Any swimmers out there?

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
Hi. I'm new to swimming . Any advice out there for beginners? The pic you see if from 15 lbs ago... I gained most of it back and trying to lose it again but I have a foot issue. That's why I started swimming instead of my usual spinning classes at the gym! It seems like you have to work alot harder to burn calories swimming but I know it's super healthy for your body all around.

I find it's hard for me to swim. I lose my breath after 10 minutes! But I keep going, having to breathe after every lap. I try to do at least 30 minutes. Does it get easier? How long does it take to build up endurance?

Also, what kind of stroke is your favorite and why?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was a swimmer on swim teams in school. It takes a while to build endurance, and it helps break up the monotony if I change up my workout. XX number of freestyle, then XX number of legs only, then arms only, then breast, back to freestyle, switch up to backstroke. Backstroke is really good when you lose your breath, it's less rigorous and more breath-friendly.

My biggest enemy in swimming is monotony. If I don't switch it up, I get bored.

I don't know what you mean by "having to breathe after every lap"? I breathe (freestyle) on every fourth stroke, or every second stroke when winded. Always on the same side - though some people train themselves to breathe on both sides.

It's a great exercise!
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks! I will try to switch it up more! I need some motivation cause I get bored easily lol and it's so exhausting to swim but maybe I'm just not used to it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's less exhausting if you throw in leg/arm only laps. They should have styrofoam leg buoys for your arm-stroke laps and you can use hand-paddles. You can use a kickboard for your leg laps. Freestyle is really labor intensive and it does take a lot of energy. No sense getting frustrated or worn out. It should be fun! Cut your energy use by doing leg/arm only laps. In no time you'll be doing a mile of freestyle. :) Added bonus is you can look around on those leg laps and backstroke laps.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for 20 yrs. Breathing is crucial--it's your gas, so to speak. Yes, it does get better. At the end of your lap, if you're winded, stop--take a breath, duck under water, blow out--do this 10 times. Another trick is to swim slower, but never stop. Watch the better swimmers to pick up tips. I used to breath every 3rd stroke, alternating sides, but I decided to push myself, and now I breath every 4th stroke, and I may take it to 5th soon. Swimming is great, but it dehydrates, so watch your water intake. Also be very careful logging your calories. Most people are famished after a swim. I know alot of people that think swimming will slim them down, but they gain weight.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Does your local pool offer any classes? I always thought I was a strong swimmer until a few months ago when I signed up for a triathlon and took a stroke improvement class. OMG.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It does not get any easier .... but you just get stronger. ;)

Be consistent like anything in life to truly excel you must practise practise practise :)

Time yourself with a wrist watch to track your progress .... with consistent swimming you can build endurance as early as 2 weeks.

Check out swimsmooth.Com for all your swimming resources :)

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It took me a really long time to get my swim stroke and my breathing in rhythm, and up to that point swimming was a nightmare. Unless you have someone watch you swim and can give you some pointers, it's really going to be you going by feel and trying some different things. If you're able to go 10 minutes, then you're probably not doing anything horribly wrong and just need more pool time to build up your endurance.

you can do some drills to help with strength, but that's probably unnecessary at this point.

Swimming, more than anything else I do... when everything is on point I can really feel it, and it feels great. I feel fast and smooth and strong. When I'm tired and my form suffers, I can really feel that, too. My legs drag and I feel like I'm splashing around as much as I am swimming. The resistance water gives you can be a great feedback tool for your form.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I swam as a kid, then became an adult with adult jobs which kept me away from the pool. At 55 years old and 250 pounds, I started swimming again. I'd swim a lap, rest, repeat.
    3 years have gone by and I'm down nearly 90 pounds and swim 1.5 miles 4-5 days a week.
    I love it and days that I can't swim, I miss it but I walk 5-6 miles to get my cardio in.
    Last summer I joined in the kid's swim-a-thon to raise money for their team and swam 3 miles nonstop and raised $1,000. I was about 40 years older than the oldest kid swimmer, but I did it!
  • Bluedimplett
    Bluedimplett Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been following this swim program i found online. it teaches you in a good way to increase your swimming weekly. I hadnt swam in 7yrs and i started this program 3 weeks ago and its been great. Am i out of breathe? Yes It does get better and i take my time too b/c you are slowly conditioning your lungs :)

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I swam in high school... It will get easier the more you practice!

I only liked the breast stroke because it was the only stroke I was good at and I liked to glide in the water for as long as I could.

I miss it a lot, good for you!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I swim a mike a night. At first ( started about 5 months ago) I could barely swim 1/2 mile. It gets easier although I always find the first 4 laps hard, until I get my rhythm going. To switch things up, I will freestyle up and breast stroke back. It is fun! I haven't lost a lot of weight but my strength has definitely improved. Pull ups and dips are easier. Also my core strength has increased. I have lost inches so that is a good thing!
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier. Every time you swim try to add one more lap than your previous swim. Get a poolmate watch, it automatically keeps track of laps. It took me a while but now I swim a mile at a time. Takes me about 40 min (yeah, I'm slow.) I try to get 2 swims in a week, one is a 30min speed work out where I do 25m, 50m, and 75m sprints and the other workout is a mile swim. Keep at it, such a great exercise.
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    when you say you breathe after every lap you mean you have to stop and catch your breath? You should not be going a lap without breathing. Do you know what kind of stroke you are doing? Honestly 10 minutes at a stretch is good for a new swimmer! Some people can barely do a few laps when they get started.

It will get easier as your technique and your fitness improves. As others have mentioned, learn how to control your breathing (presuming your are doing freestyle). If you're doing freestyle literally start this by standing in the pool not moving, putting your head face down in the water and concentrate on exhaling into the water, turning your head to the right and then inhaling and then putting it back in and exhaling. You should be taking a couple strokes while you exhale which will mean a quick inhale and a long exhale. When I was on a swim team growing up I was taught to breathe every third stroke on my right so that is what I still do. You could also try using a snorkel that goes above your head (this is what my husband uses) and then breathing becomes a non-issue.

Breastroke is a great "starter" stroke as it is easier to pace breathing and is not quite as demanding or weird to master as freestyle. I might suggest swapping a lap of freestyle then a lap of breaststroke which is inherently easier and allows you to pace your breathing more naturally until you feel you can go further. One of my favorite strokes is sidestroke- it really cranks your transverse abs and you don't have to worry about breathing because your head is above water, but it can be an awkward stroke to master.

IMO Swimming is tough but so fun because you're *really* working everything: arms, legs, core, moreso than most other types of exercise. Its refreshing and meditative and a good workout all at once. Freestyle is my favorite because I feel it gives me the best workout overall. Come back and talk to us if you ever master butterfly or dolphin!

• SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    To really enjoy your swimming and get the best workout possible, consider taking an adult stroke improvement class. Then when you learn how to do the strokes more efficiently, you will not become so winded because you aren't breathing much. You will however become winded because you are working very hard in your workout.

There are also lots of videos and self-help swimming tutorials online, if the expense is too much. You can also ask pointers from the "better" swimmers around you. Usually they are happy to give you a small suggestion to improve your technique.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I vary my strokes. In a pool, you could swim down with the crawl, back with the backstroke, down with the breast stroke, back with the backstroke for starters until you build up endurance and can do the crawl longer.

I hate chlorine, no longer have access to a saline-cleaned pool, so my swimming these days is limited to when it is warm enough for the pond. I swim 20 crawl, 20 backstroke, 10 breast stroke, and repeat.

I can swim for 75 minutes without getting bored because I have a swim MP3 player.

Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4 GB Waterproof Sports MP3 Player (Black) with Swimming Earbuds is the third type I've had and by far the best. I love love love it. No more earbuds on cords falling out!

Just don't expect it to be an underwater ipod - it's more like an underwater flash drive that plays music. But, hooray for listening to tunes while swimming!

71nwScgRHaL._SX425_.jpg
  • Goldhartbeat
    Goldhartbeat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I only had some basic swimming lessons when I was a kid so I only know the "head above water" breaststroke. But currently I can do 1500 meters in 45 minutes with only a stop every 500 meters. And my endurance is much much better! Don't go at your maximum pace immediately though, swimming as an exercise is more of a marathon than a sprint. ;-)

I wish they had adult swimming classes over here. I'd love to learn the front crawl at least.
  • suzstjohn
    suzstjohn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm new to swimming . Any advice out there for beginners? The pic you see if from 15 lbs ago... I gained most of it back and trying to lose it again but I have a foot issue. That's why I started swimming instead of my usual spinning classes at the gym! It seems like you have to work alot harder to burn calories swimming but I know it's super healthy for your body all around.

I find it's hard for me to swim. I lose my breath after 10 minutes! But I keep going, having to breathe after every lap. I try to do at least 30 minutes. Does it get easier? How long does it take to build up endurance?

Also, what kind of stroke is your favorite and why?

I have had my hip replaced twice, I have bad knees, a deformed foot and degenerative spinal disease and the second hip prosthesis began tearing my sciatic nerve and causing muscle atrophy in my thigh. When I try to swim freestyle it feels like my leg drops and i panic so I do a modified back stroke when i want to swim but a majority of the time I walk in a resistance pool. In CDA Idaho we have a kroc Center with a "lazy river" I can walk for 3 hours without losing my breath or feeling pained at all. It ends up being 6 miles but some people only walk for 30 minutes (1 mile) on a regular basis. On land, i can't walk but a few feet without being in severe pain or losing my breath and struggling. You might see if an area wellness center or physical therapy office has a walking pool. Endless pools also sells them for your home. I have learned you just have to modify the activity to meet the limitations of your body. Over time you will get better. Good luck!
  • nm212
    Options
    I swam as a kid, then became an adult with adult jobs which kept me away from the pool. At 55 years old and 250 pounds, I started swimming again. I'd swim a lap, rest, repeat.
    3 years have gone by and I'm down nearly 90 pounds and swim 1.5 miles 4-5 days a week.
    I love it and days that I can't swim, I miss it but I walk 5-6 miles to get my cardio in.
    Last summer I joined in the kid's swim-a-thon to raise money for their team and swam 3 miles nonstop and raised $1,000. I was about 40 years older than the oldest kid swimmer, but I did it!

Wow! That's amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your wonderful feedback! I will definitely take note of alot of suggestions here!
  • nm212
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I vary my strokes. In a pool, you could swim down with the crawl, back with the backstroke, down with the breast stroke, back with the backstroke for starters until you build up endurance and can do the crawl longer.

I hate chlorine, no longer have access to a saline-cleaned pool, so my swimming these days is limited to when it is warm enough for the pond. I swim 20 crawl, 20 backstroke, 10 breast stroke, and repeat.

I can swim for 75 minutes without getting bored because I have a swim MP3 player.

Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4 GB Waterproof Sports MP3 Player (Black) with Swimming Earbuds is the third type I've had and by far the best. I love love love it. No more earbuds on cords falling out!

Just don't expect it to be an underwater ipod - it's more like an underwater flash drive that plays music. But, hooray for listening to tunes while swimming!

71nwScgRHaL._SX425_.jpg

Cool!