cabbage soup diet

Options
just wondering is anyone on the cabbage soup diet i started today, has anyone lost any weight from it or any side effects?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have done this and it left me ravenous. Why not use MFP as intended? Lots of successful people here.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    just wondering is anyone on the cabbage soup diet i started today, has anyone lost any weight from it or any side effects?

The good OLD Dolly Parton Diet from the 1980's is back again.

I tried it back in the 80's. As QueenLiz said - side effect #1 = hunger from low fat, low protein*. Prolonged use of a low protein diet increases your chance for lean muscle mass loss.

My other side effects were terrible gas (that one should be obvious). A sore mouth from all the tomato day after day after day (highly acidic).

Did I lose weight? Sure I lost some water weight....after all it's only 7 days. You can't expect any real progress in 7 days. If there is no real progress.....why put yourself thru this?

Just use MFP as intended. Eat foods you actually enjoy eating and measure your portions. Learning about foods you will continue to eat for a lifetime will give you tools to keep the weight off (for good).
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is still out there.

Just no. You will have horrible gas every day and at the end you'll still be overweight.

Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. It won't be in a week but it will happen.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    No...just no. Count your calories, eat nutrients dense food.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Oh the horror of the gas that you'll be emitting! Not to mention the bloating from the gas. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have lost weight on it. Almost no one has kept it off. As for side effects, yes. Dizziness, hunger, fatigue, mood swings, sleep disruption. Prolonged use of this diet can lead to illness and even death if done long enough. All from not eating enough. Why is this in the challenges thread?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just say no to the word "diet!" Like everyone else has said, use MFP as intended and you will see results.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have lost weight on it. Almost no one has kept it off. As for side effects, yes. Dizziness, hunger, fatigue, mood swings, sleep disruption.

Agreed 110% with that. I let someone talk me into trying it, and I had almost all of those side effects. A week of feeling like that was not worth the couple pounds that I lost, and then put back on fairly quickly. I will say one thing for the diet though... I never appreciated hamburger as much as I did until I got to the day that allowed you to eat it. I don't remember ever enjoying something that much.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Doing just the cabbage soup "diet" -- A Big Fat Nope. However, I make a spicy cabbage soup that is light on calories and high on spice and taste - lots of veggies (& cabbage) all whizzed up with my immersion blender and we love that soup. (not as much gas as traditional either) Only uses chicken broth, veggies, and nice spicy salsas. Works out to about 100 for a 2 cup portion and I will have that for lunch along with a turkey/lettuce wrap and be good to go. As others have said, make your "diet" your life. Eat what you will want to eat for the rest of your life. As for myself, I had to rethink and redo my whole way of eating due to medical reasons and now I am absolutely Good with the nutrient dense foods we eat everyday and we are on 3+ years. Both my husband and I lost over 70# that way and we will continue on. Cabbage soups can be a part of your overall eating - just not Only cabbage soup.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hope you work from home and don't have any roommates. TOOT TOOT!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love a spicy cabbage soup but not for 7 days straight.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You will end up hating cabbage soup as a side effect. The whole idea and smell of it will make you gag.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Um...I'm sorry for derailing this thread but I get distracted easily. OP, I just have to know - is your screen name a typo? Or is my mind just dirty?
    Back to your regularly scheduled programming.....
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I like cabbage, but not to have it in soup form for every meal, for an entire week. Yuck.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Fad, and reoccurring fad diets are out there for a reason. They don't work, and people need lots of gimmicky solutions instead of accepting Eat Less Move More. If you like the soup, great you should have it as a side dish or a snack.
    Um...I'm sorry for derailing this thread but I get distracted easily. OP, I just have to know - is your screen name a typo? Or is my mind just dirty?
    lololol I wasn't the only one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    maasha81 wrote: »
    I love a spicy cabbage soup but not for 7 days straight.

Yup, I make a spicy hot and sour soup with cabbage when I feel a cold coming on.

Can't find that recipe, but here's another one. http://food52.com/recipes/13566-green-chile-chicken-posole-soup I use frozen or canned hominy instead of the dried called for in the recipe.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Good lord, is this one still a thing? I remember a colleague doing this one back in the '80s. It didn't end well.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

LOL, re-read it. I thought that's what it said too, until I looked closely and sounded it out.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Now all we need is Dr. Hyman & Dr. Poon.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Now all we need is Dr. Hyman & Dr. Poon.

I drink tang, does that count?