cabbage soup diet

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Not this old horse again!! Thought it was long forgotten from the 80s!

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Now all we need is Dr. Hyman & Dr. Poon.

I drink tang, does that count?

Ex-squeeeeeeeeeeeze me? :D
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Wow people still do this???

My paternal grandmother did the "cabbage soup diet". She died morbidly obese at 50-odd of a massive coronary. Suffice to say it didn't work for her.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The cabbage miserable soup diet.

Enough said.
  • tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cabbage reves the metabolism to the max I eat it everyday almost. I mix It up and make sure I get protein as well. It works.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Cabbage reves the metabolism to the max I eat it everyday almost. I mix It up and make sure I get protein as well. It works.

No it doesn't.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    just wondering is anyone on the cabbage soup diet i started today, has anyone lost any weight from it or any side effects?

had better results with the KFC diet, so I didn't go back cabbage soup in the end
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Ever hear of Dr. Linda Hazzard? ...

Seriously, though, just eat well-balanced meals within your calorie allowance. With fad diets, you can lose your hair, your health, your overall well-being, and weight that comes off will go back on. With healthy, calorie-appropriate eating, all you have to lose is weight.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There was a "stupidest diet you ever tried" thread and someone described their experience with the cabbage soup diet as she "couldn't go to the bathroom right" for two weeks after. I've never forgotten. At first I thought "what does she mean? Too often? Not often enough? Was it a ... consistency problem?" Then I clued in: she couldn't go to the bathroom right: that is all I need to know.
  • missionskinnynow
    missionskinnynow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    NO!!!! Please don't do it.. Track your food and exercise and make sure you create sufficient deficit! I promise you will lose weight.. I did lose 50 lbs 2.5 years ago doing this..and still tracking food and maintaining that weight till today! Its the only way.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Look, you're 19. Crash dieting is not the way for anyone much less a teenager. Figure out weight loss in a sustainable manner and you'll have given yourself a tool for life. No point in making yourself miserable short term only to end up back at square one before you know it. Log your food, eat at a reasonable deficit, and exercise.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Cabbage reves the metabolism internal gas production to the max I eat it everyday almost. I mix It up and make sure I get protein as well. It works.

FIFY.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Cabbage reves the metabolism internal gas production to the max I eat it everyday almost. I mix It up and make sure I get protein as well. It works.

FIFY.

Then clear the room. LOL
  • cJOYv6881
    cJOYv6881 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend staying very far away from the cabbage soup diet! A few years ago my dad and his friend went on it together. His friend ended up in the hospital, my dad ended up really sick too (weak, dizzy, lethargic). Doctors told them point blank that there simply isn't enough nutrients or calories in the soup. They lost weight initially, but as soon as they were forced to stop the soup diet, it all came back. This diet is just plain dangerous.
  • monicaale38
    monicaale38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    just wondering is anyone on the cabbage soup diet i started today, has anyone lost any weight from it or any side effects?

The good OLD Dolly Parton Diet from the 1980's is back again.

I tried it back in the 80's. As QueenLiz said - side effect #1 = hunger from low fat, low protein*. Prolonged use of a low protein diet increases your chance for lean muscle mass loss.

My other side effects were terrible gas (that one should be obvious). A sore mouth from all the tomato day after day after day (highly acidic).

Did I lose weight? Sure I lost some water weight....after all it's only 7 days. You can't expect any real progress in 7 days. If there is no real progress.....why put yourself thru this?

Just use MFP as intended. Eat foods you actually enjoy eating and measure your portions. Learning about foods you will continue to eat for a lifetime will give you tools to keep the weight off (for good).

I tried and didn't work for me,
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I like cabbage soup. I often have made the recipe for the "diet" and just eat it when I want. It's yummy and an easy way to get veggies. I added even more veggies and what started as a cabbage soup diet is now just a delicious soup that would fit into my food plan on any day.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

The good OLD Dolly Parton Diet from the 1980's is back again.

I tried it back in the 80's. As QueenLiz said - side effect #1 = hunger from low fat, low protein*. Prolonged use of a low protein diet increases your chance for lean muscle mass loss.

My other side effects were terrible gas (that one should be obvious). A sore mouth from all the tomato day after day after day (highly acidic).

Did I lose weight? Sure I lost some water weight....after all it's only 7 days. You can't expect any real progress in 7 days. If there is no real progress.....why put yourself thru this?

Just use MFP as intended. Eat foods you actually enjoy eating and measure your portions. Learning about foods you will continue to eat for a lifetime will give you tools to keep the weight off (for good).

I tried and didn't work for me,

Tried...what? MFP? Or the cabbage soup diet?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I LOVE spicy cabbage and tomato soup, and frequently make a big batch because it's cozy and filling and delicious and I can eat a giant stock pot full for like 400 calories! In fact, it's my go-to "reboot" food to get me back in the zone after I've had a couple of high calorie days in a row. I have eaten it for both lunch and dinner in one day on a number of occasions.

But a whole week? Pish. That's nutritionally foolish, boring, and unsustainable.

Oh, and pish on the pooter-haters, too. I eat cabbage and other cruciferous veggies often enough that I don't experience any noisy or smelly gas.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. A Oreo diet I wouldn't mind doing for 7 days but not the cabbage soup one.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. A Oreo diet I wouldn't mind doing for 7 days but not the cabbage soup one.

And risk ruining Oreos? Never! The worst the OP will do is poop herself, make herself miserable and/or sick, and develop a hatred for both soup and vegetables.

Think, man! Think of the Oreos!