Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Hi All! I'm "new"; I began MFP last year and funny story, the app started talking back so I deleted it. I didn't get very involved beyond just counting calories. Hopefully this time I will dive in a little deeper!!
    Single working mamma of twin toddlers!
    kris10cass wrote: »
    Mom of an almost 2 year old!! Finally became serious about weight loss in January! It helps now that she sleeps through the night! ;)

Welcome! Glad to have you with us!
  • Blzamora
    Blzamora Posts: 8 Member
    Mother of 1 amazing 8 year old girl. full time medical assistant and loving wife. look for support and love being a support. Add me if you would like :smiley:
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Husband (of 25 years) and a father to my 19 year old son who is currently in the USMC and far from home.

I'm working to lose weight and to increase my exercise and fitness. My favorite fitness activity is going to the gym twice a week for an hour each time to lift weights.

Anyone should please feel free to add me. This can be a tough journey (life, parenting, weight loss) and friends make the journey easier.
  • Akkael
    Akkael Posts: 36 Member
    I'm a mom of 4. Recovering from back surgery.
  • MikePXstream
    Today was the last day of the program I have been doing. 56 days later and I feel great. It was tough at times, but probably one of my top favorite programs now. I will most definitely be doing it again, but probably going to do the new one that just came out called 22 minute hard corps. I'm testing out one of the previews tomorrow to see how easy or challenging it might be.

I never thought I would be one to fall in love with @home fitness programs, but I have. I have been doing them for 3 years now and have no complaints whatsoever! Anyone else more prone to the @home fitness lifestyle?
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    Hello all, I'm 41, father of 3 grown men, mostly lol, 21, sr in college, 20, soon heading to Navy, nuclear program, 18, sr in HS, college for him, Indiana or Purdue. I actually started MFP in late November and have been keeping track since then, also started working out then also. Started at 210 and currently 180, which is about what I want to maintain. Am currently doing Insanity and about to finish week 2, all for the fitness. Going to have to skip some days when golf weather comes around, lol can't miss out on playing.
  • MikePXstream
    tfrasur wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm 41, father of 3 grown men, mostly lol, 21, sr in college, 20, soon heading to Navy, nuclear program, 18, sr in HS, college for him, Indiana or Purdue. I actually started MFP in late November and have been keeping track since then, also started working out then also. Started at 210 and currently 180, which is about what I want to maintain. Am currently doing Insanity and about to finish week 2, all for the fitness. Going to have to skip some days when golf weather comes around, lol can't miss out on playing.

Awesome. Welcome! Insanity was the first program I ever completed. What do you think of it so far?
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    It's good, am glad I lost the weight beforehand tho, lol. I like it, it's definitely hard, I modify some of the jumps, to be completely sure I don't jar my back. Back surgery almost 8 years ago and not looking to fully put it to the test.
  • MikePXstream
    tfrasur wrote: »
    It's good, am glad I lost the weight beforehand tho, lol. I like it, it's definitely hard, I modify some of the jumps, to be completely sure I don't jar my back. Back surgery almost 8 years ago and not looking to fully put it to the test.

I had to modify a lot of the jumps too. No back surgery, but years of wearing a tool belt or carrying a ruck sack in the army put a lot of unnecessary strain on it. I started going to a chiropractor and that made a huge difference!
  • MikePXstream
    Good morning and Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Good I hope. I just finished my workout. Now time for some breakfast.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I'm kind of glad to see this thread. I am 46. Need to lose at least 80#'s and have been on MFP logging for 70+ days. In that time, I've only lost 6#'s because I am struggling to stay within my calorie range. I am losing because I'm still staying at a deficit, but it's only by 100-200 a day sometimes. I am a SAHM to 3 teens. Almost 15, 16, and 18. I am graduating my first homeschooler this May! I can't believe we made it 12 years without killing each other. LOL! For me, it's the prep that kills me. I wait until I get hungry because I'm busy teaching or working around the house and then I've been grabbing something carby because it's quick (even if it's healthy), which is killing me. My norm has always been low carb with high protein, fruits and veggies. I think the carbs is part of why I'm struggling to stay within calorie range. Carbs make me want to eat more carbs. Ugh!

It's nice to know there are other parents that understand. My goal this week is to get out and walk every day that it isn't raining. I have a Misfit (like a fitbit) and it works well for me in terms of steps motivation. But my main goal for now, needs to be staying at my 1500 calories that I keep ripping over. :(
  • MikePXstream
    I'm kind of glad to see this thread. I am 46. Need to lose at least 80#'s and have been on MFP logging for 70+ days. In that time, I've only lost 6#'s because I am struggling to stay within my calorie range. I am losing because I'm still staying at a deficit, but it's only by 100-200 a day sometimes. I am a SAHM to 3 teens. Almost 15, 16, and 18. I am graduating my first homeschooler this May! I can't believe we made it 12 years without killing each other. LOL! For me, it's the prep that kills me. I wait until I get hungry because I'm busy teaching or working around the house and then I've been grabbing something carby because it's quick (even if it's healthy), which is killing me. My norm has always been low carb with high protein, fruits and veggies. I think the carbs is part of why I'm struggling to stay within calorie range. Carbs make me want to eat more carbs. Ugh!

It's nice to know there are other parents that understand. My goal this week is to get out and walk every day that it isn't raining. I have a Misfit (like a fitbit) and it works well for me in terms of steps motivation. But my main goal for now, needs to be staying at my 1500 calories that I keep ripping over. :(

Thank you for sharing. Carbs are a hard one to manage. You need them to give you energy, but to many and your not helping yourself out much. One thing that might help, try not having any carbs after about 3-4 in the afternoon. Add some protein and healthy fats in for snacks that will give you that longer sustained energy, and see if that helps. Carbs are a great source of faster energy, but if you are not exercising to burn them off after you eat them, then they start to be stored.
  • retailmagpie
    retailmagpie Posts: 27 Member
    I have an 8 day old baby (and a 2 year old) ... They're a work out in themselves!! I'm a full time mummy and shattered by the time my husband comes home. Surely, running around after two of them will burn some calories. Oh, and not having time to eat is helpful, too. Haha
  • brittainybarber
    brittainybarber Posts: 7 Member
    Mom of a 12 and 8 yr old here!
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    41 yrs old single mom to a 15 yr old and 11 yrs old. Looking for some new active mfp friends. Let's do this together :smiley:
  • MikePXstream
    Many of you know that for the past 60 days I was doing an @home fitness program called the Master's Hammer and Chisel. Here are my results.

Weight; 180 - 175
    Neck; 17" - 16.5"
    Chest; 42" - 43.5"
    R Bicep; 13.5" no change
    L Bicep; 14" no change
    Waist; 38 - 36.5
    Hips; 40- 38
    Legs; 22" - 23"

I'm pretty happy with that. The first month I lost 3 lbs, the 2nd 2lbs. My nutrition was off the 2nd month and I had some minor injuries to contend with. Overall, I am still very happy. I'm not done though. I will continue on towards my goals as well as maintain all that I have achieved. Thank youfor the support, and I hope by sharing this, I help support and inspire you too.

xqxvyue0xpsj.jpg
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Mother of 2 boys here. My oldest is 8 and my youngest will be 4 in June.
  • MikePXstream
    Ever have a bad training day.That was me today :neutral:
  • MikePXstream
    That feeling you have, after a potluck at work, where you are looking for a snuggie and a quiet place, along with a cart to have someone push you out to your car at the end of your shift, yeah that's me right now. I tried to resist, but it was all so good. I still got my shakeology in to curb some of the cravings. smile emoticon Probably save me from going back for thirds. lol I probably just set myself back a week. I'll just have to work harder next week. If my hip cooperates. How are you all doing?
  • MikePXstream
    Hey Everyone, how was your weekend? Ups and downs here. My daughter competed in the state gymnastics meet last night. We had hoped for greatness, but she fell short. I think the pressure of it all combined with the cold she has held her back. She even fell on her vault landing, and that is her best event (Took 1st in Vegas last month). So some minor heart break. she did have her best beam routine ever though.

My son is still dealing with this mono nonsense. He'll feel better during mid day, and then by evening the fever kicks in and he is wiped out again. I had issues of my own last night, so I did not sleep well either. But, we got some quality family time in, so that helps!
This discussion has been closed.