Square bum/butt/glutes tips needed please!!

Options
aliciakell92
aliciakell92 Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hiya, I'm new to this and I am about to start my work outs and diet for weight loss (arms, tummy, back and legs). I particularly wanted some help and tips on glute work outs.. I have a very square bum/butt, which is weird because from the side it is not flat all and I quite like the size of it, but from the back it just looks flat and the general shape of my butt is square and I have lots of cellulite on the tops of my legs. What specific work outs could help me get my butt more rounded and not so square? Or will it always have the square shape to it because of my build? I also want to try not to lose weight on it because then it will become flat! Please help :) thanks

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Take a few spin classes. Biking builds glutes.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Strong curves
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats. Over and over and over and over again. Age was pulling my butt into my thighs. It is now getting back to its proper position LOL! Lunges and squats. Over and over and over again.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats. Over and over and over and over again. Age was pulling my butt into my thighs. It is now getting back to its proper position LOL! Lunges and squats. Over and over and over again.

yup what she said
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Add weight to these for the best results. Hip thrusts work even better
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Add weight to these for the best results. Hip thrusts work even better

Yeah, those too!! I didn't know what they were called. :)
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to this post! My butt looks shapely from the side and very flat from the back! I am a woman of color (black) and it annoys me to no end that I am not blessed in that area. lol.

What is slightly helping is doing spin. I do 2x a week at the most, and it has lifted my butt. If you keep your calories the same, doing that small amount won't really cause you to have too much weight loss, but your legs and butt will tone. Use high resistance, cranking it up when the instructor tells you to. When I was only doing Spin, it looked like my butt was growing and shaping -- in a good way. So try it. Unfortunately, I added in Zumba, which is causing me to lose weight faster and I've kind of lost weight in my butt area. (happy and sad face)

I have cellulite on my legs too. From personal experience, I can tell you that the only way to lose that is to lose weight from the area or get super toned there. I was doing Jillian Michaels tapes around 5x a week and after a while -- no cellulite.

What I keep hearing the most is that squats with high weight/low reps is the best way to get a curvier butt. I haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a shot.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm new to this and I am about to start my work outs and diet for weight loss (arms, tummy, back and legs). I particularly wanted some help and tips on glute work outs.. I have a very square bum/butt, which is weird because from the side it is not flat all and I quite like the size of it, but from the back it just looks flat and the general shape of my butt is square and I have lots of cellulite on the tops of my legs. What specific work outs could help me get my butt more rounded and not so square? Or will it always have the square shape to it because of my build? I also want to try not to lose weight on it because then it will become flat! Please help :) thanks

You can't choose where you will lose fat from. As you eat in a deficit, you will lose fat all over. Your bum will probably slim down, but for the most part, the shape will stay similar as it is your genetics. Now, you can gain muscle there and work on it's shape, but that is typically done in maintenance or a surplus. I do suggest running a program like Strong Curves or including hip thrusts, glute bridges, cable kickbacks and pull throughs, squats, deadlifts, lunges, and some lateral work as, even in a deficit. You will help maintain the muscle you DO have there, so you have something to work with as you lose fat.
  • aliciakell92
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    I can so relate to this post! My butt looks shapely from the side and very flat from the back! I am a woman of color (black) and it annoys me to no end that I am not blessed in that area. lol.

What is slightly helping is doing spin. I do 2x a week at the most, and it has lifted my butt. If you keep your calories the same, doing that small amount won't really cause you to have too much weight loss, but your legs and butt will tone. Use high resistance, cranking it up when the instructor tells you to. When I was only doing Spin, it looked like my butt was growing and shaping -- in a good way. So try it. Unfortunately, I added in Zumba, which is causing me to lose weight faster and I've kind of lost weight in my butt area. (happy and sad face)

I have cellulite on my legs too. From personal experience, I can tell you that the only way to lose that is to lose weight from the area or get super toned there. I was doing Jillian Michaels tapes around 5x a week and after a while -- no cellulite.

What I keep hearing the most is that squats with high weight/low reps is the best way to get a curvier butt. I haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a shot.

That is so helpful thank you! Im glad someone understands haha.

Ive never even thought about doing spin so I may give that a try! It's hard because I do want to lose weight all over my body apart from my butt! Seems impossible! But all of what you said is very helpful!! I'll defo try the jillian Michaels also. Thank you
  • aliciakell92
    Options
    All very helpful tips thank you! Now to plan my work outs!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has said deadlifts yet. I have been spinning for 3 years and recommend it because it is a good workout and tons of fun, but I never saw results in my butt from spinning like I have in the last 6 months of adding in deadlifts!
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    maca powder can be used to grow bum and boobs, I couldnt understand why mine were getting bigger until I researched the maca! and in my experience weighted squatting plus kick backs has transformed my rear end!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    maca powder can be used to grow bum and boobs, I couldnt understand why mine were getting bigger until I researched the maca! and in my experience weighted squatting plus kick backs has transformed my rear end!

What? Maca powder? Nah.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/sexy-female-training
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bella0531 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has said deadlifts yet. I have been spinning for 3 years and recommend it because it is a good workout and tons of fun, but I never saw results in my butt from spinning like I have in the last 6 months of adding in deadlifts!

Those are good too. I think deadlifts do more for my hamstrings that butt though. They definitely help to define that hamstring/glute separation.
  • kat_para_
    kat_para_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try kettlebell swings; it will work all the muscles you are trying to target and is also good cardio.
  • curly8runette
    curly8runette Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try the BeachBody Brazil Butt Lift program. It's fantastic to work the lower body and it's lots of fun :-)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    If you want to "move fat" try wearing a corset... it will help thin the waist and create a curvier figure... walking lunges... with weights... dumbells, kettle bells... and switch up your strides from set to set... step out and away (like a skating stride)... and cross over steps... this will ensure you work every inch of your glutes... do NOT forget to work the lower back and the "core" abs ( and obliques) focusing on just one muscle group will lead to an injury... the spin classes will help... BUT working your entire body will leave you with what you are ultimately looking for... there are no shortcuts...any program you decide on will take months to years... so... get some early pictures... to remind yourself what you used to look like.. and compare them a year from now. have fun... or what is the point?
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

What? Maca powder? Nah.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/sexy-female-training

I am not sure why you felt the need to discount my post, thanks for the fascinating link about "Britney Spears syndrome" I was merely giving my experience of the powder and its growing effects (reportedly maca affects the hormone system which is why butt and boobs can be effected). The OP wanted to grow her butt or for it to remain/ get rounder. I also added that weighted squats etc transformed (as in the shape) my own bum. I did not say eating maca gives you a magic new bum. That would be ridiculous. This place would be a lot nicer if people didn't feel the need to jump on people's posts or comments in this manner.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    High-kick like the Rockettes.