Safest pre workout for women

Options
I get to the gym at 5am and need something to give me a boost. Im scared of pre workout because I dont want it to make me feel jittery or like my heart is racing. What is the safest pre workout for women?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? What is pre workout?
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you don't have any preexisting health conditions, I think most preworkouts will be fine. The preworkout I use (C4 has 135mg of caffeine). I think the way to avoid the jitteriness is just finding the correct dosage. For instance while I take a full scoop of C4, I use it as both a preworkout and intraworkout. Because I'm small, if I drink it too fast I get the "beta alanine" tingles.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Try a cup of coffee or green tea. It will give you a jolt, but not enough to make you jittery like pre-workout supplements and 'energy' drinks.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Every person reacts to preworkout supplements differently, so you'll have to try different ones to see how you react. I know for me I like NLA for Her. I don't get jittery, but have a jump. I've also used Spark and that's been the same result for me. I know other people who've had a different reaction to Spark where they were too jittery and high strung after drinking it.

Those are the only one's I've tried, so I have no opinion on other ones out there. Like I said, everyone reacts differently so it's really trial and error.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of a specific only women's formula unless it makes you feel better to buy products marketed to women like NLA. I'm not a coffee drinker and I've never had a problem with any pre-workouts I've taken. If you can get some samples from a nutrition store before you commit to a purchase, and always start off with half the packet/dosage. I've tried Spark and it did nothing for me but like @rambo529 said everyone is different.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    coffee for me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    coffee for me
    Exactly. The hype over pre workout is so exaggerated by many gym socialites who really don't need it, but use it because everyone else does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I used to work out early, I had a protein shake with instant coffee.
  • stubbzie05
    stubbzie05 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Grenade pre workout is the best out there
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I drink a half cup of coffee with soy creamer.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    C4 is pretty mild.

• mlindeman0002
    mlindeman0002 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to take ACG3 Charged and loved it, but it does cause the jittery feeling, which I don't mind. But I recently wanted to try Unico Nutrition because I have heard very good reviews. They have an all natural pre workout and a standard pre workout. I purchased the regular pre workout and it does not cause they jittery feeling, but you do get energized. Also, I have always heard that girls should not take C4 because it will cause women to retain more water than we already do, and we all know we don't want that! Hope that helps!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You might try Amino Fuel by Optimum Nutrition. It has 50mg of caffeine per scoop. Which is derived from green tea, and green coffee beans. It also has BCAA's. Which helps with muscle recovery.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Coffee the vast majority of the time. When I need a little more oomph to get through a training session, powder burn 2.0 by Rivalus. Nice focused energy with no crash later.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i dont think any preworkout is necessarily unsafe. you can make anything unsafe by taking too much of it. cellucor's c4 is a good starting place! it has all the necessary ingredients to give you a swift kick in the behind. another good one is called Volt, by neon sport. both of these have great tasting flavors that you dont have to choke down!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Coffee for me too
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Probably the same brands that are safe for men.. If you get jitters easily simply split your doses.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    coffee for me
    Exactly. The hype over pre workout is so exaggerated by many gym socialites who really don't need it, but use it because everyone else does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

use your own intestinal fortitude and some coffee.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I used to take ACG3 Charged and loved it, but it does cause the jittery feeling, which I don't mind. But I recently wanted to try Unico Nutrition because I have heard very good reviews. They have an all natural pre workout and a standard pre workout. I purchased the regular pre workout and it does not cause they jittery feeling, but you do get energized. Also, I have always heard that girls should not take C4 because it will cause women to retain more water than we already do, and we all know we don't want that! Hope that helps!

For me C4 doesn't cause water retention, the only preworkouts that make me retain more water are those high in creatine. I think C4 only has 1g, so I personally never bloat from it. Also rechecking the ingredients I realize it's 150mg caffeine, not 135mg like I previously said.
  • 6AMGANG
    6AMGANG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    coffee for me

This is not true - I didn't use it when I started lifting. Now I do, after being shown - it does improve workout/lifts.