Good booty workouts with a knee injury?

Options
dogs_n_wine
dogs_n_wine Posts: 57 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I was a pedestrian struck by a car a couple of years ago and my knee has never fully recovered. I know that squats and lunges are a girl's best friend, but what are some other good glute workouts that are easy on the knees?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    the glute ham raise is great, also weighted bridges or hip thrusters . You can do back extensions but with your focus being your glutes doing the work. Kick backs. you could also do straight leg deads if you can have weight on your knees like that.
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    here are 2 visuals, one video to show how, one image to show the muscles worked for this exercise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtQ4aQMo7UY
    http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/reverse-hyperextensions/
  • dogs_n_wine
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    the glute ham raise is great, also weighted bridges or hip thrusters . You can do back extensions but with your focus being your glutes doing the work. Kick backs. you could also do straight leg deads if you can have weight on your knees like that.

Thank you so much for this info! :)
  • mommasplash
    mommasplash Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't a gym workout type of exercise, but I've found that swimming (freestyle) with my feet held together (not tied! just by squeezing a little) is working wonders for me. I'm very over weight and have knee problems because of this. I can't do kick back types of moves at all because it hurts too much right now, but I find that doing this modified swimming is really helping gluts (and everything else really) tone up without the strain. 45 mins three times a week is really paying off I find :) Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I take a Best Butt Ever class which is basically a lower body class. With my grade 3 ankle sprain, I can't do much of it anymore.

I suggest you meet with a trainer or therapist to find out what's safe for you, and to devise a routine.
  • dogs_n_wine
    Options
    I know this isn't a gym workout type of exercise, but I've found that swimming (freestyle) with my feet held together (not tied! just by squeezing a little) is working wonders for me. I'm very over weight and have knee problems because of this. I can't do kick back types of moves at all because it hurts too much right now, but I find that doing this modified swimming is really helping gluts (and everything else really) tone up without the strain. 45 mins three times a week is really paying off I find :) Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I'm god it's working for you! Unfortunately I don't have access to a pool on my time schedule
  • dogs_n_wine
    Options
    I take a Best Butt Ever class which is basically a lower body class. With my grade 3 ankle sprain, I can't do much of it anymore.

I suggest you meet with a trainer or therapist to find out what's safe for you, and to devise a routine.

I went through physical therapy, and I try to incorporate those exercises in with my routine. They didn't do much for my back side though lol
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Yes^^^^ these are great. I just got surgeries on both my knees and I can not do alot of the normal butt exercises until I get a knee replacement now. Another good one is planks and calf raises!
  • dogs_n_wine
    Options
    jessykab74 wrote: »

Yes^^^^ these are great. I just got surgeries on both my knees and I can not do alot of the normal butt exercises until I get a knee replacement now. Another good one is planks and calf raises!

Thanks so much girls! Hope you heal quickly!