Protein on Foodstamps?

Options
Samrny
Samrny Posts: 62 Member
I'm trying to find a better or second job so I can get off foodstamps, but in the meantime...

Can you buy protein with FS? I know I can buy bulk unflavored whey and soy protein from Winco's Bulk Bins, is that good enough? Which one is better? Soy is Bob's Redmill brand, the other one is unbranded, if that matters.

But can you buy like tubs of protein at Winco or other grocery stores that take FS? What brands if so would you recommend?

Would it be more economical to try and get my protein from whole food sources? I don't eat much meat...

Please don't bash me for how I'm trying to lose weight on FS, you might make me cry since I'm a sensitive one.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you aren't vegetarian you could get adequate protein through meat and dairy. Protein supplements are generally unnecessary.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Can you buy whole chickens or chuck roasts?
  • Samrny
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you aren't vegetarian you could get adequate protein through meat and dairy. Protein supplements are generally unnecessary.

I drink milk, eat eggs/eggwhites, and eat greek yogurt...
    How much protein should I shoot for if I'm 5foot4 and 167 lbs, work on my feet 4 hours a day/5 days a week, and can't lift right now due to an injury?
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're not a big meat eater, beans are a great alternative, and are super cheap. If you really feel a protein powder in neccessary, maybe put away a buck or two a paycheck until you can afford a good brand. We've done our stint with foodstamps, and i totally understand the struggle. It's hard enough to feed a family on them, let alone feed them a healthy diet!
  • Samrny
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Can you buy whole chickens or chuck roasts?

Thank you for the idea, but again, I don't really eat meat. It's a texture thing I just can't get over no matter how hard I try...
  • Samrny
    Options
    amclain93 wrote: »
    If you're not a big meat eater, beans are a great alternative, and are super cheap. If you really feel a protein powder in neccessary, maybe put away a buck or two a paycheck until you can afford a good brand. We've done our stint with foodstamps, and i totally understand the struggle. It's hard enough to feed a family on them, let alone feed them a healthy diet!

Thankfully I only have to feed myself, haha. Thank you for your kindness and sincerity. It is much appreciated.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Samrny wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

I drink milk, eat eggs/eggwhites, and eat greek yogurt...
    How much protein should I shoot for if I'm 5foot4 and 167 lbs, work on my feet 4 hours a day/5 days a week, and can't lift right now due to an injury?

What you have it set to currently is adequate. I would even say as low at 80 would be fine considering your current financial position.

ETA: I see I was looking at today's with exercise included. 80 grams should be fine.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Not protein, but just wanted to throw this piece of information out there in case you didn't know. I am not sure where you live, but many states allow food stamps to be used at farmers markets. By me (NY) if you use FS at a farmers market, your "dollars" are worth double, so if you are allowed 10 dollars, you actually have 20 to use at the farmers market. I know it is only certain farmers markets and certain items (usually fresh produce) but it might be something for you to look into.
  • Samrny
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Not protein, but just wanted to throw this piece of information out there in case you didn't know. I am not sure where you live, but many states allow food stamps to be used at farmers markets. By me (NY) if you use FS at a farmers market, your "dollars" are worth double, so if you are allowed 10 dollars, you actually have 20 to use at the farmers market. I know it is only certain farmers markets and certain items (usually fresh produce) but it might be something for you to look into.

In Oregon your FS don't double, but we have a similar system here in Oregon.
    I get my honey this way!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Stay away from soy! Whey is fine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you ask your store about the protein powder if that's what you want. They can prob scan the item & tell you.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hi hun... yes u can buy protein powder on food stamps!
    here is how it works...
    read the nutritional label...

if the powder states nutritional facts u can...
    if it states supplemental facts u cant...

this is where I started my journey I was broke and relied on food stamps for awhile before I got back on my feet...

hope this helps!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eggs, nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese .... look up foods high in protein. I'm not sure if protein powder would be allowed since it's probably considered a supplement and not food.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you have the money, you might want to consider buying an Instant Pot to make yogurt with. It is a bit of an upfront cost, but it has saved me so much money in the time I have had it. You can use cheesecloth or a nut milk bag to strain it. Making yogurt is stupid easy and I get so much good quality protein out of it. I think you can also make it with a crock pot if you have one of those, but I don't have any experience with that. Can probably find vids for it on YT.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    The rules for what you can buy with food stamps is you can buy anything that is classified as food as long as it is not heated & pre-prepared.

However not all stores accept food stamps. They have to sell milk, bread and eggs or they aren't able to accept SNAP. So if you bought protein powder at the grocery store in their health food sections, you could buy it with food stamps. If you went to GNC, you would not be able to use your food stamps there.

Actually, many places accept ebt cards (food stamps) for pre-prepared food. The 7-11 by me will let you buy pizza and stuff. Many bodegas around here also accept ebt stamps.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Great point, I think they just started that in the Eau Claire WI farmers markets and if I remember right it was triple value. Really a great perk. I love our farmers markets and the ones around here aren't really that expensive.