Getting so frustrated with no weight loss!

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your success to this point. The fact that you are still here puts you ahead of many people who have given up on their "resolutions." I took a peek at your diary and I saw a pattern jump out very quickly: Most of your diet seems to be carbs followed by meat (including some red meat) with some dairy products and some fruit. There is virtually no vegetables at all. My advice would be to take it to the next level. You haven proven to yourself you are committed to your goal, now it's time to ramp it up. Switch out some of those carbs for some veggies at least 3x per week. Raw is better (more fiber and vitamins) but anything will be an improvement. Do some research online and get some meal ideas ready for April, and then say goodbye to your plateau!!!
    Hey Amy, just reiterating what some of the others are saying. 2.5 - 3 lbs of weight loss a week is healthy weight loss, some might even call it excessive. Now you have stated that you have reached a plateau in your weight loss. You may try to HITT [High Intensity Interval Training] which is known to be a very good cardio source for burning calories fast because of the frequent changes in the heart rate. Good thing is they don't last as long as regular cardio because they are so intense, but they are known to burn more 2 - 3x more calories as stationary training. If you are biking on a stationary bike, try doing something like 1 minute low intensity biking and 1 minute high intensity more resistant biking for a total of 20 minutes. You can do this with running, biking, swimming, etc.

Nope to both! In accurate logging is your problem. Fix your logging and all will be good, honest
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It will help that you get calories from vegetables and protein rather than bagels, white rice, dinner rolls, and irish potatoes.

No. For weight loss, the source of the calories does not matter. What matters is that they are tracked accurately.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. I just ordered a food scale and hopefully that, in addition to eating some more green vegetables, will help. I'm also going to try to ramp up my walking and my bike riding. One of these days I'm going to lose more weight I can't put all this work in and get nothing out of it. It's just going to take more time than i thought. I guess I need to be more accurate and continue to work hard. sometimes though I wish that candy was the good food and carrots for the bad food.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm glad that you've ordered a scale, OP!

Have you adjusted your calories since losing the 25lbs?
    It will help that you get calories from vegetables and protein rather than bagels, white rice, dinner rolls, and irish potatoes.
    The source of calories for weight loss doesn't matter. None of the food mentioned in the quote will hinder weight loss. You can definitely have candy as well as highly nutritious foods, just as long as you log it accurately and fit it into your calories. :)
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

[/quote]Nope to both! In accurate logging is your problem. Fix your logging and all will be good, honest[/quote]

What good is it to fix your logging if what you're logging is not balanced?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

What good is it to fix your logging if what you're logging is not balanced?

Or, what good is logging a balanced diet if your logging is inaccurate?

OP didn't ask for help to have a more "balanced" diet, she asked for help losing weight. And all that matters for losing weight is calories, regardless of what types of food they are from. Once she is logging more accurately, she may decide she has been eating too many calories and getting more veggies will help her eat less if she needs to. But getting her calories accurate and at goal is the priority for weight loss.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your help. I just ordered a food scale and hopefully that, in addition to eating some more green vegetables, will help. I'm also going to try to ramp up my walking and my bike riding. One of these days I'm going to lose more weight I can't put all this work in and get nothing out of it. It's just going to take more time than i thought. I guess I need to be more accurate and continue to work hard. sometimes though I wish that candy was the good food and carrots for the bad food.

Weight loss doesn't come from hard work. It comes from willpower, portion control and accurate measuring of your intake vs. output.

A toned body, muscle gain and improved endurance comes from hard work.

I can burn 4,000 calories a day, but if I'm eating 300 calories more than I burn, I'm going to gain a pound a week.

My nephew in the Navy just went through this. He started hardcore weight training (6 days a week) and he was really excited that he was gaining weight quickly.

Until I pointed out that he was gaining weight due to him taking in 5,000 calories a day, not from strength training. The pudge around his middle was a clue.

You haven't mentioned if you'd readjusted your weight goals after dropping 10lbs two different times. It's critical to do so. I can't stress that enough. That can be the difference between losing weight and maintaining right there.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Options
    Ya, there's no reason to eat healthy if all you want to do is lose weight... Just log your cheeseburgers accurately and watch the weight fly off.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Ya, there's no reason to eat healthy if all you want to do is lose weight... Just log your cheeseburgers accurately and watch the weight fly off.

I include cheeseburgers, cake, ice cream, popcorn in my diet. Overall, I eat a very healthy diet and still lose weight. Just because someone is trying to lose does not mean they have to give up everything and eat celery.
    Along with accurately measuring your intake, moderation is key. Full out deprivation leads to failure.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I always look out for comments like this: Sometimes, but only occasionally, do I eat enough to go into the calories I earned from doing exercise. as it can often suggest some miscounting somewhere. Exercise calories tend to get over estimated so maybe that's where things are going wrong. If indeed things are going wrong at all, because it seems like you're doing fine. But if after a bit longer you aren't getting the results you want (make sure the results you want are realistic first) then that might be somewhere to look at.
  • BinaryFu
    Options

Fact: If 2000 calories maintains your weight, 1700 calories will reduce your weight by 1lb a week.

In theory, yes, it could be 1700 calories of cheeseburgers if you wanted. Are you going to feel well after a week of this? No. Definitely not. Are you going to lose 1lb? On average? Yes.

So yes, accurately log your cheeseburgers and you *can* watch the weight fly off. You can have a horrible diet and still lose weight.

But see, here's the thing that most people arrive at eventually: Poor food choices restrict how much you're able to eat.

A DQ cheeseburger is 400 calories and it's not going to fill me up.

My homemade chicken vegetable stew is 200 calories per serving and really tasty. So I can have TWO servings of really filling, tasty stew....or one lousy cheeseburger.

Eventually, people gravitate towards healthy eating on their own, or they give up, because burning 400 calories to justify that poor choice cheeseburger just isn't worth it.

So, sarcasm aside, your statement is correct - there *is* no reason to eat healthy if all you want to do is lose weight. There *is* a reason to eat healthy if you you want to *be* healthy *and* lose weight. See the difference there?
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    BinaryFu wrote: »

Fact: If 2000 calories maintains your weight, 1700 calories will reduce your weight by 1lb a week.

In theory, yes, it could be 1700 calories of cheeseburgers if you wanted. Are you going to feel well after a week of this? No. Definitely not. Are you going to lose 1lb? On average? Yes.

So yes, accurately log your cheeseburgers and you *can* watch the weight fly off. You can have a horrible diet and still lose weight.

But see, here's the thing that most people arrive at eventually: Poor food choices restrict how much you're able to eat.

My homemade chicken vegetable stew is 200 calories per serving and really tasty. So I can have TWO servings of really filling, tasty stew....or one lousy cheeseburger.

Eventually, people gravitate towards healthy eating on their own, or they give up, because burning 400 calories to justify that poor choice cheeseburger just isn't worth it.

So, sarcasm aside, your statement is correct - there *is* no reason to eat healthy if all you want to do is lose weight. There *is* a reason to eat healthy if you you want to *be* healthy *and* lose weight. See the difference there?

But cheese burgers aren't really that bad and can be filling as protein. Swap the bun for lettuce and I bet it drops down to 200 cals too. Then you could have two burgers as well. There isn't really any right or wrong foods some just are more nutrient dense. A mix of less dense and more dense food still works.
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    At 220 lbs, I dont suspect that 100-200 calories from logging not absolutely perfect is your problem. You've lost 25 lbs since January, thats amazing! It makes sense you may plateau here after almost 2 months of very consistent and quick losses. I would cut down your activity and stick to tracking accurately for a week or so. That should break your plateau and you can just get back on the very high amount of activity you are doing now. Making some changes to your routine can help shake things up for your body when you hit plateaus.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    SAFE weight loss = 2lbs per week. So you've had (roughly) 10 weeks and lost 25lbs = 2.5lbs per week, which is within tolerances.

Now, this also begs the question - when you dropped 10lbs, did you readjust your goals in MFP? Every 10lbs you need to readjust your goals according to your *new* weight - otherwise, you'll wind up hitting a plateau eventually...kind of like you are now.

I agree with this.

Sometimes when your body loses the weight "too fast" it will stall for a week or two to catch up. If you've been targeting 2 lbs a week you might not lose any more until your body catches up to that average. Also sometimes your weight will just stall for a couple weeks for now reason. Then drop several pounds all at once. This thread is helpful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1302805/weight-loss-is-not-linear

But I also agree to get a scale. Since you aren't eating back exercise calories now you have more wiggle room but as you continue to lose weight you will have less, so it's important to get accurate with your logging as soon as possible. It also avoids false expectations.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

Why is a cheeseburger so bad? Is cheese bad on its own? What about ground beef and bread? Something about putting them together makes them bad somehow? I had one for dinner last night. It was really quite tasty, and very much worth it. If you don't find a cheeseburger worth the calories, don't eat them. Simple. I'll continue to enjoy them often. And I don't have to worry about "burning it off" because I burn calories just by existing. Plenty enough to fit a cheeseburger into my day, or pizza or ice cream or whatever I feel like eating.
  • BinaryFu
    Options
    LoL! Guys guys, I'm not saying cheeseburgers are inherently bad - I'm saying eating them as your only source of food might be! :smiley:

Heck, I enjoy my bun-less Angus burgers I cook at home with sauteed onions and salsa. :wink:

I was simply pointing out that it's a calorie deficit, not what *type* of food you consume that equates to weight loss. He used cheeseburgers as an example sarcastically and I simply ran with that as a perfectly fine example. :smile:

Weight loss = calorie deficit.
    Muscle building/toning = Workouts.
    Becoming healthy = Eating the *right* calories.
    Total transformation = All of the above.

That's all I'm saying...don't hit me, I love cheeseburgers too! :blush:
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »

Weight loss doesn't come from hard work. It comes from willpower, portion control and accurate measuring of your intake vs. output.

A toned body, muscle gain and improved endurance comes from hard work.

I can burn 4,000 calories a day, but if I'm eating 300 calories more than I burn, I'm going to gain a pound a week.

My nephew in the Navy just went through this. He started hardcore weight training (6 days a week) and he was really excited that he was gaining weight quickly.

Until I pointed out that he was gaining weight due to him taking in 5,000 calories a day, not from strength training. The pudge around his middle was a clue.

You haven't mentioned if you'd readjusted your weight goals after dropping 10lbs two different times. It's critical to do so. I can't stress that enough. That can be the difference between losing weight and maintaining right there.

Yeah, I did adjust. It went to about 1360 calories. Gee, I thought what I had for intake before was small. Now, it's critically important I portion things correctly!
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Options

Ya, I guess you have a point, but I am talking about weight loss AND maintaining a healthy diet for long term health, something that is sustainable for the rest of your life. If my daily calorie goal is 2000, I can knock that out in a single meal, can't eat anything else all day, and ya I'm gonna feel like crap, and have to take some vitamin supplements to make up for the low-quality food. Sure you can replace your bun with lettuce or whatever, but now you're transitioning away from junk food and eating more healthy... I mean what's the point of losing all that weight if you're not gonna end up healthy, or feeling satisfied for that matter? Do whatever works for you.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    That's all I'm saying...don't hit me, I love cheeseburgers too! :blush:
    Get out the sticks! You riled the anti anti-burger peoples!

@AmyWebb2 I forgot to correct my settings too, I thought MFP used to remind you every time you dropped below another 10 (maybe I didn't notice). Tighten up and keep an eye on things and you should see some results!

• ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options

That's exactly where I'm heading. I believe in everything in moderation. If I restrict myself too much I go crazy and eventually binge on all the things I deprived myself of. Eating is also very social. I don't want to completely give up social outings. Just know not to overdo it. Maybe work out more the next day or eat less. But I'm glad that calories in and out allow us to be able to eat what we want, if we want to of course.