode the bike for 5.5 hrs today... had a pound of pasta salad, 2 lb pork tenderloin, a hefty sweet potato... still need to eat 1200-1500 calories... but of what, I have no idea.
    I have a case of Guinness in the garage, kind've want to drink the calories.

Edit: Sometimes I wish that I was told what to eat instead of having to figure it out myself.
    I wish I could ride a bike for 5.5 hours...Wow!

I wish a 5.5 hour bike ride would earn me enough calories for that food.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Mine is Fiber One soft cookies The fiber doesn't bother me so I can over do it on those, and if I buy them, that's just what I do, over eat with them.
  • brightresolve
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    being a woman- this da*n low TDEE kills me.

I FEEL THIS!!! Trying hard to add a little muscle so I can burn, but this cardiobunny ectomorph 60 year old body of mine does not build muscle overnight...
  • kris10cass
    kris10cass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    TIME--- teacher full time and mommy of a toddler. I'm learning how to balance it all... work in progress! :)
  • SoManyCookies
    SoManyCookies Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weekends! I do great all week, but then Friday night comes along and without the structure of my daily work schedule, I lose control. I combat this by allowing myself an extra number of calories on the weekend, so I feel like I have a little freedom without totally blowing it. I'm not there yet, but last weekend was my first "successful" weekend in a year!

Also, Beer.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Taste - all of my meals until I left home were eaten with my mother who is notoriously fussy. I was not exposed to much food, and her negative feelings towards vegetables, ethnic foods, etc. were passed on to me habitually. I grew up eating meat and potatoes or spaghetti, almost exclusively rotating between the two, and then fast food/take out whenever possible. In adulthood I now gag at the taste/texture of many foods, and it has been a struggle to overcome. I have made slow, steady progress, but it is frustrating to feel like a fussy eater who doesn't want to be!