How to get Back on track..

Options
I have been struggling with motivation this winter. I don't know what it is and I find it hard to get back into three groove. I am right back where I was last September I would say. Maybe a few pounds more. I look at myself and can see the difference 15 pounds has made. I'm curious to see what you guys do for motivation. I'm getting with a workout buddy again, and starting to meal plan again. I'm just not excited about it. I think the weight I Wang to lose is too big of a number. I would love to get rid of about 120lbs.

Replies

• CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Start small. Just go out and go for a walk. Being outside can help tons, especially with the weather getting nicer. (Here is FL it is just getting HOT!)
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree the changing of the seasons is my biggest motivation right now! The sun is starting to shine again (yay vitamin D!!). The air is crisp & daffodils are blooming. Whatever the weather where you are getting outdoors & into nature has always been inspiring for me.
  • Ibelieveinthislifetime
    Options
    CivicSista wrote: »
    Start small. Just go out and go for a walk. Being outside can help tons, especially with the weather getting nicer. (Here is FL it is just getting HOT!)

Yes- I totally agree.
  • Ibelieveinthislifetime
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    I agree the changing of the seasons is my biggest motivation right now! The sun is starting to shine again (yay vitamin D!!). The air is crisp & daffodils are blooming. Whatever the weather where you are getting outdoors & into nature has always been inspiring for me.

I'm focusing this week walking again. Hard to believe I did a half marathon in September. And now I'm blah... unbelievable
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation (or willpower) - I just decide what I want to do, where to start, commit, and start small, tweak and adjust, and try, and try something different, until I find something that works. It takes time. What I think "healthy food" is and what amount of effort is needed to lose weight and keep it off, has changed dramatically since the last time I lost weight (2007). So have my eating habits, taste buds and attitudes. Meal planning and cooking have become my new hobbies :smile:
  • Ibelieveinthislifetime
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation (or willpower) - I just decide what I want to do, where to start, commit, and start small, tweak and adjust, and try, and try something different, until I find something that works. It takes time. What I think "healthy food" is and what amount of effort is needed to lose weight and keep it off, has changed dramatically since the last time I lost weight (2007). So have my eating habits, taste buds and attitudes. Meal planning and cooking have become my new hobbies :smile:

Thank you for the advice :smile: very helpful
  • angfirst
    angfirst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find that what works for me is setting goals for myself. For example, my original exercise goal was small (10 minutes on the elliptical 3 times a week), and once I "hit" that goal for two weeks, I changed it and made it more challenging. Competing against myself has worked much better than competing against others, imho.
  • Ibelieveinthislifetime
    Options
    Oh I love this idea
  • kane413
    kane413 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is kind of weird but have a picture of yourself that you don't like and tell yourself " I don't want to be that person anymore " and every time you see it it can remind you of your goals and to stay on track.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    this is an old adage ,but it is still relevant .... "how do you eat and elephant"....one bite at a time.... i have 115 lbs to lose.... dropped 45 in the past 90 days..so i guess i have 70 lbs to lose now... if you look at the whole number , it is very easy to become discouraged and un motivated.... take it 1 day at a time... 1 weeks at a time... 1 meal at a time... look for the small victories the small losses.. i'll take a .5 lb loss anytime... self motivation is tough but its all we have... doesn't matter what any one says to you.. you have to want it... have to want to make it happen for yourself... no one else can do it for you... you can either wallow in self pity and give up or get off the coach and get it done... your choice
  • Saliang
    Saliang Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! Stopped exercising this past month and the very slight hint of abs is lost yet again. On a positive note I watched what I was eating and only put on like a kilo. Went walking today and I need to get back into exercise mode...mmm!!
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    this is an old adage ,but it is still relevant .... "how do you eat and elephant"....one bite at a time.... i have 115 lbs to lose.... dropped 45 in the past 90 days..so i guess i have 70 lbs to lose now... if you look at the whole number , it is very easy to become discouraged and un motivated.... take it 1 day at a time... 1 weeks at a time... 1 meal at a time... look for the small victories the small losses.. i'll take a .5 lb loss anytime... self motivation is tough but its all we have... doesn't matter what any one says to you.. you have to want it... have to want to make it happen for yourself... no one else can do it for you... you can either wallow in self pity and give up or get off the coach and get it done... your choice

I love your advice and thinking!
  • Ibelieveinthislifetime
    Options

THIS!!! I NEEDED TO HEAR THIS TODAY!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    At first I did it one day at a time. One day. Get through the day without going over my calorie goal. Then do it again tomorrow. Then the next day.

All those days added up. Now it's just second nature and my weight loss shows. The holidays don't bother me because I allow myself a day or two to just not track and eat what I want because I know how to do this and I know it works.

But to start off, do it today. Then tomorrow. Then the next day. Never give up.
  • Ibelieveinthislifetime
    Options
    :)