calories in vs out

Options
Ok sound like a dumb question but lets say my daily intake shld be 2050 cal a day too lose 2lbs a week, if i eat 2000 and burn 800ish working out shld i eat them back or jus keep like that, most of my cal are from mostly chicken and vegs and some potatoes-rice. Thanks

Replies

• katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    eat back half of exercise cals.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    brockb1981 wrote: »
    Ok sound like a dumb question but lets say my daily intake shld be 2050 cal a day too lose 2lbs a week, if i eat 2000 and burn 800ish working out shld i eat them back or jus keep like that, most of my cal are from mostly chicken and vegs and some potatoes-rice. Thanks
    you eat back calories as MFP already calculates a deficit for your desired loss

• brockb1981
    brockb1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It also seems like alot of food
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Eat then back, 50% at least. If you are losing too fast eat back more.
    You need the food to support the exercise you are doing.
    Quite often if they are not eaten back ones normal activity level drops to compensate for the energy burnt through exercise, one will tend to be tired more often, and one becomes more susceptible to minor illnesses, colds, flu, stomach bugs, etc.

A 2lbs deficit is suitable for people needing to lose over 75 lbs.
    if you have less than that to lose you may want to reassess your goal to 1lbs a week. This will help with long term adherence and LBM retention.

Cheers, h.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Well, not all of them, unless you're positive that 800 is an accurate burn. You should be netting at least 1500.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    7000 a week to lose 2lbs BUT it's not exact
    I never eat exercise calories I just find a calculator with my activity level eat upto those calories
  • brockb1981
    brockb1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eat then back, 50% at least. If you are losing too fast eat back more.
    You need the food to support the exercise you are doing.
    Quite often if they are not eaten back ones normal activity level drops to compensate for the energy burnt through exercise, one will tend to be tired more often, and one becomes more susceptible to minor illnesses, colds, flu, stomach bugs, etc.

A 2lbs deficit is suitable for people needing to lose over 75 lbs.
    if you have less than that to lose you may want to reassess your goal to 1lbs a week. This will help with long term adherence and LBM retention.

Cheers, h.

Thanks alot very well explanation
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you lose eating 2000 calories and no exercise, then you are still going to lose eating 2400 and burning 400- 800 through exercise. The 50% of exercise calories recommendation assumes some overestimation in calories burned during exercise. All you can do is set up the goal, stick to the plan, and see what happens.

I've consistently lost eating 2000-2400 a day depending on my level of activity. As I've come down closer to my goal weight I've found far less room for error. If I'm eating 2000, then I'm losing at least a little even if I'm dang near sedentary. If I'm more active I can eat 2400 and still lose. If I let myself eat 2400 when I'm not active, then. the scale stops moving.
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat back calories based on hunger, so I'll start out by eating my baseline calories (1440 for me) and if I burned say 600 at spinning class, I'll see how I'm feeling after my 1440 - if I'm hungry, I'll have something to eat, if I'm not, I'll call it a day.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to base my calories on what I need with my standard exercise (lifting weights 4-6 hours a week) built in and just keep them flat. Yes you need to take into account your total calorie burn.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    It'd be a lot of food (by volume) if all you ate were vegetables. Add in calorie dense foods (like peanut butter or avocados) and it's EASY to hit 2000 calories in a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png