Is eating breakfast really good for you?

Options

Replies

• MelJuly4
    MelJuly4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would eat something since I just slept for something hours with no food
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I believe breakfast is important for stable blood glucose levels for those with impaired insulin function. However, even as a Diabetic, I tend to not eat unless I'm hungry even when it throws off my medication schedule.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LivLovLrn wrote: »
    If your car was out of gas would you say "I can wait until later to fuel it" or would you give it some fuel to run on?

If your car is out of gas, you should absolutely fuel it.

But people don't automatically fill their tank every morning on their way to work.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's just personal preference. I enjoy eating in the morning and find it easiest to meet my goals if I break meals into three plus a snack -- more opportunities to get in some protein and vegetables. But I also don't find that I am any hungrier or less hungry based on eating in the morning, which would seem to be a significant factor, if it affects your likelihood of overeating.
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If your car was out of gas would you say "I can wait until later to fuel it" or would you give it some fuel to run on?

If your car is out of gas, you should absolutely fuel it.

But people don't automatically fill their tank every morning on their way to work.

/gavel
  • aerrianna
    aerrianna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast I'm starved long before my first break. If I do eat breakfast I feel sick. I've found that shakes fill me up until I can wait for my break and they don't upset my stomach.

Different things work for different people. So what works for you and don't let people force you into doing things their way.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

People have reserve tanks - they're called fat cells. They get broken down for energy when needed for fuel. Going a few hours without eating isn't a problem.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast either, and skipping it really helps me stay within my calorie goal. Like you, my MFP goal is only 1270 right now, and I prefer to have my biggest meal at dinner. If I have breakfast other than coffee, even something small, before I even finish dinner I'll have blown my goal.

Bottom line, eat how and when it is right for you to reach your goals and satisfies your hunger patterns. If you don't want breakfast and you aren't hungry in the mornings, don't have breakfast.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I believe breakfast is important for stable blood glucose levels for those with impaired insulin function. However, even as a Diabetic, I tend to not eat unless I'm hungry even when it throws off my medication schedule.

I'm thinking in my case, no food for over 12 hours is what the weak dizzy thing is about.

So do you get dizzy w/out breakie?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

If my car had tons of fuel would I top it up every morning or even every day? With this analogy every one of us should stop eating until we have very low BF%.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    yeah, the car metaphors don't really work well and recently run to an accident in another thread.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm a breakfast-skipper too! I just don't usually get hungry until lunch, especially during the week, so I just have coffee. I generally have about 1000 calories left going into the evening, which gives me lots of room for a filling dinner plus a yummy snack. I even do my runs in the morning, and still don't get hungry for breakfast. Do what works for you!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I used to do that too! are you really blonde? you're picture doesnt show it
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day lol. But I believe so but also depends on your body. I used to NEVER eat breakfast but once I had kids I can't go without breakfast. I start to feel very sick when I don't eat breakfast and get stomach pains. So I think it's good for you. Especially if you do your workouts in the morning like I do I try to get a good protein breakfast in before or after my workout
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Yes, in my opinion it allows you another meal to contribute to your macros and I think it helps to regulate your metabolism. I couldn't skip breakfast, I would starve and feel crap
    Metabolism regulates itself. That's why it goes up when adding exercise daily and slows down when you don't burn excess energy.
    Contributing to your macros is fine, but you don't get extra credit for meeting/exceeding them sooner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day lol. But I believe so but also depends on your body. I used to NEVER eat breakfast but once I had kids I can't go without breakfast. I start to feel very sick when I don't eat breakfast and get stomach pains. So I think it's good for you. Especially if you do your workouts in the morning like I do I try to get a good protein breakfast in before or after my workout

Is the "they" you are referring to the breakfast food industry?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    mrsmay1986 wrote: »
    I think there is a benefit to eating breakfast. It keeps your metabolism active. I have had success losing weight by eating every two hours. Things like greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg are low in calories and would be a great breakfast for you. Good luck!
    Metabolism is always active. TEF is already counted for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's so important for me. It regulates my sugar levels, keeps my pressure down, gives me energy. This is even if i'm not hungry. You can easily have 1 egg, 1 toast or splurge on 2. Or 1 slice of toast with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Just enough to give you energy and your body fuel without eating too much and eating up your calories. I try to eat on a schedule more to keep my hunger at bay. If I allow myself to get hungry, it's cause I haven't been eating on a schedule and that leads me to binge. And that feeling comes cause my body is freaking out from the lack of food and thinks it needs to load up for my organs. So weird how the body works but this body of our is a smart one and needs fuel to keep us healthy. That's really what it all comes down to.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    I used to do that too! are you really blonde? you're picture doesnt show it

LOL!! I go back on forth on my hair color. In the pic it's a reddish-brown, but it's sort of "bronde" right now. The username is from way back in the day, but it's stuck with me.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Your body has a full tank, it is called adipose. You're more like a plug-in hybrid than a conventional car. This would be like worrying that you need to plug-in your car to charge the battery even if you have a full tank of gas, particularly when most people are looking to empty their gas tank (lose weight).