Do I have to eat 1800 even?

Options
sonyakmiec
sonyakmiec Posts: 14 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm confused!!! My goal is to lose a pound a week. I'm supposed to eat 1800 calories. I work out 3-4 times a week and burn 320 calories. I don't eat my calories back and I thought that was good? To end my day around 1200? I thought I could potentially lose 2 pounds a week? I don't get it! I'm not losing anything. Do I HAVE to eat 1800 to lose weight? Not sure this is even a debate...

Replies

• DDonohue1995
    DDonohue1995 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That goal is what you're trying to eat under. Keep in mind, the more you workout the more muscle you'll gain. Muscle weighs more than fat. You'll lose inches before weight. Stay under 1800 calories by the end of the day. It takes time to see results. Especially if you're already somewhat skinny.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    No one is putting on muscle in a calorie deficit so ignore those who give that sort of response.

How long have you been at this? It sometimes takes time for some people to get going. How carefully are you measuring your servings? Are you sure the database entries you are using here match up with the food you are eating?
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    Honestly, I've been at it for almost 3 months, but I just put the MFP app back on my phone a week ago. I am very careful about measuring and logging everything I put in my mouth. I know I'm under my calorie goal every day. Maybe I'm just bring impatient. I've fluctuated the same 5 pounds for 3 months though!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is 1800 the number that MFP gave you?

If yes, then yes you should be netting 1800.

Do you use a food scale?
    are you using correct MFP database entries?
    logging everything?
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes.
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It would be more helpful if you provided some info. Age, height, weight, goal and what type of job you have. Like do you sit at a desk all day or are you on your feet?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    hko718 wrote: »
    It would be more helpful if you provided some info. Age, height, weight, goal and what type of job you have. Like do you sit at a desk all day or are you on your feet?

At this point I was going to ask the same thing. If you have been eating what you say you have been eating, then something is screwy.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This flowchart has good suggestions of things to investigate:

uxscf8jh2coq.jpg
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    I think it's super screwy! I'm even logging my "cheats". That's a helpful flow chart. I think I need to give it more time. I didn't gain weight this weekend, so that's a victory. I always fluctuate over the weekend because that's when I typically splurge (but still always under my calorie goal). I'm 41, 10 months postpartum. It's getting harder and harder to drop weight! I quit breastfeeding 4 months ago, so I lost that calorie burn. I'm only working out 2 hours a week, and I only average 5000 steps a day. But with 3 kids, I'm busy!
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    I should mention my splurge on the weekends is a cocktail or 2, which I make myself, so I know exactly what's in them. But I think they cause water retention, and my weight to fluctuate over the weekend. They can't possibly be working against me all week, could they? Did I mention 3 kids? My cocktails are weekend reward!
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Decrease cals by 100-150 for two weeks and then go from there. You're probably less active than you think you are, happens to us all.
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    I could definitely exercise more, for a fact! The weather is getting better-I'll try and get the girls in the stroller more often.
  • jsidogen
    jsidogen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is 1800 taken from a BMR standpoint or is that your TDEE?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    That goal is what you're trying to eat under.

No, no, no. And no! The goal is what you want to hit. That's why it's your goal. If you were supposed to eat less than that, MFP would have given you a lower goal.
    hko718 wrote: »
    Decrease cals by 100-150 for two weeks and then go from there. You're probably less active than you think you are, happens to us all.

No, no, and no again! You say you're already being meticulous about measuring your intake, and you're not eating any exercise calories back. That indicates that you're already in a deficit. I'd suggest trying to hit your goal of 1800 calories as closely as possible, which means eating back what you burn through exercise. It sounds counterintuitive, but if you're now eating around 1200 calories, you're kind of at the bottom limit. You shouldn't go lower - and eating so little doesn't seem to be working - so why not try something different?

Disclaimer: This is merely my opinion based on my own experience. I know I sound like I'm staying facts but only because I strongly believe my own opinion! Go figure, right!? :smile:
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    I'll try that. I'm so frustrated. My body just does not want to let go. Thanks for all your input everybody!
  • rileysowner
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sonyakmiec wrote: »
    I think it's super screwy! I'm even logging my "cheats". That's a helpful flow chart. I think I need to give it more time. I didn't gain weight this weekend, so that's a victory. I always fluctuate over the weekend because that's when I typically splurge (but still always under my calorie goal). I'm 41, 10 months postpartum. It's getting harder and harder to drop weight! I quit breastfeeding 4 months ago, so I lost that calorie burn. I'm only working out 2 hours a week, and I only average 5000 steps a day. But with 3 kids, I'm busy!

How tall are you and what is your current weight?
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how tall you are, are how much you weigh
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 202lbs. I'm so close to being out of the 200's!! I felt really great at 180, so that's my goal.
  • sonyakmiec
    Options
    I had a baby last May, and my pre pregnancy weight was 186. I was really trying to get back there, at least, before my babe turns 1 on May 7th. Maybe not realistic at this point...