serious back of knees pain after walking 15 miles

I never normally walk (or run) more than 5 miles ever, but last Saturday I walked 15 miles (around city streets - it's a long story). My feet were getting sore after 5 miles (as they usually do), but after 8 my knees really started to hurt, in the middle of them where the joint is, and at the back and sides on the rear - similar to muscle soreness (DOMS), but not exactly the same. I soldiered on to finish the 15 miles, but have been struggling since, although it's slowly improving.

My question is, is this normal, or might I have some issue with my gait that I need to worry about?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What shoes were you wearing?

Pain is not normal, doing 7 miles in significant pain sounds foolish to me.

I'd find a physiotherapist asap
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Pain when you do more activity than you are accustomed to is normal.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    thanks, I was wearing some ordinary Nike running shoes.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Get some arnica cream to give you some relief while you recover. I use one called "The Rub".
  • Dayiscoming
    Dayiscoming Posts: 13 Member
    Just sounds like you pushed yourself too hard. You are supposed to increase activity gradually to avoid injury. I don't know if you injured anything, but it is understandable that your body would be very sore after that.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Too much too soon and / or improper support / fit shoes.

Increase your miles much more gradually. Also might be worth checking that your shoes are supporting your foot type. (Pronation, arches, etc)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I never normally walk (or run) more than 5 miles ever, but last Saturday I walked 15 miles (around city streets - it's a long story). My feet were getting sore after 5 miles (as they usually do), but after 8 my knees really started to hurt, in the middle of them where the joint is, and at the back and sides on the rear - similar to muscle soreness (DOMS), but not exactly the same. I soldiered on to finish the 15 miles, but have been struggling since, although it's slowly improving.

My question is, is this normal, or might I have some issue with my gait that I need to worry about?

That's 200% more than you typically do. It doesn't matter which exercise you do. That's too drastic of a change.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I
    My question is, is this normal.... ?

No, it is not normal to walk 15 miles at one time
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Sore feet are the result of poorly fitting / improper shoes he other pain is, most likely what _Waffle_ said.....even though it's walking big jumps in distance are bound to create discomfort (especially when combined with problem footwear)

RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation) forget the homeopathic woo.....
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    I've gotten pain on the back of my knees from more walking than normal, I have very tight hamstrings so I attributed it to that. Running shoes are not necessarily the greatest to just walk in for long distances.
  • I_am_there
    I_am_there Posts: 8 Member
    arnica also comes in non-homeopathic versions and can be useful.. also, for shoes, don't buy into the certain type for certain feet. There was a large study done using military folks and the best shoe is the one that feels the most comfortable to you. http://www.army.mil/article/42842/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It depends on the running shoe too. Some running shoes don't work well for extended walking because they flex in a different spot than what's best for walking.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    There is a walk I do every year on city streets that is about 15 miles (from downtown LA to the beach in Santa Monica, down Wilshire Blvd.) and I usually wear low-rise hiking shoes. Never had the pain you describe.