Beginners interval treadmill help

Options
size102b
size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello I was very ill last year sepsis 11 blood transfusions in 3 months 5 months bedrest
I am walking 1-2 hours a day I have lost 11.5lbs in 7 weeks but need to increase exercise & fitness.
I have brought a treadmill it arrives in 2 weeks I know interval training works for fat loss etc but being a beginner & not at all fit does anyone know a good website that can help or know a beginners guide to this.ive 60lbs left to lose also & im 46.
Much appreciated any help given

Replies

• stubbzie05
    stubbzie05 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer I would advise you to do one of the following:

Walk / jog 1 min each x 10
    Jog/ fast jog 1 min each x 10
    Jog / fast jog 30 secs / 1 min x 10 (this is harder due to less recovery time

I hope this helps
  • size102b
    Options
    stubbzie05 wrote: »
    As a personal trainer I would advise you to do one of the following:

Walk / jog 1 min each x 10
    Jog/ fast jog 1 min each x 10
    Jog / fast jog 30 secs / 1 min x 10 (this is harder due to less recovery time

I hope this helps

That's great Thankyou for your help :)
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Look for a couch to 5k program.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    With your background, current fitness level and weight, there is absolutely no reason for you to try running at this time unless it is your life's burning ambition and you don't feel you can go on living another day until you've tried it.

Forget about the whole "interval training for fat loss" stuff. Interval training is a great (essential?) way to build fitness, but it doesn't have to be all out efforts. Start with some incline walking or faster walking intervals at a 70%-80% effort for a minute or two and go from there. Gradually increase the time at the higher efforts and increase those workloads as you can, to keep up the challenge. Down the road a few weeks if you want to try running, you can introduce that into the workout.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Agree with Couch to 5k program. If you're already walking 1-2 hours a day, I'm sure you will be able to do the workouts. Just keep the running speed very slow, slower than you think you need to. Probably somewhere between 4.5-5.0 mph, depending on how tall you are.
  • size102b
    Options
    Thankyou for all your help it's appreciated