Low carb diet leading me to constant binges - help! -

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Not sure why but maybe low carb isn't for you?

Low carb was recommended by her doctor as a way of mitigating a potentially dangerous health condition that predisposes the OP to diabetes and heart disease.

She didn't say that. Her dr suggested it as a possible weight loss strategy (which it is) after she plateaued. "my doc told me that there is great success for people with pcos who go low carb"

What we know is that she lost 4 lb low carbing and binged. She lost 35 lb on a non low carb diet (and doesn't mention binging).

Avoiding binging is helpful to weight loss success, and many PCOS people can lose without low carbing (although it is definitely something to try and balancing macros is likely a good idea, especially if one struggles with hunger).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have heard low carb being recommended with patients with PCOS. Here's a study supporting the plan (this one is a low carb high protein), 57 women. I find it interesting that half the women dropped out before six months. It might be a little hard to sustain.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/1/39.full
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I was never a sweets person until I went low/no carb. Within a week or so I couldn't control my sweets cravings and couldn't have just one of anything in the form of chocolate, cake, cookies, etc. It was horrible. I slowly incorporate health (slow-burning) carbs back into my diet which reduced the sweets cravings greatly. I don't have PCOS so I can't comment on that but I can say that since I went 100% plant-based I am getting everything I need, low calorie & nutritious with no cravings what so ever. Just a thought, just an option :smile: I hope you find the answer.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Thank you all
    Me and my doctor spoke today , she mentioned upping fats as well
    As for the peoe against low carb : My doctor specified that many of her patients improved their symptoms along with the weight loss benefited from low carb ... Many healed well from this ugly disease , and then went on with a normal lifestyle, as i have mentioned I'm only 10lbs away from my goal so i guess this last push will do and by that happening my symptoms should ease , after things are in control i plan in adding a few carbs back , I am sure that low carb is not something i want to stick with for my whole life , but after so many ugly symptoms of pcos ( one of them being hospitalized for extreme abnormal bleeding) I will do whatever it takes to be in a healthy weight and at least know that I tried my best to help myself... I 've had 2 great days of upping fats so far i feel great , hope this stays though
    Pcos woman do anything to get rid of this very ugly disease :( it can be depressing...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    mita271 wrote: »
    Thank you all
    As for the peoe against low carb : My doctor specified that many of her patients improved their symptoms along with the weight loss benefited from low carb ... Many healed well from this ugly disease , and then went on with a normal lifestyle, as i have mentioned I'm only 10lbs away from my goal so i guess this last push will do and by that happening my symptoms should ease , after things are in control i plan in adding a few carbs back , I am sure that low carb is not something i want to stick with for my whole life , but after so many ugly symptoms of pcos ( one of them being hospitalized for extreme abnormal bleeding) I will do whatever it takes to be in a healthy weight and at least know that I tried my best to help myself... I 've had 2 great days of upping fats so far i feel great , hope this stays though
    Pcos woman do anything to get rid of this very ugly disease :( it can be depressing...

It is great that you feel good about the plan. :)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Thank you all

Well, I am not sure you can heal it, but you can improve your condition and get off medication and lose weight. One thing to consider, since you are very close to your goal is logging accuracy. Do you have a food scale? It is not uncommon for us to under report the amount of calories we consume because we don't have an effective tool to measure it. Generally, the two biggest problems I see on MFP is inaccurate and inconsistent logging practices.
  • tripple7
    tripple7 Posts: 22 Member
    It's called a "balanced diet" for a reason. If you lower carbs, soon or later your body will start to crave it them. thus leading to binge eating thus resulting in yo-yo dieting..
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited March 2016
    tripple7 wrote: »
    It's called a "balanced diet" for a reason. If you lower carbs, soon or later your body will start to crave it them. thus leading to binge eating thus resulting in yo-yo dieting..

This really is not true. The OP has a condition that can be helped by going low carb. She needs to up her fat intake. She has been told this many times on this forum and also reported back that she spoke with her doctor who also suggested this.

Why people on MFP will continue arguing otherwise is beyond me... apparently tripple7 and others all know better than the OP and her doctor? hmm...

edited for clarity.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Not everyone does well on a low carb diet with PCOS. I've done multiple diet experiments with my PCOS and high fiber or high protein will do the same thing for your blood sugar. So I'll tell you two things, try a whole foods plant based diet with a diet full of whole grains, legumes, fruits, and veggies and get your sweets from the fruit or occasional healthy treats OR continue on low carb, high protein and look for recipes for sweets using protein powder that has stevia in it. A lot of people make high protein ice creams or muffins that are made with low carb or gluten free flours.

• OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    It could be that low carb isn't the best option for OP - it definitely isn't doable for everybody. Some thrive on low carb, but if you're having real trouble... Count calories instead.

OhReally42 wrote: »
    If you find it hard to cut out carbs I would start gluten free and whole grain. Having Gluten and refined grains increases your insulin resistance and won't allow you to use the insulin you're taking in. You might notice that you feel fuller and then you can gradually lower the amount of breads, pastas, etc. Having less sweets you'll also notice you crave it less. You could try stocking up on fruit and eating that when you crave cake/cookies/whatever and then if you still crave it just have a small portion.

I believe gluten only adversely affects people who have celiacs. There's no benefit to just going gluten free and whole grain.

http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/diet-tips/pcos-and-gluten/

For PCOS diet is a totally different ball game. Ultimately that's up to her and her doctor.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Not sure why but maybe low carb isn't for you?

Low carb was recommended by her doctor as a way of mitigating a potentially dangerous health condition that predisposes the OP to diabetes and heart disease.

She didn't say that. Her dr suggested it as a possible weight loss strategy (which it is) after she plateaued. "my doc told me that there is great success for people with pcos who go low carb"

What we know is that she lost 4 lb low carbing and binged. She lost 35 lb on a non low carb diet (and doesn't mention binging).

Avoiding binging is helpful to weight loss success, and many PCOS people can lose without low carbing (although it is definitely something to try and balancing macros is likely a good idea, especially if one struggles with hunger).

She did low carb and low fat (high protein) and binged. Her doc recommended low carb, but apparently didn't give her proper guidance on what that means. A proper low carb diet is high in fat, moderate in protein. It's a very common mistake people make when attempting low carb diets (OP said it herself - she, like many others, had the notion that "fat makes you fat" - everyone at MFP knows that's simply not true - too many calories makes you fat, regardless of source). People suggested that if she lowered the protein, and upped the fats, she might find more success in following doc's recommendation. More fat generally leads to more satiety and will hopefully reduce the cravings and/or urge to binge on sweets. If she wants to try a proper LCHF diet, then finds it doesn't work for her, she can always do something else. But LCHF has been shown to be particularly beneficial for those with PCOS.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

I've been eating 50-80g of carbs a day for about 3 years. Not craving them. When exactly are the cravings supposed to start? Or is my body defective?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    OP, another thing you could do since you have a sweet tooth, is just incorporate a small treat into your diet. I preplan my calories for the day, and I try to work in something.

I do not have PCOS, but I have had success with a lower than US normal carb diet that includes plenty of healthy fats. I just stopped having grains and starches with every meal. When I do include them, I use whole grains usually paired with fats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    OP if you're still having sweet cravings once you're fully adapted, these are my go to's. So delicious!

http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/

Those look delicious. And there is no way I'm making them. I could not control myself! I 100 calorie treat would turn into 1200 just eating those!

I'm going to stick with mixing my chocolate protein powder with PB2!

I made those. I quartered the recipe and budgeted for 300 calories. Yum!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

I too disagree with this. Many with IR find that the fewer carbs they have, the less they crave carbs.
  • kshama2001
    So we've got someone here plainly saying her low carb diet makes her binge and most people's advice is "Keep doing low carb" and "you're just not doing it right"?
    She was doing low carb no fat, so yes, she was doing it wrong.
    Lol
    Its ok I actually upped my fats considerably i took a look at my diary in the past days and there is no fats at all !
    I was always afraid of eating fats thinking it will make me fat .
    Even now , i started by eating an avacado a day and using coconut oil in my coffee and I'm scared of gaining...
    But tell u what , i can already feel fuller !

Any options other than avacado & cooking oils ?
    Something that would ve just grab n go that has a higher fat amount ?
    Thank u all for takong ur timebto advise me , all the best to all of u :)

• kshama2001

I reduced carbs and my cravings diminished.
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2016
    I have pcos and I have lost 35lbs then completely stalled for 2 months my doc told me that there is great success for people with pcos who go low carb so I started and yes i lost 4 lbs it seemed to be working perfectly, but I have a sweet tooth and every end of the week i would end up binging big on sweets and gaining them again and again for 2 months
    Low carb high protein makes me always crave the things i really like
    Why ?
    I finally found what works , my measurements changed and i did lose it does give ne great energy , its so frustrating that mentally i can't control myself, i was 150lbs yesterday , today i woke up at 154lbs after a major binge on a pie and cake last night :(
    Im so depressed

Are you eating low carb yet sweet foods like berries? These help me with cravings.
  • Untilproud11
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have pcos and I have lost 35lbs then completely stalled for 2 months my doc told me that there is great success for people with pcos who go low carb so I started and yes i lost 4 lbs it seemed to be working perfectly, but I have a sweet tooth and every end of the week i would end up binging big on sweets and gaining them again and again for 2 months
    Low carb high protein makes me always crave the things i really like
    Why ?
    I finally found what works , my measurements changed and i did lose it does give ne great energy , its so frustrating that mentally i can't control myself, i was 150lbs yesterday , today i woke up at 154lbs after a major binge on a pie and cake last night :(
    Im so depressed

Are you eating low carb yet sweet foods like berries? These help me with cravings.

I actually eat a grapefruit a day
    Is that a good option?
  • Untilproud11
    And for update :
    I never though FAT WONT MAKE YOU FAT!
    Lol
    So far I'm have a much better outcome than i thought , incorporating fats really does make me feel fuller and crave way less
    Im loving it