CrossFit & Paleo

Options
Hey everyone,

Just started CrossFit a couple months ago, and am now starting on the Paleo journey. No grains, legumes, sugar, or dairy. If anyone else is doing one or both... I'm just looking for some support, and maybe some good recipes! Thanks!

Replies

• Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Curious as to why you choose Paleo.. its seems to be a silly fad diet with very little backing. To each is own, I get it, I'm just a little baffled as why people are choosing this. No offense tho..

I eat a lot of turkey...ground turkey on baby spinach w/ salsa and lime juice, or grilled turkey sausages.. etc. Good luck!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    For me, I interpret Paleo/Primal/Caveman to be eating food in it's natural state, prior to any processing (wheat is processed). No deli meat, items with preservatives, no sugar that's not natural (i.e. honey is ok), and I also only eat wild caught fish and grass fed beef, field raised chickens, etc. The Paleo purists limit carbs but not completely, in fact they, as do I, eat veggies, lots of them, but I can still keep my carbs to between 100-150 grams a day. Carbs=sugar=fat, so the idea is the limit what you eat that will eventually turn into fat. It's way more detailed than that but it's one of the Paleo foundations. To me it's just a sensible way of eating.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    I eat a lot of turkey...ground turkey on baby spinach w/ salsa and lime juice, or grilled turkey sausages.. etc. Good luck!

That meal is Paleo by the way :-)
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Duh. I was trying to suggest some meals that would be useful for her??? Also, carbs don't necessary make fat. They're broken down into Acetyl CoA.,..Anyways!

Sorry to hijack the thread, just trying to be helpful for the person that posted. I also thought of chicken lettuce wraps a la thai style. Or, fake (with lettuce wrap or suitable Paleo alternative) tacos with pickled red onions, chicken or duck, and an avocado slice. Yum!
  • mzenzer
    Options
    Yeah that meal is, but no way do I cut out grains, pastas, dairy. I was trying to suggest some meals that would be useful for her???

A lot of people are allergic to grains and don't even realize it, causing things like fatigue, headaches, depression, etc. Having a problem with grains doesn't necessarily mean you have cheliac disease or something, it's just that it causes problems with a lot of people and they don't even know. I'm not advocating giving up grains, I did, but that doesn't mean I won't ever have it sometime. Up to possible 75% of the adults in the world of lactose intolerant. Lactose tolerance isn't something humans as a whole are evolutionarily adapted to. Google the wiki on Lactose intolerance its an interesting read. I love cheese, just saying as a food source it came about recent in our evolution.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    Duh. I was trying to suggest some meals that would be useful for her??? Also, carbs don't necessary make fat. They're broken down into Acetyl CoA.,..Anyways!

Sorry to hijack the thread, just trying to be helpful for the person that posted. I also thought of chicken lettuce wraps a la thai style. Or, fake (with lettuce wrap or suitable Paleo alternative) tacos with pickled red onions, chicken or duck, and an avocado slice. Yum!

Lol I wasn't suggesting you weren't trying to help no need to get snippy. I did put a smiley face in. Besides she posted about committing to the Paleo diet and wanting other like minded individuals around for support, and you immediately posted that it was a "silly fad diet", so......
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Curious as to why you choose Paleo.. its seems to be a silly fad diet with very little backing. To each is own, I get it, I'm just a little baffled as why people are choosing this. No offense tho..

Thanks for the ground turkey tip!

I have been doing lots of reading about paleo lately, and to me it does not seem like a "fad" diet. In essence, it removes everything that is man-made and really not meant for us to be eaten. I totally understand why someone would not want to do this... it seems very anti-everything we've been taught about food, etc. But the more I read about it and understand it, it makes sense.

I don't see what is so silly about eating meats, vegetables, healthy fats, and fruit...? It is hard to wrap my mind around eating higher quantities of fat, but I have talked to so many people that have had killer results, weight-loss wise, and athletically.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I don't think the foods in Paleo are silly, I just don't understand why Id cut out pastas/grains/dairy, but like I said, to each their own.

Have you looked for any websites for recipes? Im sure theres gotta be some website for ideas out there. Good luck!
  • KaylaShianne
    Options
    Good luck with the paleo!!

I wanted to go paleo but I just cant seem to commit (especially living in a household where carbs are a staple!) It's extremely healthy and you can burn like 3x more fat from eating that way than just counting calories-- hence why i wish i could stick to it!
  • studswife
    studswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are many variations of Paleo. I do Paleo with dairy (Cottage Cheese or Yogurt) 2 times a week. My body craves it. And the 80/20, (you eat paleo 80%) As far as I can tell, it seems like many "diets" are similar. Lean meat, low carbs, plenty of veggies and fruit.

For me paleo works too because I am allergic to gluten. I have noticed many changes including my skin. I love it. Im my office we have 4 girls who do paleo. If you email me I would be more than happy to send you an excel spread sheet that my co-workers and I have created.
  • kerinick
    kerinick Posts: 16
    Options
    I have been doing Paleo for about 3 weeks so i am new at it too. I find that I like ground turkey, and all the lean meats, and I have found some really good no salt spices to season with. Week one I felt really tired and kind of worn out, but now... my energy is constant during the day, and I actually go home and work out instead of feeling so tired that i don't do anything.

my skin looks and feels better and I am down 10 pounds :)
  • Rainiann
    Rainiann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Paleo 3 months now. I am phasing my family into it. I am a non dairy Paleo but I let my kids have it. I love it and can for sure tell a difference when I eat grains. I also struggle with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome), so my body process grains and carbs the wrong way. I think of it as an allergy of sorts. Since being on Paleo I have lost 25 lbs and had a period every single month where before I had to take medications to force my body to start. I also do not see Paleo as a "fad" diet. Our bodies are not meant to eat grains on such a regular basis. Our diet consists of lots and lots of veggies, fruits and I rotate between chicken, fish and beef. You can take just about any recipe out there and turn it Paleo. Nut flours are great for that. We have a nut allergy so we use coconut flour in our meals that require flour.