How to I tone up without using weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's not criticism, its education.

People could be educated without being laughed at or made to feel stupid. I have noticed too many people on this site being rude. If people ask questions cant we have answers without being made to feel stupid or laughed at. Lets be honest most of the people now giving advice have been in OP situation hence why they are on the site!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

People could be educated without being laughed at or made to feel stupid. I have noticed too many people on this site being rude. If people ask questions cant we have answers without being made to feel stupid or laughed at. Lets be honest most of the people now giving advice have been in OP situation hence why they are on the site!

if a stranger on the internet can "make" you "feel" stupid you need to get off the www.

mine was quite to the point but excuse me if I am one of those people who doesn't do stupid well.

• Froggymcconnell
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

if a stranger on the internet can "make" you "feel" stupid you need to get off the www.

mine was quite to the point but excuse me if I am one of those people who doesn't do stupid well.

The LMAO comment i was referring to and if you read my comment you would see i wasn't referring to me feeling stupid! also everyone is entitled to their opinions but given that people are coming to threads for help they dont need to be laughed at or spoken to like they are stupid or by rude people that was my point. Everyone can give advice/help/advice without being rude. maybe it was the way i was brought up but hey ho.
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

If you really don't want to lift weights, I would suggest body weight training. Things like push ups, pull-ups, planks, air squats, will certainly help you. Hey, yoga will also help.

I know it has been said again and again that lifting weights won't make you bulky (and that's true for me because I use weights and not bulky), it is not in my place (or anyone's) to tell you that you should lift weights whether you want to or not, but a little knowledge never hurt anyone. That's why we're here right?

Like someone suggested, if you are gaining a lot of muscle mass while lifting weight, there's a chance you might not be at a caloric deficit. Muscle gain is a slow process and usually doesn't happen on such a low calorie intake. Is it possible that you're taking in more calories than you think?

Good luck on your fitness journey.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

The LMAO comment i was referring to and if you read my comment you would see i wasn't referring to me feeling stupid! also everyone is entitled to their opinions but given that people are coming to threads for help they dont need to be laughed at or spoken to like they are stupid or by rude people that was my point. Everyone can give advice/help/advice without being rude. maybe it was the way i was brought up but hey ho.

Then quote the response you are referring to next time.

and if you read my last comment you would see I wasn't necessarily referring to "you" as individual but those who "feel stupid" based on what a stranger on the internet says.

and how do you know what they need? I mean really...some people do need it actually...some need the not so lovey all gooey we love the world attitude boot in the butt to get off it and just do what they need...

and no not everyone can do it the way you feel it should be done...some come across as "rude" when they are being blunt...

I was brought up to not lie and if the truth hurts don't ask the question.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm having an issue with trying to maintain my weight and tone up without using weights. Everything I used to include weights in my workout, I get bulky (manish). I can get great definition in my legs without weight, but my upper body is suffering... what can I do? No weights.

Are you sure your getting "bulky"?
    Are you positive it's not just water retention causing bloating (happened to me the first couple weeks into lifting and went away)?
    Are you sure it's not you losing fat and seeing the muscle underneath?

It's not really possible to bulk at 1200 calories. To gain muscle your body needs the energy to do so. When people bulk, they go into a surplus to give their body the energy it needs to add muscle mass.

So I see a few possibilities:
    - Eating more than you think (really easy if your guessing at serving sizes or using measuring cups for solid foods) to the point your in a surplus which is causing fat and muscle gain
    - Experiencing water retention that is causing some swelling. The result being slightly larger measurements and slightly higher weight which you aren't giving your body enough time to adjust.
    - Losing fat and revealing existing muscle which you are mistaking for muscle gain.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You're not getting bulky- That's impossible.

You need to drop fat that's over your muscles. Toning does not exist. You can build muscle, and you can lose fat. That's it.

How do you calculate your 1200 calories? Cups? Spoons? Food scale? Guessing?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If you are in to your first couple weeks of exercise, you may be experiencing a "bulky" feeling. Just stick with a progressive training (body or weights) routine and deficit. You may see more definition as you lose fat and your muscles adjust to the training. It may take 6 weeks to see the change you are after.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Options

Then quote the response you are referring to next time.

and if you read my last comment you would see I wasn't necessarily referring to "you" as individual but those who "feel stupid" based on what a stranger on the internet says.

and how do you know what they need? I mean really...some people do need it actually...some need the not so lovey all gooey we love the world attitude boot in the butt to get off it and just do what they need...

and no not everyone can do it the way you feel it should be done...some come across as "rude" when they are being blunt...

I was brought up to not lie and if the truth hurts don't ask the question.

I didn't ask the question but yeah ok. anyway, I was giving my opinion based on the fact the OP clearly felt criticised. I am entitled to do that.

Anyway I wont get into this and that because I don't need to! so enjoy your journey! ta-ra