March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am), 7 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)

Joined my local running store for the Wednesday night run. Nice small, loyal group. I'd go to this run more often, but with my schedule it just doesn't work; typically, I do speedwork Thursday mornings, which I can't do a mere 12 hours after a 6+ mile group run :/ But it was really fun and now I certainly now what I'm missing! Another fast run; I'm thinking the afternoon coffee is making the evening runs much easier this week, plus the pre-run foam rolling sessions I've been doing. But now no more running til Saturday afternoon! Mini vacation! I can't wait to see how many pages of this thread I'll have to catch up on ;)

exercise.png
    ^^ I just had to do a double take with my mileage. 144 miles in 16 days? Are you kidding me?! No wonder these legs are exhausted!

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    03/02 - 3.1 miles
    03/03 - 3.1 miles
    03/05 - 6.2 miles
    03/08 - 3.1 miles
    03/11 - 3.1 miles
    03/15 - 3.1 miles
    03/16 - 3.1 miles

MTD: 24.8 / 40
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

3/1- 5 mile run
    3/2- rest
    3/3- 4 mile run
    3/4- 2 hours strength/cardio
    3/5- 9.31 mile run
    3/6- walk 2.38 miles
    3/7- 1 hour cardio
    3/8- 5 miles
    3/9- 5 miles
    3/10- Trained mom and aunt. 1.5 hours lifting and cardio
    3/11- trained friend and also went for a walk. 2 hours of activity.
    3/12- 10.18 mile run
    3/13- rest day
    3/14- 1.5 hours strength and cardio at gym
    3/15- yoga in am, 3.1 mile run afternoon
    3/16- 1.5 hours strength and cardio at gym

I have another 5k run planned for tomorrow and an active rest day friday. Running in a 5k race for ovarian cancer on saturday. Looking forward to hopefully hitting a new personal best race time!

Running mileage total: 41.59/100 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift My monthly Goal is 144 Km = 89.5 miles : I bow in Humble Humility to your amazing abilities. B)
    3/1: Rest day But now no more running til Saturday afternoon! Mini vacation!
    ^^ I just had to do a double take with my mileage. 144 miles in 16 days? Are you kidding me?! No wonder these legs are exhausted!

8km Hill Run with the Wednesday Night Gang - 2 groups of 3 : The Road Runner Speedsters and the Turtles - 8km is 8km no matter which group you are in. Yes I am a Turtle and proud of it. Yesterday was 7C today -10C a very cold day after a nice warm one yesterday. Feeling the legs today after yesterdays swim lessons ~ 1600m Drills + 200m of warmup/cooldown. 800m kick drills and 800m of Tempo Paced swim. I find the parallels between swim training and run training interesting - it helps me understand and appreciate the drills in the 2 different sports.

exercise.png

03/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    03/02- 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km
    03/04- 11.0 Km – 21.0 - 119 km
    03/05- 13.0 Km – 34.0 - 106 km
    03/06- 8.0 Km – 42.0 - 98 km
    03/12- 20.0 Km – 62.0 - 78 km
    03/13- 6.0 Km – 68.0 - 72 km
    03/14- 7.0 Km – 75.0 - 65 km
    03/16- 8.0 Km – 83.0 - 57 km – YTD 346.8 Km
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this on facebook and I thought I would share here. Not sure if this is the hydration solution I am looking for.
    https://youtu.be/Czssbj5fg2w
  • coreymo
    coreymo Posts: 25 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 - I hate direct core work, including crunches and planks. So I don't do it. I do stuff that works the core, but feels like that isn't the whole point. I do pull-ups (pronated, neutral grip, or chin-ups, rotating through the days), push-ups (a set of 60 push-ups has a one minute plank embedded in it), Turkish get-ups with a 35 lb. kettlebell, doing a windmill at the top (hits just about everything, including core), and kettlebell swings and snatches (really works the glutes and hamstrings, but also work the erector spinae). My running club offers core workouts after speed work, and I've never been able to get myself to do that whole drill; but what I do seems to support enough core strength for distance running.

@Elise4270 - The singlet is on the outside because it's what marks me as a member of the Genesee Valley Harriers. The shirt is under it because when I decided what to wear it seemed a little on the cool side to get away with just a singlet. I could have run in just a tech tee, but I don't happen to own a GVH tech tee, yet.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

3/6 – 7.70 easy
    3/7 – 8.17 easy + 4 strides
    3/8 – 11.67 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/9 – 11.03 easy
    3/10 – 8.92 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/11 – scheduled rest day
    3/12 – 15.10 easy 2 solo, pace 8, race 5
    Weekly total 62.59 vs. target 62

3/13 – 11.00 – 4 easy, 3 MP, 4 easy
    3/14 – 5.74 easy + 4 strides
    3/15 – 7.96 easy
    3/16 – 9.41 easy
    3/17 –
    3/18 –
    3/19 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 68

March total to date – 144.09

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – Actually, two days of notes because I didn't post my mileage yesterday. I was pretty sure I wouldn't know the whole story until today, anyway.

The assignment yesterday was a challenging speed workout: 2 miles at E, 4 miles at T, 5 miles at E, 3 miles at T, and to miles at E for a total of 16 miles. The assignment for today was "easy," and 4 miles was what would make the weekly mileage work out. Things didn't go as planned.

Sunday morning I noticed my right ankle wasn't totally right. It hurt to walk barefoot, was better wearing clogs with some arch support. Poke spots the way my podiatrist does, and I find a sore spot. Okay, put a wrap on the ankle, go to church, and see how things are. In the afternoon, wearing the ankle wrap, the ankle tolerated 11 miles OK (4 easy, 3 MP, 4 easy). Monday, the ankle was a little better, but I was pleased to run just an easy 5 miles and 4 strides. I had been a bit concerned about the strides, but they felt okay when I got there. Tuesday morning, the ankle was a little less bad, and I thought I might do the workout or might not. Let's see how it goes.

Got to the park early, and started doing a warmup. At 2 miles, the ankle was still wonky enough that I decided not to accelerate to T. I just kept running till time to meet, got a bit more than 4 miles in. The ankle didn't like drills, and by now I'm pretty sure I'm just running easy. Talk to Coach, and he says take it easy today, ice the ankle, go on ibuprofen around the clock for 2 days. End up with a bit under 8 miles, because the ankle said to quit then.

This morning I had a scheduled visit with my podiatrist anyway. Asked him about the ankle. He tells me I probably have a tear in the posterior tibial tendon. He likes what Coach told me. I can be on ibuprofen, or on Mobec (but not both.) He prescribed a right ankles support, much like the left ankle support I got for a sprain last year. But he didn't tell me to stop running, and he didn't bat an eye when I told him I was pointing at Boston.

So . . . no speed work yesterday, and went out to run easy in the new ankle support this evening. I thought I'd run about 8 miles, making up 4 of the miles I was short yesterday. Added a loop that I hadn't run before, and realized when I got back to a familiar route that it should be about 8.9 miles when I got to my driveway. Felt so good late in that section that I added another loop and ended with 9.41 miles today, making up 5 of the 8 miles I missed yesterday.

The week may still come in below the target mileage. I won't do the scheduled speed work tomorrow, and I may not do the scheduled speed work next week either. I have a 15K a week from Saturday, and I'll see how well the ankle recovers. I may just use that 15K as training for Boston strategy, trying to run the first 10K (net downhill) at MP - 10 seconds and the last 5K (net uphill) at MP + 15 seconds. That would be slow for a 15K, but right now I'm thinking the most important thing is to have a chance of arriving at the start line in Hopkinton as healthy as I can. If the ankle doesn't improve noticeably in a week and a half, that would mean running that 15K at E and being very slow indeed.

@Stoshew71 called me a beast. Maybe so, but right now I'm a beast who is a bit paranoid about injury. First priority is to not make the ankle any worse. I know I can get better while running nothing but easy; I don't know how long it will take at my current mileage level. The last time I did this, it took 4 to 6 weeks with a worse sprain but only running 30 miles a week.

Oh, well. Just have to be consistent with the support, the ibuprofen, the ice, and the discipline to run easy. I've done this before, I can do it again. If I don't hit the target miles this week, that's not the end of the world.

Upcoming races:
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »
    Mid-week longish run today - 15.44 km at 7:02 min/km, av HR 143, max HR 156. This felt good today. That pace is about what I plan to do on marathon day (or maybe I can go a bit faster; we'll see). 7 min/km is about a 5 hr marathon. I am thinking that I am going to add in a day a week at marathon pace just so I know I can do it on marathon day. I have been doing all slower, easy runs at 7:30 - 8:00 min/km (with av HR around 125 -135) for the last 3 months or so to build my aerobic base. (Also, the summer heat and humidity has prevented me doing anything fast - I found it impossible to run fast in those conditions). It's autumn now, so the weather should start to cool off soon; well, maybe in May it will be cooler :)

That's a fantastic goal pace! I've often wondered about the marathon cut off times! Can't wait for cooler weather!!!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    aerial yoga is not nearly scary. especially when you do low aerial yoga. 6in off the ground. it's like yoga and foam rolling all in one
    24375609235_50d5219518_n.jpg
    23510376431_19e97a7a52_n.jpg

That looks really cool! Do you do all of your stretches at the same height then or do you change the height of the band with each exercise?

• runner_girl83
    Options
    2.1 miles this morning. Another awful run :( I can't help but think I'm starting to fail at running, a month or so ago i ran my first 10k but now I'm struggling to even run 2 miles :(

We all have 'those' runs! I put it down to pushing myself too hard or not resting enough. If I head out on a long run and my legs still aren't moving easy after 4-5k, then I call it a day and head home. Next run, I absolutely smash it :smile: Be easy on yourself x
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @runnger_girl83 super news on being cleared to run distance. What Brooks did you end up buying again? I LOVE my Launch 3s. As a matter of fact I'm wearing them all the time now, so I'm going to get another pair.

Heya, my parents got my shoes off layby for me yesterday - Brooks Vapor 2... Haven't broken them in as yet but can't wait!! lol They feel super comfy running up and down the hallway :smile:

Just a question... How different does everyone find treadmill running to outdoors running? A friend wants me to go to the gym with her on the weekend and run a few km's with her on the treadmill. I have probably only ever run 5-10 mins on a treadmill for the podiatrist and found it weird as I wanted to grab the bars to hold on all the time.

I am more worried about the surface being harder/softer than pavement.. Just got rid of my shin splints and don't particularly want them back from changing running surfaces. Your thoughts?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 Personally I find outdoor running vs treadmill VERY different. The treadmill is consistent and nonstop whereas outdoors the consistency comes from you and not the environment. However I can honestly say I think they are both beneficial, at least for me. I can run outdoors for an hour...not fast, and not consistent speed, but I can go without stopping. I can not do that on a treadmill without having to adjust the speed all the darn time. And on the treadmill I have a harder time maintaining balance. I tend to "zone out" and I simply can't do that and stay upright when the ground beneath me is moving at a pretty good clip. So on the t-mill I'm much more aware that I'm on a machine. On the other hand though, the t-mill helps me work on my form and my cadence better because of the consistency it provides. So, my two cents...I'll use the treadmill when I have to, but I much prefer outdoors. And when I use the treadmill, I remind myself that it DOES have it's pro's and to be grateful I can still get a run in even if I can't do it outside.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 Mar – 3 km
    2 Mar – 4 km
    5 Mar – 5 km
    6 Mar – 10 km – first time ever!
    8 Mar – 7.5 km
    10 Mar – 5.1 km
    12 Mar – 5 km – parkrun PB!
    13 Mar – 10 km
    15 Mar – 7.5 km
    17 Mar – 5.4 km

Total: 62.5 km
    Goal: 60 km

I passed my goal! My injuries are all OK! Double yay!

Now where can I get a goat to sacrifice to make sure I haven't just jinxed myself? ;)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March Goal: Run often

3/1 3.44
    3/2 9.27
    3/3 rest
    3/4 3.30
    3/5 meh
    3/6 3.70
    3/7 3.12
    3/8 struggling
    3/9 mightily
    3/10 5.00
    3/11 more meh
    3/12 4.05
    3/13 4.01
    3/14 3.14
    3/15 rest
    3/16 3.38

Total 42.73

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This illness has had me out most of the week, but I was able to get out and get a few miles in yesterday! I did 3.2

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    rest day today - I'm much closer to being on track with my goal than before - quickie strength day, as in, late-for-work-but-sneak-it-in-anyway quickie strength day. Roar! :) Have a great day, friends.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    We must have the busiest group here!
    No time to catch up this morning. Will try later. Just recording my run.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles - very slow this morning.

exercise.png

Had quite a scare this morning when this prehistoric thing ran in front of me!

4801cnrte3xb.jpg