Body Image

Options
In mid-January I was 157 lbs, my goal to get to 119 (I'm not mush over 5 ft so that's on OK BMI goal). I've lost 16 lbs, measure smaller, and now wear jeans a size smaller. This is great! And it's not even been too hard to do in a slow-and-steady, make changes that are sustainable, kind of way. BUT - when I look in the mirror, I can't see the change. I still see the fat me and it worries me. Will I start liking my body again if I lose the weight I want to or is my body image going to forever be distorted? Anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• lovematthewchristopher
    lovematthewchristopher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I have lost 61 pounds, and i am just starting to see the difference in the mirror. I see a big difference in the way my clothes fit (or rather, the way they dont fit anymore), but i still dont see it so much in the mirror. I too, am hoping that it changes with time. There have been so many changes in my life lately, so i figure, it is just taking a bit of time for my brain to catch up to the rest of me. Good luck with your journey.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I either see myself as too overweight or not built enough, depends on the lighting. I look for everyday little changes so I know I'm still on the right path, like a little more separation between muscle heads or increased vascularity etc

Taking progress pics, posing videos and the like also keep me on track. Watching the difference between them let's me know I'm still in the right direction!
  • fightmypast
    fightmypast Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi LindyMopLoo, when I was first on here about 2 years ago, I dropped about 20lbs pretty quickly (granted a LOT of factors played into this...) but from my experience, i obviously cannot speak for others, I didn't notice the change either, even when it was a big shift. because it is so gradual and we see it every day, it is harder for us to notice than people we see every few months. I always saw the fat me (still do) even afterward because I focused on the flaws I saw before and still had (even though they were to a lesser extent).

Affirmations and just small compliments to myself have really helped, like just saying to myself, wow, your eyes look great today, or you look really cute in this! or hey, there, nice waist! or anything like that--I like the playful/sassy ones. :) Ones that take my focus off my body also really help to distract myself, like when I do well on something/make a good choice in life or healthy food, or that I am really smart or know a lot about a subject. Anything like that helps me think of me more holistically. I am not just my body. I am curvy, lively, and fun!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It takes time to see the "new you" even if you see yourself every day. You're pretty early in the process. I know it took months after I got down to a healthy range for me to see it. You've done great so far though. Congratulations :smile:
  • ups14
    ups14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It takes time to see the "new you" even if you see yourself every day. You're pretty early in the process. I know it took months after I got down to a healthy range for me to see it. You've done great so far though. Congratulations :smile:

Thanks, I appreciate it! The marks are always a reminder; although I think ultimately it comes down to managing expectations and finding happiness even if it is not with someone.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I guess it depends on your body shape, and how and where the fat is stored. For example, if you lose your weight "equally" around the body, dropping a clothing size is not remarkable. (Good news: it means that gaining a size if not THAT bad !!)

But at some point a more noticeable change will happen. For example, your face may become really thinner. Or your stomach becomes flat, and that will typically creates a significant change in a women's figure. But, if the person never wears clothes that reveals the waist ... You get the picture. These are just examples.

Hang in there. Be sure to take pictures of yourself, in underwear or simple garments, so you can track the changes as you go.
  • ups14
    Options
    I guess it depends on your body shape, and how and where the fat is stored. For example, if you lose your weight "equally" around the body, dropping a clothing size is not remarkable. (Good news: it means that gaining a size if not THAT bad !!)

But at some point a more noticeable change will happen. For example, your face may become really thinner. Or your stomach becomes flat, and that will typically creates a significant change in a women's figure. But, if the person never wears clothes that reveals the waist ... You get the picture. These are just examples.

Hang in there. Be sure to take pictures of yourself, in underwear or simple garments, so you can track the changes as you go.

The irony is, I've lost weight on all parts of my body except my stomach...so this flat stomach you are talking about, I know nothing of LOL. And I'm inverted triangle which doesn't help!
  • ups14
    Options
    Sorry if this seems out of the blue: I got two threads mixed up :s
    The other one is http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10353839/body-image-and-intimacy#latest
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ups14 wrote: »

The irony is, I've lost weight on all parts of my body except my stomach...so this flat stomach you are talking about, I know nothing of LOL. And I'm inverted triangle which doesn't help!

Oh but you know, we don't get to chose where the weight will shed first ... I know my stomach is flat only when I am under 120 lbs (for 5"4"). So you'll see take pictures, if seeing progress keeps you motivated, that will help a lot !