I need motivation to get to the gym please...?

Options
The weather is crappy today. It's making me feel lethargic, and foggy. The other night, I couldn't sleep, I was up until 6am. I'm the type of person that needs at least 8 hours of sleep minimum to function, and when i don't get that - it throws me off for the next few days later. Now, i need to get to the gym, but my body is telling me to rest. Please don't tell me to rest, i didn't go to the gym yesterday, or the day before. I must go this morning, how do i get out of this fog i feel im in, and get to the gym?

Replies

• shan_sel
    shan_sel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Simple. Remember why you started this journey.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I also need at least 7-8 hours of sleep and don't do well when I get less.

Just think about how good you feel after going to the gym, though. Even you spend the whole workout tired and unmotivated, in the end you will be proud of yourself for going. And you may even perk up and generally feel better after your workout.

Last night, I was exhausted and hungry after work and didn't want to go for a walk. But the dog needed exercise, so off we went. Within a few minutes I felt much better, less tired and even less hungry.
  • Melissapaige1
    Melissapaige1 Posts: 151 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That's perfect! Thank you. Actually, that's one of the core reasons why im feeling a bit off. I started because, i wanted to feel light, and get rid of the weight i am carrying, and the negative emotions tied to this energy i have with this weight. If that makes sense. I wanted to create new energy around me, better positive energy - walk out of this cloud. Does that make sense? I messed up my diet last night - and gained 3lbs over night - and woke up thinking, is this cycle ever going to end? So, while im at the gym, im beating myself up, saying tomyself - even if this does feel good, what good is it, if the scale isn't changing for me, and im messing up often. I know what i need to do, and I will do it, im just stuck in a moment right now. But thanks for reminding me of the question i need to be asking myself.
  • snyder212123
    snyder212123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you go to the gym then you will sleep better tonight and then you might feel better. Try to make a goal of how many days you want to go to the gym and write it down. That always helps me then I can visualize that I haven't met my goal yet so I am more motivated to get moving.
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, i will remind myself how great i will feel after. And yes, i do keep track of when i go to the gym to motivate me, thank you.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've had on-pff insomnia for a few weeks now and it's driving me crazy. I get a lovely nights sleep, and then have several where I wake half the night and have bad dreams. Last night I lay awake much of the night but in a light doze, so it wasn't as bad.

I know what you mean by the fog, it's horrible, and it throws you off for ages. But be nice to yourself, you've had a bad night, and your body needs rest. Your body ALSO needs to do some gentle exercise, and if you don't go to the gym you'll feel bad about it, and then won't go tomorrow either and then sleep badly etcetera etcetera. So go to the gym, but tell yourself you only need to go there. Tell yourself you only need to spend five minutes on the treadmill (or chosen activity) to feel you've 'been' to the gym. You'll do more, feel better, and sleep better.

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    You'll regret it if you don't go. You'll never regret it if you DO. :)
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it or wait for the motivation just out on your sneakers and go!! You will be glad you did!!
  • ivey5442
    ivey5442 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The weather is crappy today. It's making me feel lethargic, and foggy. The other night, I couldn't sleep, I was up until 6am. I'm the type of person that needs at least 8 hours of sleep minimum to function, and when i don't get that - it throws me off for the next few days later. Now, i need to get to the gym, but my body is telling me to rest. Please don't tell me to rest, i didn't go to the gym yesterday, or the day before. I must go this morning, how do i get out of this fog i feel im in, and get to the gym?

I know how u feel. We have to push ourselves to get to the gym. U can do it.
  • andrewjbaker1984
    andrewjbaker1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You didn't put on 3lbs overnight unless you ate an extra 11,500 calories?
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    You didn't put on 3lbs overnight unless you ate an extra 11,500 calories?

Well that's good to know. Thanks everyone. I went to the gym, got on the treadmill and zoned out.
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking with your goals :)
  • RebelPatriot77
    RebelPatriot77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with yourself. Write it down. It really does help long term
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking with your goals :)

Thanks!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was super tired today after 3 low sleep nights. I took a nap and then walked for an hour while listening to a podcast and did a short workout later. I actually got more steps today than on many of my more awake days.
  • Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Get a friend who you'll have to meet
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When I don't feel like working out, I just put on workout clothes and go. Once I'm out/on the treadmill I will have no choice but to work out. When people wake up every day and go to work they don't usually psych themselves up for it. They just get up and go regardless. Sometimes it's alright sometimes it sucks, but it needs to be done so they do it.

That's the approach I personally take with my workouts because if I rely on motivation I would need too much mental energy each time to get things done, and that's not an infinite resource, so I risk dropping out of habit. I just make it a non-negotiable. If I'm not in genuine pain, I'm going to work out. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my choice of activity, once I'm out and about I enjoy the hell out of most of my workouts, and days when I don't enjoy it, I enjoy the hell out of the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. It's just the lazy naggy spoiled brat inside of me trying to do this back and forth of why I need to stay in bed, so I just snip it in the bud and get up before it starts.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    A good pre-workout drink will wake you up. Outside of that just stop making excuses. Are you a baby or a grown person?
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    headofphat wrote: »
    A good pre-workout drink will wake you up. Outside of that just stop making excuses. Are you a baby or a grown person?

Lol. No excuses I went.