Replies

• kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    I thought in the other thread you started you said you were cutting in preparation for a bulk?

Anyway, now is a good time to find your maintenance calories, for this weight that you are now.

Weigh every day and average every 7, rolling it over every day to see your true weight.

I've been bulking for 9 months, I'm going to start cutting next month for the first time. I nplan on cutting for 2+ months to lose 8lbs or so

In your last thread didn't you state that you were only at 10% body fat? You should definitely keep bulking if so. No point in cutting. You're probably fairly defined with a decent amount of vascularity

Yes but all my body fat is in my abdominal area. I can't see any cuts or muscles inmmy abdominal area likeI would like too. I'm pretty lean except for my Prego belly

I'm the same way. I can be 9% body fat and still have abdominal fat and love handles while my biceps spiderweb with veins the second I get a pump. Just focus on gaining some lean mass and cut. Make sure to build abs while you bulk, it'll make them that much more noticeable once you get back down to a lower body fat %. I've got better abs now at 11% 176lbs then when I did at 156lbs and 8.5% body fat

How often do you workout abs? I hear that all you need is 5 minutes a day or 5 minutes every other day of an workouts
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I thought in the other thread you started you said you were cutting in preparation for a bulk?

Anyway, now is a good time to find your maintenance calories, for this weight that you are now.

Weigh every day and average every 7, rolling it over every day to see your true weight.

I've been bulking for 9 months, I'm going to start cutting next month for the first time. I nplan on cutting for 2+ months to lose 8lbs or so

In your last thread didn't you state that you were only at 10% body fat? You should definitely keep bulking if so. No point in cutting. You're probably fairly defined with a decent amount of vascularity

Yes but all my body fat is in my abdominal area. I can't see any cuts or muscles inmmy abdominal area likeI would like too. I'm pretty lean except for my Prego belly

I'm the same way. I can be 9% body fat and still have abdominal fat and love handles while my biceps spiderweb with veins the second I get a pump. Just focus on gaining some lean mass and cut. Make sure to build abs while you bulk, it'll make them that much more noticeable once you get back down to a lower body fat %. I've got better abs now at 11% 176lbs then when I did at 156lbs and 8.5% body fat

How often do you workout abs? I hear that all you need is 5 minutes a day or 5 minutes every other day of an workouts

You dont need to work abs if you dont want as you engage them while doing many compound lifts.

But i work mine 2 or 3x a week for 10 to 15 min each session because i want to ensure i have a strong core.
  • kingkam21
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You dont need to work abs if you dont want as you engage them while doing many compound lifts.

But i work mine 2 or 3x a week for 10 to 15 min each session because i want to ensure i have a strong core.

I see. I personally dis like doing abs and I've probably only worked out my abs a hand full of times.
    I have heard a few people state that a body builders first year, it is possible to gain muscle mass while cutting fat???? Is this true
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There is a thing called a recomp where you can see some simultaneous gains with fat loss but it is very time consuming and doesn't always yield the expect results. Having said that, some enjoy it because the fear of fat gains or dont care about a timeline.
  • Stefan_Bogdan
    Stefan_Bogdan Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I see. I personally dis like doing abs and I've probably only worked out my abs a hand full of times.
    I have heard a few people state that a body builders first year, it is possible to gain muscle mass while cutting fat???? Is this true

i can tell you from my experience that it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat . The trick is heavy weights and a good amount of protein intake . i am at the same body weight for 3 years but i can see some changed regarding the belly fat ! try to not do a lot of cardio. try to not eat breakfast. there are a lot of tricks , contact me for some more chit chat. good luck !
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1 week is not a plateau - 4 to 6 weeks is....

As for muscle gains it takes a long time, I'm 7 months into a recomp and seeing some results but I reckon it could be another year yet...
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I personally do them 2x a week with 1-days rest inbetween doing them and squats or deadlifts. I generally treat them like other muscle groups. 8-14 sets with 8-16 reps per set. I do about 3 exercises covering my upper and lower abs, then 2 exercises focusing on my obliques. They've definitely become more pronounced even with a layer of fat ontop and definitely are becoming stronger

• kingkam21
    Options

I personally do them 2x a week with 1-days rest inbetween doing them and squats or deadlifts. I generally treat them like other muscle groups. 8-14 sets with 8-16 reps per set. I do about 3 exercises covering my upper and lower abs, then 2 exercises focusing on my obliques. They've definitely become more pronounced even with a layer of fat ontop and definitely are becoming stronger

Will deadlifts and squats be considered abb workouts?? I do squats about 2 times a week and deadlifts about once. I don't have week abs, there just not showing like I would like them too
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Both squat and dl work your abs if done right.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    brainiac99 wrote: »

i can tell you from my experience that it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat . The trick is heavy weights and a good amount of protein intake . i am at the same body weight for 3 years but i can see some changed regarding the belly fat ! try to not do a lot of cardio. try to not eat breakfast. there are a lot of tricks , contact me for some more chit chat. good luck !

Cutting cardio and eating breakfast have nothing to do with getting abs. You get abs from low body fat, good body composition and genetics.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Will deadlifts and squats be considered abb workouts?? I do squats about 2 times a week and deadlifts about once. I don't have week abs, there just not showing like I would like them too

They're more so accessory movements when it comes to abs. Obviously they build core strength, but it's the same as how bench works triceps. More so indirectly. Id definitely still recommend doing ab workouts if you want to make them pop more and become more noticable.