Anyone Doing Virtual 5K Races?

Options
I'm new here and hoping to get back to 5Ks. I lost a lot of weight and did a couple a few years back, then gained back the pounds due to a combination of life circumstances. One of the races was in real time and the other was virtual. Now I see that virtual is a thing, so I think that might be good motivation for me to get back into the swing of things. No waiting for local races, travel, hassle etc. to use as an excuse not to. Anyone else here doing them and are the websites that offer them on the level? There seem to be quite a few, and most seem to be for charity so that's even better if it's legit.

Replies

• AdventureVix
    AdventureVix Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in the answer to this! I love in a really remote area so races are out for me too but would love to do a virtual one if I could!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have done several. Auburn Running Club on facebook often sponsors them. I have signed up for the 1/2 marathon here, but they also are sponsoring a 1/4 marathon.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Never heard of these before. How freaking awesome! Have signed up for my first one. Thanks for posting this, OP.

Looked around a bit, and went with IWillRunForBling :smiley:
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    virtual races dont appeal,but i use the virtually active setting on treadmill which shows virtual running in american state parks like yosemite etc.
    it actually links to speed and incline,so is a pleasant change of scenery,literally,whilst indoor training.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought these would be more popular here. My first one was the Christmas Story virtual run because I was motivated by the Leg Lamp medal. I'm going to sign up for some and try to get them in before it gets too hot here in FL. I have an almost perfect 5K path near my home where I can do them. I'll report in how it goes and where the sites I use are legit. I'm hoping so because I love the idea of being able to do it on my time and having that sense of obligation to earn that medal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Never heard of these before. How freaking awesome! Have signed up for my first one. Thanks for posting this, OP.

Looked around a bit, and went with IWillRunForBling :smiley:

I've done one with them and I liked it.
    Also some races will have their own individual virtuals. I'm doing one for a race in indiana that donates to a charity that helps people who have been victims of domestic abuse.
  • pinkamingo
    pinkamingo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just found out that virtual 5K were a thing! I know the person that is organizing the Woolly Trot

What nice about virtual is that you can pick your day. The Woolly Trot you can split it up if you want. Another great way to motivate.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've done two now and liked them! Goneforarun is legit (and very well organized)- that was my favourite site so far. Medal received well in advance- so I could proudly hang it around my neck after my run and not have to wait for it to arrive in the mail. Heard good things about willrunforbling too :) As a newbie runner who lives in a very small town (with a long winter!) I really loved the virtual races this winter. And might be signing up for a mother's day theme run because the theme and medal makes me smile ("one bad mother runner"). :)
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I can't understand the appeal of finishers medals. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I like small local races that go to charities, no tshirts,medals, etc.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here are the sites i use
    http://usroadrunning.com/SeriesListing.php?Series=4
    http://virtualrunningclub.com
    and my all time fave
    https://makeyeshappen.com/Home

A lot of these races some of the money goes to charities too
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

HomeatWDW wrote: »
    Wow, I thought these would be more popular here. My first one was the Christmas Story virtual run because I was motivated by the Leg Lamp medal. I'm going to sign up for some and try to get them in before it gets too hot here in FL. I have an almost perfect 5K path near my home where I can do them. I'll report in how it goes and where the sites I use are legit. I'm hoping so because I love the idea of being able to do it on my time and having that sense of obligation to earn that medal.

I did that race too..Loved the medal and shirt

• HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    I can't understand the appeal of finishers medals. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I like small local races that go to charities, no tshirts,medals, etc.

One good thing about virtual races is that they're typically tied to specific charities, so your money does go toward a good cause. The vast majority of them seem to be linked to causes like autism, cancer, etc. I suspect it's an easy way for charities to make money, i.e. link up with the virtual race company, lend their name, and get a percentage of the profits.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Do them!! I love doing virtual races. I have done a few 5K's and 10K's and did a Little Mended Hearts 1/2 marathon for my grandson. I went from not being able to hardly walk 1/8 mile without having to sit down to run/walk, or better said, walk/jog for different races. I love the virtual ones and I choose them carefully for the charity they represent; because I can go out my front door and whatever time of that day I choose - do however many miles I've signed up for; and walk back in my door without having to go anywhere and wait in the corrals with thousands of my closest friends. I have also done regular 5K's, 4 milers and such - and I actually prefer virtual only because of living out here in the boonies (& not so many people ;-)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    I have done several. Auburn Running Club on facebook often sponsors them. I have signed up for the 1/2 marathon here, but they also are sponsoring a 1/4 marathon.

So a 10k then? :laugh:

If these virtual races motivate you to exercise then by all means do them OP. Donating to a good cause and running is a win-win.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've done several through US Road Running. A great, well organized company!