Fitbit Calorie Burn or My Fitness Pal Calorie Burn

Options
after I get done walking do I trust the calorie burn MFP gives me for x amount of minutes or do I trust the calorie burn my Fitbit gives me?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I personally find my Fitbit estimates to be much more reliable than the MFP database estimates.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    your Fitbit was there, man. MFP wasn't.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When the day is done, the results should be about the same assuming both MFP & Fitbit are set to the same goals.
  • beth1079
    beth1079 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit has been very accurate
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for a little over a month and it seems pretty accurate. I agree that my fitbit is attached to me and knows my heartrate and my stats so it knows how much i'm burning.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My fitbit gives a more accurate reading, it is the charge HR. I get lower calorie burns from the fitbit then MFP. I still don't believe them all.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Why not just link the two and forget about it?

Let your Fitbit adjust your mfp automatically.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When the day is done, the results should be about the same assuming both MFP & Fitbit are set to the same goals.

Maybe I'm missing something, but MFP is far more generous with calories than my FitBit.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing something, but MFP is far more generous with calories than my FitBit.

Yeah, I didn't like having fitbit and MFP synced. So, I always put in the exercise. 30 min jog with fitbit? 300 calories. 30 min jog logged here, without changing the calorie count? more like 650. Same thing with Zumba. Fitbit shows 400 calories. MFP shows 950.

I just log the fitbit calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

+1
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yeah, I didn't like having fitbit and MFP synced. So, I always put in the exercise. 30 min jog with fitbit? 300 calories. 30 min jog logged here, without changing the calorie count? more like 650. Same thing with Zumba. Fitbit shows 400 calories. MFP shows 950.

I just log the fitbit calories.

Am I missing something?

If you have mfp and Fitbit linked or you enter your Fitbit burns into mfp while being unlinked. Isn't that exactly the same thing? Or even less accurate than if mfp and Fitbit were linked.

Like if you don't have them linked aren't you just taking a fraction of the picture across to mfp? You manually log your exercise from Fitbit into mfp, but what about the time you spend watching TV for 2 hours etc or the time you spend sitting at work for 8 hours.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

This is what I do. I don't log it in mfp at all. Fitbit picks up that I'm walking...logs it for me, and gives me whatever calories for it. The only workouts I ever log on mfp are for my lifting.

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to sync them this morning the way i wanted so far today its been a big help it says i have burned 400 calories today just from working & going on a short walk during lunch