Is eating breakfast really good for you?

Before I started dieting I never used to eat breakfast. When I got to work I'd have a coffee and be fine to wait till lunch before having any food, was never hungry. Now I'm eating breakfast on a diet where I'm trying to eat only 1,200 calories a day. Breakfast just adds calories on! It's now 250 more than I used to eat in the morning meaning my lunch definitely has to be smaller.
I feel I would lose more weight if I just cut out breakfast again and saved my calories to enjoy when I'm actually hungry.
I'm just trying to figure out if it's really as good for me as what posts and the Internet says.

Replies

• 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Meal timing has no effect on your diet. And breakfast ist not the "most important" meal of your day. The things that really count are your calorie goal and hitting your macros/micros.

I prefer "intermintent fasting" like you. I skip breakfast and feel less hungry during the day. Plus I can eat bigger lunch and dinner, which in turn leaves me more satisfied.

If you like breakfast then go for it. If you don't leave it. Personal choice.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    There is no need to eat breakfast unless you really want to.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Check out this link leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html. #7 is about skipping breakfast.
  • KatieAnneEtcetera
    KatieAnneEtcetera Posts: 21 Member
    If you are fine without breakfast, I would save your calories for when you actually want to eat them. Personally, I feel weak and tired without breakfast, so I don't skip it. But a lot of people seem to be fine without breakfast. As someone mentioned, the timing of your calories has no real effect.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Yes, in my opinion it allows you another meal to contribute to your macros and I think it helps to regulate your metabolism. I couldn't skip breakfast, I would starve and feel crap
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Yes, in my opinion it allows you another meal to contribute to your macros and I think it helps to regulate your metabolism. I couldn't skip breakfast, I would starve and feel crap

Your metabolism is not dependent on meal timing.

OP, if you don't want to eat breakfast, don't eat it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Apart from the occasional social breakfast I've not eaten breakfasts for years. I've lost weight and gained weight whilst having my first meal at noon. It suits me fine and gives me more calories later in the day.
  • dljones67
    dljones67 Posts: 88 Member
    Intermittent fasting here too. Just coffee in the morning, lunch 11a-1p and it's normally an egg beater omelette with veggies and black beans maybe some meat. Dinner a salad with meat and my lovely black beans normally. I'd rather save my cals for 2 bigger meals and a snack later. Def. try to hit your macros/micros. If I haven't for the day that's when my evening snacks come in. If you're not hungry, don't eat. :smile:
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    I have to eat breakfast or i tend to faint... so unless you are noticing a lack of energy or dizziness etc. due to this then don't eat breakfast if you dont want it :)
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    It is a matter of individual preference. I find it plausible that some individuals do better with eating breakfast while others are more successful when skipping breakfast.

Breakfast seems to be one of those meals that I eat because it is part of my daily routine. When I skip it, I don't seem to suffer any ill effects. But I do make up the calories through the rest of my day so I don't experience any benefit, either. Since I tend to eat large meals anyway, I don't see a significant bonus from saving those breakfast calories to eat later vs. eating them at breakfast time. Perhaps if I ate meals with a smaller volume my experience might differ.
  • amyvdews
    amyvdews Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    I don't eat breakfast, usually. I was finding that eating breakfast was making me ravenously hungry by mid-morning and more likely to blow my calorie goal. So I stopped eating breakfast and now just have a glass of orange juice. Suddenly everything got so much easier.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    I think there is a benefit to eating breakfast. It keeps your metabolism active. I have had success losing weight by eating every two hours. Things like greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg are low in calories and would be a great breakfast for you. Good luck!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I'd like to skip preparing and sitting down to brackfast. I get dizzy weak if a go without anything. :/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mrsmay1986 wrote: »
    I think there is a benefit to eating breakfast. It keeps your metabolism active. I have had success losing weight by eating every two hours. Things like greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg are low in calories and would be a great breakfast for you. Good luck!

Assuming you're alive, your metabolism will be active whether you eat breakfast or not.

Lots of people find it easier to maintain a calorie deficit when they eat frequently. This leads to success for them. But people can also have success eating less frequently. It's all about whatever makes it easiest for an individual to reach a calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    mrsmay1986 wrote: »

your metabolism is active 24/7 and breakfast has nothing to do with starting or stopping it..

OP - the correct answer is that it does not matter.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    If your car was out of gas would you say "I can wait until later to fuel it" or would you give it some fuel to run on?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Eating breakfast is only good for you if you are the kind that would get hungry before lunch and snack on convenient high calorie foods. Anything that adds extra calories you wouldn't have otherwise consumed is not good for your diet, including breakfast. Feel free to skip it.

Personally, I sometimes eat a huge breakfast, or none at all. My weight loss has not been different with or without breakfast.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    LivLovLrn wrote: »
    If your car was out of gas would you say "I can wait until later to fuel it" or would you give it some fuel to run on?

Your body has plenty of fuel to delay eating a few hours unless you are severely malnourished and actually starving.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    It doesn't matter. Majority of the time I do not have a proper "breakfast" and I'm still steadily losing.