March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)

The brain funk is broken! I didn't really want to run Sunday, or Monday, or this morning... but after a day of drinking coffee and thesis work at Panera, I came home and like a switch was flipped: I wanted to go out and run. I plotted a hilly route going the opposite direction that I would normally run those hills and off I went! And I paced REALLY fast. So fast that I'm I'm labelling this my weekly speedwork. 8 miles at 7:52 pace with 500 feet of elevation gain. For the first time since last week (probably since Thursday?), a run felt effortless and fun. My legs weren't heavy. My calf is only minimally angry at me yet. My head was in it to win it. It feels good to be back to my normal self!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift nice to see your brain is back in the game
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

The brain funk is broken! I didn't really want to run Sunday, or Monday, or this morning... but after a day of drinking coffee and thesis work at Panera, I came home and like a switch was flipped: I wanted to go out and run. I plotted a hilly route going the opposite direction that I would normally run those hills and off I went! And I paced REALLY fast. So fast that I'm I'm labelling this my weekly speedwork. 8 miles at 7:52 pace with 500 feet of elevation gain. For the first time since last week (probably since Thursday?), a run felt effortless and fun. My legs weren't heavy. My calf is only minimally angry at me yet. My head was in it to win it. It feels good to be back to my normal self!
    @kristinegift most awesome!!! I know you don't like the compression stuff, but Skip is swearing by the compression sleeve for her calf. She said it's been awesome and now that she's been wearing it at every practice she feels funny without it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Today made me realize (glad it was a rest day) That I'm desperately in need of a good jacket to wear for running in the rain. Anyone have a suggestion?
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I have compression sock-sleeves (like knee-high socks). I wear them post-run, but I can't wear them while I run because they cut off my circulation and make my legs hurt. I've been wearing them pretty often after long runs, and I'll probably pal around in them for a while tonight. They definitely do help, Skip's right! Those + some foam rolling and I should be right as rain by the weekend!
  • kristinegift
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Today made me realize (glad it was a rest day) That I'm desperately in need of a good jacket to wear for running in the rain. Anyone have a suggestion?

@MNLittleFinn Saucony has some good ones. They have a Run Shield line of jackets/clothes that are water resistant or repellant. I have their women's Speed of Lite jacket, and there is a men's version out there somewhere. It's super light weight and water repellant. If you check Amazon they usually have pretty good deals for out of season stuff. I'm a huge bargain hunter, and I found mine for $28 and they retail for $90 or something.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Here's the one I use and like: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F0JL3Y

It's light-weight, sheds water well, seals well at the wrists and such, and packs into itself!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    really kind of tempted by this: http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-lsd-jacket/210838.html?dwvar_210838_color=429#start=1

I could fit my UA turtleneck under a small.....
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Wow, that sounds like some seriously intense routine the trainer had you do!
    I'm still trying to figure out what to do strength-training wise - for the past couple of month, I've been going to the gym twice per week and following a full-body (mostly)dumbbell plan. But I went to a "strength training for runners" workshop earlier this month, and the exercises that instructor recommended were completely different. Mostly plancks and bridges and jumps...

@kristinegift Congrats on feeling so much better today! And on the new shorts and jacket - new running clothes are great o:)

If you can find them, that is... I just spent the last three hours online shopping for a new rain jacket for running. Not easy!
    I've had my old for two years, and while it was great in the beginning, in the past few month it started letting the rain through, so I've been browsing the local sports stores over the past few weeks already. Today the zipper of my current jacket got stuck and I partly ripped it out when I was trying to get it to open, which makes buying a new one even more urgent.
    It's amazing how many "waterproof" or "water repelant" jackets don't have a hood. Or no pockets. Am I really that weird for wanting a rain jacket with a hood and pockets - preferably one that isn't made out of a fabric that feels like a very stiff garbage bag?
  • shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    03/02 - 3.1 miles
    03/03 - 3.1 miles
    03/05 - 6.2 miles
    03/08 - 3.1 miles
    03/11 - 3.1 miles
    03/15 - 3.1 miles

Only went out twice last week, but I'm still on track to hit my goal halfway through the month, so I'm not going to worry about it... Trying to plan better this week!

MTD: 21.7 / 40
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41
    12---7.33
    13---worked, slept
    14---2.3 walk, biked 9
    15---7.23 easy

64.38 miles/150

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  407.30/ 2016
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn
    Hah - I should have refreshed the page before writing my post, seems I'm not the only one jacket hunting!

I've narrowed it down to two choices now:
    Saucony Exo
    Raidlight Top Extreme
    Both sound nice, at least from the reviews I've read - and they both have pockets and a hood. I'll never understand rain jackets without a hood. What good is it having dry arms, if my hair gets soaking wet? And don't get me started on jackets without pockets... >:)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Do you have BCAA's? They help with muscle soreness. I can't find the ones I had been using (cytosport monster amino), and just take L-Glutamine. It's cheap, less than 5$ for a bottle.

@kristinegift @skippygirlsmom I have CEP compression sleeves. I love them. But found out I can't run in them. I get cramps. They are great. But so great for work when my shin bothers me.

@MNLittleFinn I had a hard time finding the right rain gear. I have a thin windbreaker from Columbia I found on sale for 10$. It works for light rain. I also have another that I bought from Academy (outdoor store). It's waterproof, windproof. It works. But sure a specialty jacket would be nicer, but I don't know what I'm missing (yet).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Not weird for not wanting a hood. I'm the opposite though, I don't really want a good, I get too hot when I have them on. I wear a hat to keep the rain from getting me too much, and, well, being pretty much bald, I really don't care about my hair getting wet
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Thought of you today out on a run.

20160315_170424_zpsyji7fjzm.jpg
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn
    Hah - I should have refreshed the page before writing my post, seems I'm not the only one jacket hunting!

I've narrowed it down to two choices now:
    Saucony Exo
    Raidlight Top Extreme
    Both sound nice, at least from the reviews I've read - and they both have pockets and a hood. I'll never understand rain jackets without a hood. What good is it having dry arms, if my hair gets soaking wet? And don't get me started on jackets without pockets... >:)

Go Saucony!! ;)
    I don't like hoods, actually. They never stay on my head, so I just wear a hat with a visor instead and that keeps the rain out of my eyes.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Having a good bike trip across the keys this week, but ended up getting in two runs on marathon key (today and Saturday) as I got to run down the remains of the old 7 mile bridge. On the plus side, I'm almost done with my monthly biking quota, so I'll get to focus more on running during the coming week. Attaching a few good pics from the trip.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 11 miles
    3/7 - 18 miles
    3/8 - 7.5 miles
    3/10 - 13 miles
    3/12 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 6 miles

Total: 82 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 118 miles

ogcqaxpl2b33.jpg
    aq74n3l06d0g.jpg
    f478aohu2cbi.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - My protein powder has some BCAA's in it, but I don't have the really good stuff like that. Wishing I did. I dropped something and it took three attempts each different ways to get it off the ground!:lol: I guess this is what the weight lifters feel like after leg day!

Lots of careful stretching planned tomorrow. Right now I may as well have stilts for legs.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 4 miles
    3/2 - 3.5 miles
    3/3 and 4 - travel days
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/6 - 6.5 miles
    3/7 - rest day
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5.3 miles
    3/10 - rest day
    3/11 - 7.1 miles :smiley:
    3/12 and 13 - life days
    3/14 - 6.5 miles
    3/15 - 5.1 miles

48 out of 100 miles

Kind of a miserable run, I was having a hard time breathing, my calves were a little tight. I ran around the office park I work at, when I got back to my truck, I had an ah ha moment, it was 84F degrees. No wonder I was hot ha ha! I know the beautiful blooming trees are trying to kill me too, allergies are going nuts. I'm just happy to be running!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    3/2-3.53
    3/5-6.00
    3/6-3.13
    3/7-3.26
    3/9-3.23 (5k pr)
    3/12-7.01 (personal distance PR)
    3/13-2.25 (getting closer to doing a true recovery run)
    3/14-3.14
    3/15-2.02 (4-10 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow, so I snuck a quick run in tonight)

Total- 35.6/56