Frustrated.... I need more protein... less carbs/fat.

Options
HerNaturelleHigh
HerNaturelleHigh Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting. I recently hired a personal trainer and she put me on a flexible diet... but I need to stick to these numbers daily:
Calorie intake - between 1735 and 1750 (I am breastfeeding)
Protein - 175g
Carbs - 165g
Fats - 55g

So far in the 4 days of using this app I see myself with a higher carb percentage and I keep going over my fat by a few grams. My protein has the lowest percentage but I have been eating foods with protein. The thing is these foods also have the tendency to have a lot of carbs... Any advice on which foods to consume to get the protein up above the carbs and fats. I have been looking on Google and I'm having a bit of trouble finding foods and recipes.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary and people can help you figure out where to make adjustments.

Are you vegetarian?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Sardines packed in water, beef jerky, tuna, canned chicken, grilled chicken, grilled tilapia (fish)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, chicken breast, firm tofu are my protein go tos. Veggie-rich omelets for breakfast, big salads with hard boiled eggs, or tuna for lunch, and chicken breast (usually slow cooked in a crock pot of some spicy stew concoction for me...) or stir fry veggies with tofu for dinner
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Ooo, forgot eggs. They're on of my staples, also.
  • HerNaturelleHigh
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Open your food diary and people can help you figure out where to make adjustments.

Are you vegetarian?

Oops! Thanks I just did and I am not a vegetarian.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Use egg whites along with whole eggs. The whites pack a lot of protein without the fat and mixing with whole eggs still leaves the nice fat taste. Skip cheese to reduce fat. Chicken is high protein and low fat.
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    High protein greek yogurts. Protein shake, you can even get ISO (low carb/fat)
  • HerNaturelleHigh
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Sardines packed in water, beef jerky, tuna, canned chicken, grilled chicken, grilled tilapia (fish)

Well definitely try adding some of those to my options. Thank you!
  • HerNaturelleHigh
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, chicken breast, firm tofu are my protein go tos. Veggie-rich omelets for breakfast, big salads with hard boiled eggs, or tuna for lunch, and chicken breast (usually slow cooked in a crock pot of some spicy stew concoction for me...) or stir fry veggies with tofu for dinner

I'll give the stir fry veggies with tofu and veggie omelette a try this week!
  • HerNaturelleHigh
    Options
    Any recommended snacks ? Besides protein bars and protein shakes...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    175g of protein is WAY overkill IMO.

But yeah... white fish, canned tuna, plain 0% Greek yogurt, chicken breast, shrimp, low fat ham, beef jerky, egg whites.

I know for a fact that I'd never be able to stick to such a diet. I can do 130-140g, but this is crazy.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    When I ate meat/animal products, eggs were my absolute go too for protein! Egg whites and a good high protein plant based protein powder/drink were a good boost! I was also a fan of turkey jerky and chicken jerky and greek yogurt, all good protein sources! I would stay away from farm raised fish like Tilapia though :neutral: but anything wild caught (fish) is great! For vegan protein sources there are a lot of veggies that have even more protein than meat; e.g., spinach has 49% protein, kale 45%, broccoli 45% mushrooms 38%. Tofu is excellent, I am a fan of Boca burgers (although they are processed) they have minimal ingredients and will get you a good protein number. Also beans are great protein. Hope this helps :smile:
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Any white cheeses, peanut butter, whole wheat crackers, almonds those are my go to snacks.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But yeah... white fish, canned tuna, plain 0% Greek yogurt, chicken breast, shrimp, low fat ham, beef jerky, egg whites.

I know for a fact that I'd never be able to stick to such a diet. I can do 130-140g, but this is crazy.

I agree, what's the next step of the process? Sell you products to help meet your protein goals?
  • joanhector67
    joanhector67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me also!!!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Any recommended snacks ? Besides protein bars and protein shakes...

Low fat string cheese, cottage cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt, and the previously mentioned beef jerky. I like almonds too, but they up your fat.

That is a high protein goal. I struggle with 100 grams a day and many days I'm still playing catch up in the evening.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Something I have noticed in the forums is that fat doesn't seem to matter much in weight loss. I've lost 70 lbs using MFP, and I totally disregarded fat and concentrated on calories, protein, and fiber. Do what you like, but maybe if you have one less thing to monitor/worry about, it would be easier.
    Also, protein shakes are your friends--my morning shake has 46 g of protein for 360 cal, which is pretty fundamental in meeting my macros. Unsweetened whey and hemp proteins work well. Good luck!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

I agree. I am also breastfeeding, and doing great with 100g protein (I'm also 5'1" and 145 lbs ... so you may need a bit more depending on your stats).

Also watch your calories - 1750 may be a bit low, to be honest. If you are exclusively breastfeeding, that uses about 500 calories. Then you're exercising as well (I assume, if you're working with a trainer :wink:) So be aware of your milk supply and energy levels, and be willing to accept a slower rate of loss if necessary. Some women lose weight easily while lactating, others have a harder time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting. I recently hired a personal trainer and she put me on a flexible diet... but I need to stick to these numbers daily:
    Calorie intake - between 1735 and 1750 (I am breastfeeding)
    Protein - 175g
    Carbs - 165g
    Fats - 55g

So far in the 4 days of using this app I see myself with a higher carb percentage and I keep going over my fat by a few grams. My protein has the lowest percentage but I have been eating foods with protein. The thing is these foods also have the tendency to have a lot of carbs... Any advice on which foods to consume to get the protein up above the carbs and fats. I have been looking on Google and I'm having a bit of trouble finding foods and recipes.

Doesn't sound flexible at all to me. You don't need to anything. You will want a diet that keeps you happy and energetic and that you can easily stick to. Too little fat and way too much protein, no wonder you struggle. What problems did you have with the default MFP gave you? If you can pinpoint that, maybe we can offer more help. Personal trainers aren't usually the best to give advice on anything except training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

i would tend to agree.

Try pre-logging OP, so you are closer to your goals by the end of the day.