Help needed from all you veterans. To say I'm getting frustrated is an understatement! Pleeaassee

Options

Replies

• missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm going to offer a different possibility--that any weight loss you may have accomplished may be hidden by water retention from increased exercise. I know this happens to me whenever I really step it up, and it can linger for a couple of weeks before I get a "whoosh" of weight loss all of a sudden. Here is an article that made a lot of sense to me: http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html

As for your Fitbit, I have a flex, and its calorie estimate is pretty spot on for me. I get fairly large adjustments (like 300-500 calories) from just hitting or exceeding my step count without doing any purposeful exercise (for comparison, I'm only 5'2" and weight about 155 lbs). On days I really exercise hard, I can get up to an 800 calorie or so adjustment. The reason for the large adjustment is because I have MFP set to sedentary. If I had it set to active, my adjustment would be smaller, but I would get more calories up front. I prefer to start with the lower calorie goal and "earn as I go."

Anyway, I hope you see a loss soon. Best of luck!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't have a fit bit. We have friends that have had them and it grossly overestimates your daily calorie burn. IMO, your better off using a HRM during cardio exercises and calculating your daily calories needs based off your activity level by using MFP's (or Scooby's) simple calculator. Like others said make sure you are weighing your food accurately too.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit (the most basic model, the Zip) and find it is really accurate. But I am making a skeptical McKayla Maroney face about a 3000-3200 burn.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Another to say your Fitbit might be overestimating.

I use an UP3 and it gives me an INSANE amount of calories for walking and running. I have a theory the closer you are to a healthy weight the more accurate it is, but I think for us obese gals it does some multiplication that makes it incorrect.

Yesterday, for instance, it gave me 1,744 calories for my active burn (and 1,437 for resting). It thinks I went 7.85 miles. I walked for 3.25 miles at lunch, take a 1 mile round trip in and out of work every day, walked another 1 mile after work, and ran for 1.5 miles after work. So that's 6.75 in addition to any small amount of steps I might have taken going here or there, so it is already overestimating on distance. But even if we pretend I walked all of that, 1.5 miles ran and 6.35 miles walked... the standard calculation is .63 x (weight in lbs) x miles for calories burned running and .33 x (weight in lbs) x miles for calories burned walking. So that should be no more than 571 extra calories. And yet it gave me more than 3x that! Or even if you assume 100-120 cals per mile, that is still 800 more than the high end of that calculation.

I also think MFP's standard calories for walking/running overestimate. This has been my personal experience, I use a spreadsheet to average all my food eaten and exercise calories burned and estimate my weight loss and compare that to my actual weight loss. It has started to get a lot more accurate once I started using the above calculation instead of MFP numbers or even my HRM numbers.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,757 Member
    Options
    minamina27 wrote: »
    This is my 3rd week on stronglifts so I only do around 25 minutes of cardio now on my lifting days, 2 gym days just cardio plus a 4 mile run on a Saturday morning and walking most days and Zumba classes.

And here is a totally opposite vote about your Fitbit being inaccurate given the substantial amount of exercise you are doing.

You just started Stronglifts. The possibility of water retention is extremely high.

Your weight changes? Are you using scale or a trending weight apps such as trendweight and weightgrapher?

If you are not using a trending weight app, please connect your fitbit account to them so that you can automatically transfer weight information over and can look at your trending weight changes as opposed to your scale weight changes to try and control a bit for water weight variations.

You also said that your body composition changed and that your clothes fit better. Did that happen magically?

Attached is a DXA scan of a female in her 40s who over a period of 3.3. months, BY EVIDENCE of her scan results, generated a daily deficit in the 1000 Cal range.

I bet you she was going WTF?!, just like you are, when her scale was showing "just" 12.1lbs of weight loss in spite of the deficit she thought she had.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ivy2PKgcqcUFRJbHJ6UWZKXzZJelVMYkpPcUc4a0RFalQ4/view?usp=sharing

I am not saying that her result is typical. But it is obviously not impossible if you take an untrained individual who has sufficient fat available and train them.

If you want to test whether this is related to your exercise and just want to see a big weight drop, just stop exercising for a week and eat at (your much reduced because of lack of exercise) maintenance calories for that week, and see what happens with your weight.
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your words of wisdom so far.
    Just to clarify
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You are not burnign more than 1000 calories per day on this exercise routine. And you are eating too much. I checked your diet for the last couple of weeks in February. You are around 2000 calories with several days over 3000, some closer to 4000. You need to be more consistent. And no matter what your fitbit says, I would not expect more than 500-600 calories from exercise. Assuming you have a sedentary lifestyle other than your exercise, I woudl be surprised if your TDEE is above 2500 or so.

I am **200lbs** and so I do burn more calories than somebody who is not obese. I have checked many calculators which give me 450-500 cals for a 5k at my weight, plus I spend/ was spending up to 45 minutes after that doing cardio. Zumba, according to my fitbit burns anywhere between 450 and 550,I walk an average 17000 steps a day and as my mfp is set to sedentary that's why I get a larger adjustment than if I set it to active?.. Yes I have several days over 2000 and even a couple over 3000 with 3029 being my highest! but if I have an occasion to attend or birthday etc I average for the week and you will notice that the days prior to or after are a lot lower. On the 'worst of such weeks my average daily calories were 1550 net.

I know that the calorie burn given is inflated and that is why I'm trying different proportions of it to eat back. I am just using the best tools I have available to me and I'm sure my fitbit HR is a better estimator than MFP or the machines.

I appreciate you taking the time to help. Would you suggest sticking with 50% or changing my mfp to slightly active or active? Thanks.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,757 Member
    Options

I use an UP3 and it gives me an INSANE amount of calories for walking and running. I have a theory the closer you are to a healthy weight the more accurate it is, but I think for us obese gals it does some multiplication that makes it incorrect.

Yesterday, for instance, it gave me 1,744 calories for my active burn (and 1,437 for resting). It thinks I went 7.85 miles. I walked for 3.25 miles at lunch, take a 1 mile round trip in and out of work every day, walked another 1 mile after work, and ran for 1.5 miles after work. So that's 6.75 in addition to any small amount of steps I might have taken going here or there, so it is already overestimating on distance. But even if we pretend I walked all of that, 1.5 miles ran and 6.35 miles walked... the standard calculation is .63 x (weight in lbs) x miles for calories burned running and .33 x (weight in lbs) x miles for calories burned walking. So that should be no more than 571 extra calories. And yet it gave me more than 3x that! Or even if you assume 100-120 cals per mile, that is still 800 more than the high end of that calculation.

I also think MFP's standard calories for walking/running overestimate. This has been my personal experience, I use a spreadsheet to average all my food eaten and exercise calories burned and estimate my weight loss and compare that to my actual weight loss. It has started to get a lot more accurate once I started using the above calculation instead of MFP numbers or even my HRM numbers.

For every anecdotal evidence leaning one way, there is another leaning the opposite way.

According to MFP and Google Fit, for the three weeks ending March 12, I should have gained 3.5lbs. This is based on Google's GPS/wifi distance logging and my phone's step calculations. I judge my phone's calculations to be fairly accurate. On some few occasions I have the phone on a charger as opposed to on me. Usually i am in the house when that happens and working on my workstation.

According to MFP and Fitbit, for the three weeks ending March 12, I should have lost 1.47lbs. This is based on the "overly generous" step count of the Fitbit Charge HR that occasionally gives me steps for typing.

According to my trending weight app I lost 1.5lbs during the time period.

In fact, since day 1, I've found Google Fit to be criminally insane in underestimating burns.

All you can do is verify and cross-check your burns and see if they make sense for you and if they appear to match the reality of your trending weight app...

The "gold" standard you may want to use are the MET tables in the compendium of physical activities. The speed of your walk or run has a heck of a lot to do with how many calories your activity burns.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So you start your post stating that 1200 - 1400 was not enough calories for you, but then the follow up is that you are netting a max of 1100 and not losing?

There is a possibility that you have some water retention going on, but at 3 weeks on your current plan I would expect that to reverse soon if that is your issue. Many have stated here that something like 2-3 weeks is a normal period of time to see water retention from starting a new strength training program.

FWIW I'm 5'6, started this time at 211 pounds and have eaten less than 1400 pretty consistently. I mostly ignore my exercise calories. At the moment I'm doing 3 days of spinning class and then 3 days of mixed cardio (walk/row/precor) with the odd walk thrown in here and there. No regular strength training and lean mass is holding up thus far...shows increased actually by 4 pounds, but it is just by tape measure so who knows?
  • blues4miles
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

For every anecdotal evidence leaning one way, there is another leaning the opposite way.

According to MFP and Google Fit, for the three weeks ending March 12, I should have gained 3.5lbs. This is based on Google's GPS/wifi distance logging and my phone's step calculations. I judge my phone's calculations to be fairly accurate. On some few occasions I have the phone on a charger as opposed to on me. Usually i am in the house when that happens and working on my workstation.

According to MFP and Fitbit, for the three weeks ending March 12, I should have lost 1.47lbs. This is based on the "overly generous" step count of the Fitbit Charge HR that occasionally gives me steps for typing.

According to my trending weight app I lost 1.5lbs during the time period.

In fact, since day 1, I've found Google Fit to be criminally insane in underestimating burns.

All you can do is verify and cross-check your burns and see if they make sense for you and if they appear to match the reality of your trending weight app...

The "gold" standard you may want to use are the MET tables in the compendium of physical activities. The speed of your walk or run has a heck of a lot to do with how many calories your activity burns.

Right, and I just said for me it didn't work, so I agree everyone has to fiddle around and see what works for them. Though I peaked at your profile, and you are another point in my theory that it is accurate the closer you are to a healthy weight.

I didn't pull those numbers from a hat, they are in this article in Runner's World: http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning which is from this published study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15570150

I am just telling you my experience, but it frequently gives me 3000+ calories (inactive + active calories) for days that I slowly hobble for 3 miles at a walk, and then slowly shuffle for 3 miles at a jog. If that number was accurate, I would have lost 8 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I have actually lost 3 to 5 (3.3 according to 20 day average which is the same math TrendWeight uses, or 5 if you go by what the scale said 21 days ago versus what it said today). It seems pretty accurate on weekends (1800-2000) when I usually only get around 3k steps in, 1930 is my Scooby TDEE for sedentary. So I feel like there is a multiplier on the steps that is wrong. I'm not saying you or someone else doesn't have accurate numbers or can't burn that many calories, I'm saying I've done the math and it doesn't work out that I'd actually be using 3,000+ calories on all these days.

In sum:
    UP3 expected weight loss: 8.3 lbs
    Google Fit expected: 3.98 lbs
    TDEE & using the run/walk formulas above expected: 3.54 lbs

Actual (using my 20-day moving average from 21 days ago compared to today): 3.335 lbs

We all have to play with our own numbers to see if they are working or not...the UP3 is still valuable for me as a step tracker (ballpark), sleep tracker, and some of the other notifications it has. I just don't trust the calorie burn. It claims to use MET values by the way.
  • minamina27
    Options
    I'm going to offer a different possibility--that any weight loss you may have accomplished may be hidden by water retention from increased exercise. I know this happens to me whenever I really step it up, and it can linger for a couple of weeks before I get a "whoosh" of weight loss all of a sudden. Here is an article that made a lot of sense to me: http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html

As for your Fitbit, I have a flex, and its calorie estimate is pretty spot on for me. I get fairly large adjustments (like 300-500 calories) from just hitting or exceeding my step count without doing any purposeful exercise (for comparison, I'm only 5'2" and weight about 155 lbs). On days I really exercise hard, I can get up to an 800 calorie or so adjustment. The reason for the large adjustment is because I have MFP set to sedentary. If I had it set to active, my adjustment would be smaller, but I would get more calories up front. I prefer to start with the lower calorie goal and "earn as I go."

Anyway, I hope you see a loss soon. Best of luck!

Thank you

I'm hoping I get a loss on the scale soon. The thing is, I'm going to continue regardless as I like being fit and healthy and there is no way I am going to risk putting weight on. I'm 44 years old with a 2 year old so want to be around for as long as possible. Hopefully the lifting will help lose some inches and so I will see what the next month brings. I'm not sure how long you retain water for but it's 10 weeks since I started back at the gym, and 3 weeks since I started stronglifts.
    Here's hoping for my 'whoosh'
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    This is why I don't have a fit bit. We have friends that have had them and it grossly overestimates your daily calorie burn. IMO, your better off using a HRM during cardio exercises and calculating your daily calories needs based off your activity level by using MFP's (or Scooby's) simple calculator. Like others said make sure you are weighing your food accurately too.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure it will be of any benefit to me getting a hr monitor. I really got my fitbit as a motivator to increase my activity and it has worked for that purpose and therefore improved my overall health. I'm as sure as I can be that my logging is accurate. I have checked MFP for active and it says I could have 1770 calories a day.. I will try this method if my 50% adjustments get me nowhere., however I regularly net less than this on a weekly average now. Thanks again. .
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Nothing is working right now and there are too many variables to isolate where the error is.

I would do a month trial using a TDEE calculator instead of any tracking devices. ( put them away in a drawer so you are not comparing results.

I just did a trial off the stats I had and your TDEE comes out to 2800+. This is including working out 6 days a week.

Take 500 off for 1lbs loss= 2300
    Take 750 off for 1.5 loss= 2050.

Simplify everything so you know where the error is.
    Log accurately and, because your workout routine is consistent, use the goal dirt iced from a TDEE estimate.

Here is the calculator I like to use.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Cheers, h.
  • minamina27
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    So you start your post stating that 1200 - 1400 was not enough calories for you, but then the follow up is that you are netting a max of 1100 and not losing?

There is a possibility that you have some water retention going on, but at 3 weeks on your current plan I would expect that to reverse soon if that is your issue. Many have stated here that something like 2-3 weeks is a normal period of time to see water retention from starting a new strength training program.

FWIW I'm 5'6, started this time at 211 pounds and have eaten less than 1400 pretty consistently. I mostly ignore my exercise calories. At the moment I'm doing 3 days of spinning class and then 3 days of mixed cardio (walk/row/precor) with the odd walk thrown in here and there. No regular strength training and lean mass is holding up thus far...shows increased actually by 4 pounds, but it is just by tape measure so who knows?

Thanks for your reply. When I first started to lose weight early last year I wasn't as informed as I am now (thanks mfp forums). I felt fine eating at that amount but it is only now looking back, well, really since I started exercising mid July 2015 that I realised I was under nourished. My hair was falling out and I was exhausted but didn't really attribute it the low calories. Now, although I am 'supposedly netting' less calories I am actually EATING far more calories with a good range of food choices and my body is satisfied with the amount with no ill effects. As I've discovered, and looking back on the comments, as most people agree, my net calories will actually be far greater if my inaccurate fitbit guesstimating machine wasn't so generous.
  • blues4miles
    Options
    On the 'worst of such weeks my average daily calories were 1550 net.

I know that the calorie burn given is inflated and that is why I'm trying different proportions of it to eat back. I am just using the best tools I have available to me and I'm sure my fitbit HR is a better estimator than MFP or the machines.

The net data is only useful if you are 100% confident in your calorie burns from exercise.

I went through your diary and did the same math for you that I do for myself. Over the last 21 days your average calorie intake was 2221. (yes I dropped all your daily food calories into excel and averaged them)

If I go to Scooby's TDEE calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and plug in your weight, height and age I get a TDEE of 2289 if you are lightly active or 2522 if you are moderately active. If you were lightly active you are eating at maintenance. If you are moderately active you should have lost 1.8 lbs in the last 3 weeks. Since you say you just started stronglifts, it would not surprise me if you are retaining water and have in fact lost 1-2 lbs but the scale might not show it because your muscles are hanging on to extra water.

However, just like many people undercount their food calories many people overestimate their exercise calories and activity level. So please keep that in mind. It is highly likely that you are eating at maintenance. I'm sure you didn't realize you're averaging 2200 over the last 3 weeks. I'm sure it felt like less. It's possible you have water retention going on, it's also possible you are eating at maintenance.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I don't have a whole lot to add that hasn't already been said, but I did want to say that when I started Stronglifts the scale did not move for six weeks. I don't know if I was constantly retaining water to repair my sore muscles or if I was sleep eating because lifting turns me in to a ravenous she-beast, but my weight stayed exactly the same for six weeks and then resumed my normal loss rate like nothing had happened. Weird.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

The net data is only useful if you are 100% confident in your calorie burns from exercise.

I went through your diary and did the same math for you that I do for myself. Over the last 21 days your average calorie intake was 2221. (yes I dropped all your daily food calories into excel and averaged them)

If I go to Scooby's TDEE calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and plug in your weight, height and age I get a TDEE of 2289 if you are lightly active or 2522 if you are moderately active. If you were lightly active you are eating at maintenance. If you are moderately active you should have lost 1.8 lbs in the last 3 weeks. Since you say you just started stronglifts, it would not surprise me if you are retaining water and have in fact lost 1-2 lbs but the scale might not show it because your muscles are hanging on to extra water.

However, just like many people undercount their food calories many people overestimate their exercise calories and activity level. So please keep that in mind. It is highly likely that you are eating at maintenance. I'm sure you didn't realize you're averaging 2200 over the last 3 weeks. I'm sure it felt like less. It's possible you have water retention going on, it's also possible you are eating at maintenance.

That is reassuring. Your Scooby's numbers are very similar to what I got through Fitmessfrog in my post above.

OP, as I said up thread. Do a month trial using TDEE instead of devices.

Cheers, h.
  • minamina27
    Options

I was just coming back to say that I have used the runners world calculator. I ran for 2 miles after stronglifts today for which my fitbit gave me 288 calories. According to the runners world info I would have burned 300 so pretty close I would say.

As for the rest, thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to do that. Sometimes it takes another pair of eyes, or twenty! to see what I am not. Hey, give me a 1.8lb loss and I would gladly accept it. Here's waiting for the water to go.

I really appreciate all the effort from everyone who has replied, I knew I could rely on some good sound advice from you veterans. Hopefully, with a few adjustments I will be back to tell you all my weight loss results. Cheers.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I took a look at your food diary. On Sunday, your weights for this meal are suspiciously round:

7c07ab48f43e371ba94b03802ae47ca9.png

Also, you are using user-created entries for the cabbage, carrots, and green beans. I get the wording for system entries from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods

On other days, you managed to have the exact same amount of chicken and potatoes three days in a row. That never happens to me.

Try tightening up your logging for a few weeks.

Hi. I knew someone would pick up on that. However I have less than that but round it up to the nearest entry that I have previously added. I always overestimate not under. For instance if my chicken is 235g or 245 g I will log it as 250g thanks.
    The obvious answers having been already given, I'll ask if you've had bloodwork done in the past year?

My first thought is you are eating too much. Even if your device says you should eat 3000 calories, that's crazy high. I know I would have to be working out several hours a day every day to be needing that kind of fuel. I'm guessing your workouts aren't several hours a day. Heart rate devices aren't meant to be used one-for-one as a calorie using and calorie eating tool.

Why not plug in your numbers to Myfitnesspal's goal setting tool and use those numbers for a while? One way or the other, you have to pick a method and a number and stick with them long enough to get a baseline data set.

No I haven't had any blood tests done. Although my fitbit says ~3000 I never ever eat that much, oh actually a party or two throughout the year. Mfp gives me 1250 a day and my fit bit is set to lose 1.5 lb a week so adjusts according to my deficit.

I can't add to the great advice you've already received. But just wanted to say that I round up too most of the time, if I've pre logged something as 50g, I usually stop adding when I hit 46-48g on the scale and just leave the entry at 50 instead of fiddling about for 2-3g.
  • minamina27
    Options
    I'm up for using tdee for a month. Could anyone advise what activity to use in the calculator for my level of exercise as in lighft, moderate, active? It won't decrease but I might add in a new class now and again. Thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm up for using tdee for a month. Could anyone advise what activity to use in the calculator for my level of exercise as in lighft, moderate, active? It won't decrease but I might add in a new class now and again. Thanks.

I'd put you on moderately active.

And yeah I think your fitbit way overestimates your activity.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I took a look at your food diary. On Sunday, your weights for this meal are suspiciously round:

7c07ab48f43e371ba94b03802ae47ca9.png

Also, you are using user-created entries for the cabbage, carrots, and green beans. I get the wording for system entries from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods

On other days, you managed to have the exact same amount of chicken and potatoes three days in a row. That never happens to me.

Try tightening up your logging for a few weeks.

Hi. I knew someone would pick up on that. However I have less than that but round it up to the nearest entry that I have previously added. I always overestimate not under. For instance if my chicken is 235g or 245 g I will log it as 250g thanks.
    The obvious answers having been already given, I'll ask if you've had bloodwork done in the past year?

My first thought is you are eating too much. Even if your device says you should eat 3000 calories, that's crazy high. I know I would have to be working out several hours a day every day to be needing that kind of fuel. I'm guessing your workouts aren't several hours a day. Heart rate devices aren't meant to be used one-for-one as a calorie using and calorie eating tool.

Why not plug in your numbers to Myfitnesspal's goal setting tool and use those numbers for a while? One way or the other, you have to pick a method and a number and stick with them long enough to get a baseline data set.

No I haven't had any blood tests done. Although my fitbit says ~3000 I never ever eat that much, oh actually a party or two throughout the year. Mfp gives me 1250 a day and my fit bit is set to lose 1.5 lb a week so adjusts according to my deficit.

I can't add to the great advice you've already received. But just wanted to say that I round up too most of the time, if I've pre logged something as 50g, I usually stop adding when I hit 46-48g on the scale and just leave the entry at 50 instead of fiddling about for 2-3g.

You're making me twitch :D