March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my expectations are too high, I get myself too excited to finally run outside, or if it's the transition from the treadmill to road running that makes it feel awful. I've pulled through it the last few years (except for last year when I injured myself at the very end of March), and I am sure I will pull through it, again, this year. You will, too.

I think the bolded has a lot to do with it! I'm perfectly fine with using the TM to keep fit and train during the winter, but it really does have a different "physics" about it, if you will--that little assist in moving your body mass, no matter how hard your legs are working. Moving through space is just more difficult!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    https://unitedrelay.org/
    Would anyone be interested in doing this? I was thinking we could maybe do it as our MFP Challenge group, or maybe individuals could "team up" in their states etc. The cost isn't out of this world and it looks like it benefits enough charities that most of us would be happy to help. **I don't know anything about the organizer or some of the charities...I got it in my email inbox and thought I'd pass the info along**

@virkati this is pretty cool, unfortunately 2 things in Alabama, it runs about 2 hours from where I live and it's during the week which pretty much makes it impossible. It's a neat idea though.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    2.92 miles tonight, I started off doing a few intervals, but ran the last 20 mins continuously.

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

ha ha! My other half runs faster (22 years of military training LOL) but I can run further so I just let him go when we run "together". Though I gotta say I smoked him in the last 5K we ran together :wink: I love the idea of putting more weight in the stroller ha ha. BTW I hate those people pushing a double stroller that pass me in a race, honestly that's just showing off!

In my first 5K, I got lapped by a guy pushing a double stroller...with one of the kids on his shoulders, lol!

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    March 2016

2/3 1k
    5/3 6k
    6/3 5k
    9/3 1k
    12/3 6k
    13/3 8k
    16/3 4k

31/75

My first post work outdoor run and it was short but much faster. Legs felt great from the outset.

@rjmqk3 All these guys know their stuff. I went slower following their advice and went from about 3-4km to 8km in a couple of months. Go slow. It works - I am now starting to get faster now I have more distance.

I am thinking about signing up for some runs. Is a 5k then a 10k 2 weeks later ok or is it too close? I will be running about 20k per week until then?

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays It's not fair at all they had wheels
  • kcostner122312
    kcostner122312 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Allergies are killing me. Not sure if I'm gonna get a run in tonight or not.

3/6 - 3 miles
    3/7 - 3 miles
    3/8 - 3 miles
    3/9 - 3 miles
    3/10 - 3 miles
    3/13 - 6 miles
    3/14 - 3 miles

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    There's a half marathon a month after the September one I'm registered for, and they advertise that it's a flat/downhill course great for setting a PR.....I haven't even run my first half, and I kind of want to sign up for this one too......I'm doomed
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    There's a half marathon a month after the September one I'm registered for, and they advertise that it's a flat/downhill course great for setting a PR.....I haven't even run my first half, and I kind of want to sign up for this one too......I'm doomed

Haha! I signed up for my second not having had done the first. But, it was 6 months out. My hip flexors were so sore after the first one, and it took my thighs weeks to heal from chaffing. If you have done near the distance and are OK, I say go for it!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Does anyone know good stuff for core training except planks?
    I used to do a sling trainer ("TRX") class one or twice per week, loved it, and it definitely is good for all those core muscles. Sadly, I've moved away last November, can't find a new class in the new city and didn't manage to install mine in my new appartment. But if your gym has suspension trainers, I would absolutely suggest checking them out.
    Otherwise, have a look at this site, or this one.
    Edited to add: and this is a really great overview of all kinds of abs exercises you can do without equipment.

I'm having a major bad concience attack reading/writing about gyms, actually. I should have done my dumbbell workout today, but it couldn't get myself to go to the gym. I did a "quick" grocery stop on the way from work to the gym and managed to spend 30 minutes looking at the easter sweets, trying to decide what to get for family members. At one point I had to admit to myself the main reason I spent half an hour debating white chocolate easter bunnies vs giant Rochers was just that I didn't want to leave the shop and go to the gym. I just absolutely did not want to go there today, no way!
    So I decided to give in to that tempting voice in my head that told me to go for a run instead. It wasn't strength training, but it was fast! Strava tells me I managed a new 10k PR of 1:08:30, which is more than a minute better than my previous best time :):)
  • AdrianChr92
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 @_nikkiwolf_

Thx for the tips I'll have a look.

In my experience don't skip the gym if you go to one and have time. Also don't skip stretching or foam rolling. Something I am guilty off but I'm fixing. I'm thinking I will try a dumbbell routine for my core since I have access to those. Something like 2 exercises 2x12 for obliques and 2 exercises 2x12 for abs should be enough I think. Like

Dumbbell Side Raise
    Left and Right Leg Raise
    Decline Crunches
    Flat Bench Leg Pull-down

Those links have a lot of bodyweight exercises. I can do those when I am at home. Great

The holy trinity: Lifting, cardio and stretching. Skip one and you will get in trouble.

This reminds me I need to stretch my IT band muscles
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    In my experience don't skip the gym if you go to one and have time. Also don't skip stretching or foam rolling.
    @AdrianChr92 In general, I agree. But I know myself - every now and then I feel like this. If I go anyway, it ends up being a "wasted" training - I just want to get it over with, so maybe when my heart isn't in it I give up early on the lifts. Or settle for some lighter dumbbells instead of waiting for the right ones to be available if they happen to be in use by someone else, ...
    I'm going to get a better training out of switching my plans and doing the run today, and the strength training tomorrow when I'm (hopefully ^^) more motivated.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Haha! I signed up for my second not having had done the first. But, it was 6 months out. My hip flexors were so sore after the first one, and it took my thighs weeks to heal from chaffing. If you have done near the distance and are OK, I say go for it!
    They let you downgrade to the 10 mile or 5k for a $15 charge..... One is 6 months out from now, the other is 7....I think I want to go for it....when they advertise a flat/downhill course made for setting a PR, I kind of have to
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    They let you downgrade to the 10 mile or 5k for a $15 charge..... One is 6 months out from now, the other is 7....I think I want to go for it....when they advertise a flat/downhill course made for setting a PR, I kind of have to

Ya, totally! Having signed up for the second kept me motivated. Otherwise, I could have laid around indefinitely..
  • AdrianChr92
    Options
    I'm worried if I sign up early that I will get hurt and lose my place :(
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm worried if I sign up early that I will get hurt and lose my place :(

Just incentive to train smart.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Hey @mobycarp. I noticed in the pics you shared you are wearing the singlet outside your running shirt.

I have a St Jude's hero's singlet that the RNR requested I wear for photos before the weekend races. I ran in it once, and it seems hot. So I was wondering why you wore yours over. Was considering if I should.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Today's running observations ... so, today was my first long outside run in a while. Somehow my out-and-back run was uphill both ways. Lots of people were out and most of them smiley. I just don't get the ones who can't manage to smile when they approach you on a bike path on a gorgeous, sunny afternoon. Anyhoo ... :)

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

ha ha! My other half runs faster (22 years of military training LOL) but I can run further so I just let him go when we run "together". Though I gotta say I smoked him in the last 5K we ran together :wink: I love the idea of putting more weight in the stroller ha ha. BTW I hate those people pushing a double stroller that pass me in a race, honestly that's just showing off!

In my first 5K, I got lapped by a guy pushing a double stroller...with one of the kids on his shoulders, lol!

I might have mentioned before, I was passed by a giant banana in the Monument Avenue 10K (Richmond) a few years ago. Lovely.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So race report. It was a good first 5k for the season. Not as good as I had hoped but I PR'd
    my last one by over a minute. It was one of those runs where your running into the wind the entire time so that and the side stitch at mile 2 kept me from my goal. Mile one was uneventful, mile two started the side stitch and I had to walk (couldn't remember if l you twist toward or away from the stitch), mile three was hard to pick my speed back up. But I finished and I wasn't dead last so it was a success in my book. Official time was 47:05, still a turtle running through peanut butter but I'm running. And and added bonus is I had forgotten that our sunsets are almost as pretty as our sunrises (I like to run early lol).
    qtj5m9q4rjqf.jpeg
    2m7o6n7sgeai.jpeg
    r36333juj5jb.jpeg