March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ran couple of 5K distances this week and found out that the best I did was 40 minutes. This surprised me how I could run the first 5K race inside 32 minutes, was a surprise even at the race finish. Then I went to Mapmyrun website and tried creating a route which I had run for the first 5K and it showed me the distance was 4.05 Km, I should have carried the mobile phone on race day :(. This means technically I never ran a 5K race :):) lol...

Don't know why the organizers said it was a 5K, it was organised inside our campus, probably they just wanted people to get up from seats and run :):)

Had a wonderful run yesterday, I couldn't run in the morning so went for a run in the evening. that was horribly hot and humid. But was satisfied nevertheless.

Date.................KM...................Total
    3/2..................04.13.................04.13 (Walk)
    3/3..................02.62.................6.75 (Walk / Run)
    3/4..................03.40.................10.15 (Walk / Run)
    3/5..................04.37.................14.52 (Walk / Run)
    3/6..................01.52.................16.04 (Run)
    3/10.................01.58.................17.62 (Walk)
    3/12.................05.16.................22.78 (Run / Walk)
    3/15.................05.65.................28.43 (Run / Walk)

Upcoming Races: 10 April (5K) - Technically the first 5K

exercise.png
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

2/3........5k
    4/3........5k
    6/3........7k
    9/3........5k
    11/3......5k
    13/3......8k
    15/3......5k

Dear spotify, adverts for Cadburys whilst I am running are really unhelpful.

Jan 45k
    Feb 61k
    Mar 40k

Goals for March:
    1. 13 runs @ 74km......7 run at 40k
    2. 8km long run...........8k
    3. Be less slow............I am a little less slow.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ohhim - love the pictures and nice bike! Do you have to camp on that trip, or did you get hotels? Some people in my cycling group do some summer trips for 5-7 days but they camp each night. No thank you. Not after biking all day!

@Elise4270 - that's awesome about your journal. I got a journal for Christmas and I have not been consistent in writing in it at all.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training

exercise.png
  • jstafaz
    jstafaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I just wanted to share this with the newbies:

I started a new lavender Believe training journal today. As I logged my first entry, I thought, "you have made no progress, still walk running, still gimpy, still slow...". So I went to the old one and compared the first 2 weeks to where I am now.

Week 1- 7 miles, week 2- 10+ miles and a smiley face. (I didn't look past week 2, that'd defeat the purpose, and allow me to affirm in some twisted way that I am NO better). I'm ramping to 25-30 MPW currently.

I had goals listed- attained. Oh alright, I'm still working on the food. But hit my 5k pr goal, hit and surpassed my days running goal, and goal of lowering my BF.

So hang in there.

@elise4270 Thank you for sharing this. As one of those newbies, I appreciate it! Progress is slow and not always evident. I hadn't thought of keeping a running journal but can see how it may be helpful. I think I'll add that to my "to do" list for the week.

Last night was a multi-tasking challenge but I did manage to run 3.59 mi beginning in the school parking lot when I dropped my little guy off for Cub Scouts! It was a little embarrassing to pick him up all sweaty but I have to say I was a little proud of it too. My main motivation was to hit the halfway point of my March goal as it was the 15th of the month. Mission accomplished. :smile:

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k. great time with some horrible hills. I would have had an amazing time without them and as it was i still beat my last 5k by 2:37min. Stepdaughter to be got second in her age group. i was 20 out of 36.
    13-rest day
    14-4.87mi happy bunny
    15-no run (yet) knee and kidneys are sore.
    16-no run-kidney's still hurt

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

@Orphia it is a lot of fun. there is lots of laughs in class

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    2.1 miles this morning. Another awful run :( I can't help but think I'm starting to fail at running, a month or so ago i ran my first 10k but now I'm struggling to even run 2 miles :(

I can say I know exactly how you feel. I ran a half marathon three weeks ago, and I'm currently struggling through four miles. It'll get better. This has happened to me many times, and, interestingly, it always seems to happen at this time of the year. If I look back through my logs, I seem to have been super unhappy with myself at the beginning of March for the past few years in a row. I don't know if my expectations are too high, I get myself too excited to finally run outside, or if it's the transition from the treadmill to road running that makes it feel awful. I've pulled through it the last few years (except for last year when I injured myself at the very end of March), and I am sure I will pull through it, again, this year. You will, too.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am)

Hard to get the legs moving today. Really heavy from the fast hills yesterday afternoon. Which I anticipated. But still... wow! Doing 6 or 8 more tonight, will probably depend on how the weather is treating us. After today, I won't run again til Saturday (!!!!) and I'm really looking forward to the break actually.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I just wanted to share this with the newbies:

I started a new lavender Believe training journal today. As I logged my first entry, I thought, "you have made no progress, still walk running, still gimpy, still slow...". So I went to the old one and compared the first 2 weeks to where I am now.

Week 1- 7 miles, week 2- 10+ miles and a smiley face. (I didn't look past week 2, that'd defeat the purpose, and allow me to affirm in some twisted way that I am NO better). I'm ramping to 25-30 MPW currently.

I had goals listed- attained. Oh alright, I'm still working on the food. But hit my 5k pr goal, hit and surpassed my days running goal, and goal of lowering my BF.

So hang in there.

@Elise4270 I love my Believe journal. I've been in a funk this week, so I looked back through it. It's a nice confidence builder. You can see the good runs (and the bad ones) and reflect more on them. And see how far you've come. It's great that you hit your goals from your last journal!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Withe the beginnings of 8-13 inches of snow falling, Schools are closed and I'm at home alone..and not going to run in this yuck...browsing brooksrunning.com This could be bad.......
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just read everything from yesterday to now. Apparently, many of suffer from the late-winter blahs. My running hasn't been too bad, except for illness in January and my MIL's final days in February. But, I am in a mental funk for sure. Combine that with everyone talking rain jackets and I really want some retail therapy. It would be pretty easy for me to buy a new jacket, some new shoes (of course) and some new shorts. I have really been wanting to switch to 2 in 1 with compression liners...any thoughts?

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. We all have peaks and valleys for sure.

SUPER EXCITED! I just registered my daughter for Girls on the Run. Hope she catches the running bug, too!

3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/12 - 7.5 hilly miles
    3/13 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/14 - Rest day...seriously sore from squats and dead lifts on Sunday
    3/15 - 4 miles on treadmill + weights (early a.m. thunderstorm kept me inside)
    3/16 - 4.02 windy miles...took a good 2 miles to get into a groove.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Just read everything from yesterday to now. Apparently, many of suffer from the late-winter blahs. My running hasn't been too bad, except for illness in January and my MIL's final days in February. But, I am in a mental funk for sure. Combine that with everyone talking rain jackets and I really want some retail therapy. It would be pretty easy for me to buy a new jacket, some new shoes (of course) and some new shorts. I have really been wanting to switch to 2 in 1 with compression liners...any thoughts?

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. We all have peaks and valleys for sure.

I have several pair (mpg brand). I liked them okay, but the ones I have don't wick as much as I need. After 9 miles, they cause chaffing and they are way more funky than the looser shorts I have. You might get one pair an see how you like them. Spring is a great time for retail therapy. I say treat yourself, sounds like you need it.
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Help! I'm having serious trouble adding distance to my run. I'm doing some HIIT in the morning and trying to run in the evening. I've tried a couple outside runs, but the wind is FIERCE here! My speed is improving, but I always feel dead at the end of my run. I'm super new to this, so any advice will be helpful!

Time to play catch up! I've been terrible about logging on here, but I think it will be motivational for me to see my progress.

3/1- 4 miles
    3/3- 4 miles
    3/7- 3.18 miles
    3/12- 3.2 miles
    3/14- 3.75 miles ---> 18.13

Upcoming races:
    3/12/16 Shamrock Shuffle 5k personal best! 29:30:83
    4/23/16 Jiggle Butt Run 5k
    5/1/16 Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    "retail therapy", I like that phrase ^^
    Sounds much better than "I went on an online shopping spree last night" - although that's pretty much what I did :p . I couldn't decide between the two rain jackets and ended up ordering them both. In two different places, because I couldn't find a single store that had both of them on sale. And of course you can't order just one thing, you have to check out the if they have any other nice things on sale, right? So I also ordered some gels, two shirts, one sports bra, one pair of socks and, actually, a pair of 2-in-1 shorts: Asics FujiTrail 2in1 shorts. I don't think they have compression liners, but the inner layer looks to be long enough to avoid the chafing I get in summer with too-short pants, and they have pockets, so they seem to be exactly what I was looking for.
    I've never had 2-in-1 shorts before. I used to think they'd be too hot in summer. But by now I've read a few times that they might be actually nicer than just tights, because the sun hits the outer layer, and you have an air layer in between that and the inner layer as isolation. I guess I'll see how that works once summer is here - today winter tried to make a return with a dusting of snow in the morning...

@rjmqk3 If you write your speed is improving, but you have serious trouble increasing the distance: maybe you are going out too fast? Try running at a pace that's slow enough that you could have a conversation (saying 1-2 sentences without getting out of breath), maybe that will allow you to increase the distance and not feel dead at the end of the run.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rjmqk3 wrote: »
    Help! I'm having serious trouble adding distance to my run. I'm doing some HIIT in the morning and trying to run in the evening. I've tried a couple outside runs, but the wind is FIERCE here! My speed is improving, but I always feel dead at the end of my run. I'm super new to this, so any advice will be helpful!

Time to play catch up! I've been terrible about logging on here, but I think it will be motivational for me to see my progress.

3/1- 4 miles
    3/3- 4 miles
    3/7- 3.18 miles
    3/12- 3.2 miles
    3/14- 3.75 miles ---> 18.13

Progress is slow. My 2¢, if you are wearing yourself out running, then run slow, then run even slower than that. Try a run walk regime, example- I run half a mile, then walk a tenth.

Also might swap some of your run days for walk days, ease off a bit. Give yourself time. I think the first 6 months for me was super hard and I just used a time goal. Try to run or walk ay leastt 3 days a week. I bet you are making more progress than you think, you just are consistently pushing your limits.

Running takes time to get "good" at. I'm sure other will have some surpurb advice. Hang in there.

We get lots of strong wind here too. I think of it as mother nature's hugs. Or like the wind over you if you could fly.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ haha! I spend a fair amount on shoes, shorts and bras a few weeks back. I think "how do I know if I have the right gear if I don't try other stuff out". I still need tanks. But dang, I don't wanna spend 40-50 USD for basically half of a shirt. Where's the sales people?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    2.1 miles this morning. Another awful run :( I can't help but think I'm starting to fail at running, a month or so ago i ran my first 10k but now I'm struggling to even run 2 miles :(
    I can think of a couple things since you are coming off of your first event. The first would be that you spent a couple weeks resting and lost a bit of endurance. The second is that maybe you did not rest enough and you need some rest to recuperate. Have you been increasing mileage (or attempting) every week? If so, try a down week where you reduce you mileage by about 20-25% and make them all easy runs. If you are coming back from resting and struggling, just keep your weekly mileage steady until you bring your conditioning up to your current mileage level, at which point you can start adding more distance again.
    When I first started strength training I would run before, because I knew I wouldn't be able to after.
    Now, I just keep my miles short on PT days. The hardest workouts were the day after my long run. Those are miserable. I actually had to move some days around because my body just couldn't do 11-12 miles and then lift weights the next day.
    Thanks for the tip! They actually set my 2nd day/week of PT on Sunday after my long runs. I've been thinking all night that I should change that, now I know i should.
    rjmqk3 wrote: »
    If you are trying to add distance, lose the speed. Go slow and easy. Once you are comfortable at that distance you can work on getting faster again. You may find that by simply running slow and easy while steadily building distance that you simply wind up faster anyway. But the trink in that case is by not trying to get faster, but to go longer.
    Withe the beginnings of 8-13 inches of snow falling, Schools are closed and I'm at home alone..and not going to run in this yuck...browsing brooksrunning.com This could be bad.......
    Stay away from the sale/clearance pages! Unless you want to have fun of course. n which case go directly to them and enjoy.:smile:
    Physio was great yesterday.. I have the all clear to keep up with my distance running :smiley:
    Great news!!:smile:
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ and @Elise4270 I will try going slower or alternating run/walks. Part of the problem is I run with my husband and he is SO STINKING FAST! Perhaps I will have to fly solo a couple times a week to work on distance. Thank you for your input! I love this message board. So many good ideas and so much support and encouragement.
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Argh, behind again!

3/2 - 3 mile walk
    3/3 - 2.25 mile run
    3/6 - 2 mile run
    3/7 - 3 mile brisk walk
    3/8 - 2 mile run, 1 mile walk
    3/9 - too much lightning
    3/10 - 2 mile run, 1.25 mile walk
    3/12 - 2.5 mile run, 2 mile walk