March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I went back out and ran a few more this evening.

exercise.png
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Mid-week longish run today - 15.44 km at 7:02 min/km, av HR 143, max HR 156. This felt good today. That pace is about what I plan to do on marathon day (or maybe I can go a bit faster; we'll see). 7 min/km is about a 5 hr marathon. I am thinking that I am going to add in a day a week at marathon pace just so I know I can do it on marathon day. I have been doing all slower, easy runs at 7:30 - 8:00 min/km (with av HR around 125 -135) for the last 3 months or so to build my aerobic base. (Also, the summer heat and humidity has prevented me doing anything fast - I found it impossible to run fast in those conditions). It's autumn now, so the weather should start to cool off soon; well, maybe in May it will be cooler :)

Also, I am going into maintenance today. I dropped the 3.5 kg I wanted to, so will be increasing my cals again. I am assuming that the combination of being lighter, the weather cooling off, and increasing cals is gonna make this running thing easy for the next few months (haha - listen to my runner's high!). Life is good.

1 Mar Rest
    2 Mar 13.05 km
    3 Mar 7.16 km
    4 Mar 7.42 km
    5 Mar 23.39 km
    6 Mar Rest
    7 Mar 7.42 km
    8 Mar 7.44 km
    9 Mar 13.29 km
    10 Mar Rest
    11 Mar 7.44 km
    12 Mar 24.34
    13 Mar Rest
    14 Mar 7.24 km
    15 Mar Rest
    16 Mar 15.44 km

Total: 133.63 km / 200 km

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5
    Mar 04      3.8     11.3
    Mar 08      4.1T    15.4
    Mar 10      5.1     20.5
    Mar 12      6.5     27.0
    Mar 13      5.1     32.1
    Mar 15      3.5T    35.6 Hills, L8, 6.5MPH, 30+

exercise.png

For the first time since joining the MFP Challengers in July 2015, I've signed up for a couple of races. I'll be at the St. Patrick's Day 5K in South Boston on Sunday, 3/20, followed by the Cohasset Road Race by the Sea 10K on Sunday, 4/3. Any other good races in New England coming up?
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    3 more miles down today - scheduled to run 4 tomorrow. Excited I found a new binge watch show on Netflix that will keep me going on the treadmill!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - My protein powder has some BCAA's in it, but I don't have the really good stuff like that. Wishing I did. I dropped something and it took three attempts each different ways to get it off the ground!:lol: I guess this is what the weight lifters feel like after leg day!

Lots of careful stretching planned tomorrow. Right now I may as well have stilts for legs.

Oh that sounds awful! I feel for ya!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I just wanted to share this with the newbies:

I started a new lavender Believe training journal today. As I logged my first entry, I thought, "you have made no progress, still walk running, still gimpy, still slow...". So I went to the old one and compared the first 2 weeks to where I am now.

Week 1- 7 miles, week 2- 10+ miles and a smiley face. (I didn't look past week 2, that'd defeat the purpose, and allow me to affirm in some twisted way that I am NO better). I'm ramping to 25-30 MPW currently.

I had goals listed- attained. Oh alright, I'm still working on the food. But hit my 5k pr goal, hit and surpassed my days running goal, and goal of lowering my BF.

So hang in there.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3.15.16 - 10.3 m. : 1 mile warmup, Then three 5K's in 24:15, 23:57, 23:39.

Upcoming Runs:
    4.3.16 - Knoxville Marathon
    5.1.16 - Flying Pig Marathon
    5.29.16 - Buffalo Marathon
    6.18.16 - Grandma's Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JohnONE29 You'll be in my neck of the woods at Grandma's Marathon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I dropped something and it took three attempts each different ways to get it off the ground!:lol: I guess this is what the weight lifters feel like after leg day!
    Lots of careful stretching planned tomorrow. Right now I may as well have stilts for legs.
    @WhatMeRunning Sorry but LOL :D . That's what I remember from my August Sprint Tri-Athlon last year. The event chip timing supplier asked me to take off my ankle bracelet and there was no way I could reach it.

Love the names of some of the marathons - @JohnONE29 Flying Pig
  • Elise4270
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I dropped something and it took three attempts each different ways to get it off the ground!:lol: I guess this is what the weight lifters feel like after leg day!
    @WhatMeRunning Sorry but LOL :D . That's what I remember from my August Sprint Tri-Athlon last year. The event chip timing supplier asked me to take off my ankle bracelet and there was no way I could reach it.

Love the names of some of the marathons - @JohnONE29 Flying Pig

Isn't the flying pig one with bacon?
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Feeling a little overwhelmed by the number of posts to read, so posting first and *then* going to see what y'all have been up to today!

3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/5....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)
    3/8....4.5 @ 11:53 on the park trail
    3/9...2.5 @ 15:00ish walking the world's fattest, most slothful dog :)
    3/10...4.25 @ 11:37 on the rail trail near my house. It was so nice to be outside--and warm!--at 6 am!
    3/11...3.00 @ 10:39 on the rail trail
    3/14...3.0 @ 10:56 on the rail trail--it was a little wet and slippery; I almost landed on my rear in the creek at the water crossing!
    3/15...3.0 @ 10:24 on the treadmill and strength training

exercise.png

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Wow, am I sore and having trouble moving around this afternoon! This is because I got a gym membership to take advantage of more cross training and strength training options for my running training. Of course they ask what my interests are and I say "running and more running with strength building, active recovery, cross training, weight loss, all that stuff that helps me run". I should have known better than to open my big fat mouth because that is when they set me up with a personal trainer to help with exactly that. They were even able to fit me in as early as this morning!! Sure, seemed OK. Get a workout in early, then run later, right?

Well...

It was a great workout really. The trainer had me doing a lot of things, and finding weaker areas I could develop, and in the core, hips, glutes, legs areas just as I requested. He had me repeat the items in a circuit and where resistance/weight could be adjusted moved things up or down based on my performance the prior time. By the 3rd round I was right at fatigue on every routine. So...great workout. I have more of these scheduled so that the routine sinks into my brain...

...and then at lunch time I went for my scheduled easy 5 miler. Hey, it's an easy run, if I'm a little stiff from the workout, no problem. Run it easy. Holy freaking crap was that a miserable run! I had to walk quite a bit to keep my HR from going too high for easy pace. It was a slog when running. And that steep downhill at the start was the opposite coming back, only twice as steep, I swear.

Now, after getting some real lunch afterwards and popping into the library to get connected back to work and see what the heck is going on (I'm supposed to be working, I think) I find myself barely able to climb in and out of the Jeep. Especially out, with one foot on the ground and having to lift the other over the high ledge the Jeep has from the cabin floor climbing out the door. How i have not fallen on my face, I'm not sure. But I'm glad I have kept it from happening.

Gonna eat and rest tonight...have 5 more miles tomorrow. Hoping they are a bit more normal.

Ummm...don't be surprised if you hurt *more* tomorrow!

When I first started strength training I would run before, because I knew I wouldn't be able to after.
    Now, I just keep my miles short on PT days. The hardest workouts were the day after my long run. Those are miserable. I actually had to move some days around because my body just couldn't do 11-12 miles and then lift weights the next day.
  • itsup2memi
    itsup2memi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am new to the challenge...which of course ...
    Challenge Accepted!
    I am going to go with 50.
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    March Goal - 50km walking

March 16 - 1km
    March total - 42.8

7.2km to go :smile:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    aerial yoga is not nearly scary. especially when you do low aerial yoga. 6in off the ground. it's like yoga and foam rolling all in one
    24375609235_50d5219518_n.jpg
    23510376431_19e97a7a52_n.jpg

@moyer566 I would love to try aerial yoga. I've seen other pics as well, and it all looks awesome!

@WhatMeRunning Wow, you went from active to hyperactive! ;)

@Ohhim Love your pics! Nice trip!
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    2.1 miles this morning. Another awful run :( I can't help but think I'm starting to fail at running, a month or so ago i ran my first 10k but now I'm struggling to even run 2 miles :(
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    March 2016
    01/3……….09.44……….9.44
    02/3……….02.95……….12.39
    03/3……….15.36……….27.75
    04/3……….05.01……….32.76
    05/3……….10.00.........42.76
    06/3……….06.20……….48.96
    07/3……….03.94……….52.90 + strength
    08/3……….13.65……….66.55
    09/3…….Sick Children...…66.55
    10/3……….03.79.........70.34
    11/3……….05.01……….75.35
    12/3……….21.11……….96.46
    13/3……….rest………….96.46
    14/3……….03.23……….99.69
    15/3……….15.99……….115.68

Physio was great yesterday.. I have the all clear to keep up with my distance running :smiley: ITBS is playing up. Have some great glute, hip and upper leg exercises to work on. My physio said I will be running marathons in no time (not sure about that one just yet haha) Hope everyone is doing well… Picked up my Brooks today too (Birthday pressie :smiley: ) Can’t wait to try them out!!! Woop woop!!!!! Happy St. Pat’s Day for tomorrow!

March Races
    *12/3 Leukaemia Foundation Run – 21.1 km 2:53:32
    *20/3 Melanoma Awareness March – 4 km
    *The March Charge Monthly Challenge – 150 km
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 super news from the physio!!! So pleased for you :) . And Happy Birthday!

@kateparry84 We all have peaks and valleys in our running journey, and it's easy to become disheartened. Take the pressure off yourself. Think about why it might feel harder just now - are you cutting calories, or not getting enough sleep, trying to run too fast, is it getting hot on your runs, do you have a goal right now? There is often a simple solution. If it is psychological and you're in a slump, remember what you have achieved with your 10km. It doesn't go away that fast. Try running a bit slower when you get out there, take some motivating music, look around at the scenery - enjoy the feeling of what you can do - you can run!

@Ohhim Nice pics!

@skippygirlsmom that is getting hot! Well done getting out there!

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @kateparry84 Don't despair yet, you'll get back on track soon. Has anything changed since you ran the 10km? Diet? Stress at work? Are you trying to run too fast? Too often? Not enough rest days? If so, go back to what worked before and you'll be back to it in time. Even if nothing has seemingly changed, I find a couple of weeks running super slow paces with a couple of days cross training instead of running when I'm stuck in a rut helps a lot, it's like pressing the 'reset' button on my running. Plus, a few days stuck at the gym on the elliptical and I'm bored to tears and can't wait to get back out there again :lol:
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    March goal—can I make 120 km?
    second half on 3/27—Dongguan Songshan First Annual
    3/1—3.31 km having trouble getting my butt out of bed.
    3/3—5.09 km
    3/4—7.01 km—dear self, remember if you’re going to run to use your inhaler, mmkay?
    3/7—3.9 km would have run more but yeah…excuses
    3/9—5.06 km
    3/11—5.22 km
    3/13—5.90 km
    3/16—5.1 km—tracker malfunctioned though and said was 5.5