Foods that fill me up

Options
2»

Replies

• travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have been skipping breakfast for the past month and it has really helped me with hunger. My stomach may growl a bit, but I feel so much better delaying my first caloric intake for the day. Also, I am a big quantity eater so I find foods that I can have a lot of for fewer calories. Last week I cut up a bunch of veggies and ate them with some hummus and crackers for lunch. It took forever to eat it all and I felt comfortably full.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP,

I read that black coffee (no cream, sugar) is a great hunger suppressant. It works well for me. Unsalted cashew and other nuts -- a few kernels -- and a big cup of warm tea or cold water work, too. Avocado, eggs work. 200-300 cal worth of these foods in 9am last me until 3pm easily.

I don't eat simple carbs or cereals unless I will engage in heavy activities soon.

Also, notice that hunger and cravings are two different things. Ignore cravings however bad it gets. Slight, unpainful hunger is fine, especially if you know that you just fed your stomach some healthy foods. Learn to ignore a little hunger.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? What kind of deficit are you running and how much weight are you losing per week?
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    6-8oz chicken and a bag of broccoli/cauliflower.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    hko718 wrote: »
    6-8oz chicken and a bag of broccoli/cauliflower.

Yes
  • janicekdavis484
    janicekdavis484 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I like protein and fat, personally.

Does the eggs and bacon keep you more full than the cherrios? This may be a good indicator of what would make you feel more satisfied. Or, are you a volume eater?

Add protein to your salad at lunch.

Interesting that you say this. I guess I'm a volume eater because the eggs and bacon do not make me feel any fuller than the Cheerios.

• janicekdavis484
    janicekdavis484 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Are you eating enough? What kind of deficit are you running and how much weight are you losing per week?
    I'm at 1400 a day and am working at losing 1pound a week. So far so good, but I am left feeling hungry (not just cravings) quite often.
  • justjennnnn
    justjennnnn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, popcorn, almonds, vegetables.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I like protein and fat, personally.

Does the eggs and bacon keep you more full than the cherrios? This may be a good indicator of what would make you feel more satisfied. Or, are you a volume eater?

Add protein to your salad at lunch.

Interesting that you say this. I guess I'm a volume eater because the eggs and bacon do not make me feel any fuller than the Cheerios.

I was thinking that.

Some things are more filling psychologically than they they are nutrient-dense. I'm glad you've realised this.

Things like nuts are incredibly high in calories but come in tiny portions.

Plain popcorn might help you as a snack.

Also try to work out what time of day suits you to fill up. Me, I have a 200 calorie breakfast, 250 calorie lunch, and save the rest for dinner, alcohol and dessert.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oat meal seems to be very popular in the above post. Its also my favorite also but I substitute 50% oat bran. I add 3x water and let it soak overnight. Microwave for 3 minutes. Oat bran is higher in protein and other nutrients. Its obsorbs a lot more water and therefore a fuller feeling. I need a lot less oat bran then oat meal. Eggs are good also. Mushrooms work well and have a meaty flavor.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    For dinner, I sometimes have a lean burger or you could do lean chicken or pork, along with a big plate of either sautéed or roasted veggies. The burgers I make, including the bun and a very light smear of mayo, come to about 350 cals, and then the veggies, if I make them them with very little or no oil, come to about about 200 cals, so that's a nice, big, filling meal for 600 calories or less, leaving me plenty of room for ice cream. :) Yum! I'm a volume eater, too.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm at 1400 a day and am working at losing 1pound a week. So far so good, but I am left feeling hungry (not just cravings) quite often.

You might consider reducing your goal to half a pound per week temporarily to give yourself a few extra calories. Give it a couple of weeks and then go back to a pound.

For me personally I found making sure I hit my protein goal really helped with satiety at a lower calorie level, but for some people either fiber or fat works for them instead. Good luck!