MFP vs Weight Watchers

Options
rmkrd
rmkrd Posts: 7 Member
I'm considering cancelling my WW membership. I hate the new program. Anyone switch to MFP from WW. If so, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Yes, cancel WW. MFP app is so much better. They are basically the same thing because you count calories, but I find MFP easier to use. Besides, the community here is very knowledgeable and are fun. The cost factor, if you choose to pay for MFP, is less expensive.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the need to convert everything to a different unit of measure (points) for WW. Why do extra work and make it all mysterious?
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    @slim1 That's an excellent point. I lost 60 pounds on WW (PointsPlus) and maintained it for years. I really loved the program, and I went to meetings as well. I rejoined late last year to lose some weight I've recently put back on, and I also hated the new program and decided to switch to MFP. I'm really seeing that keeping it simple (counting calories) is the way to go. I know everything I need to know about macronutrients, what I want to eat and what I want to avoid, how to make sure I stay fuller longer with the calories I have, etc. - I have all the information I need to make the right food choices to meet my goals. I like the app better as well and there is no turning back for me.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers slimming world all these bull crap diets are basically calorie counting with a fancy name so they can sell a product etc just get mfp stick to weighing and counting calories accturately and the fat will fall off
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am not anti-WW in the least, recently I joined and quit because I binged my way through, gained 10 lbs. and found the new program too restrictive for me. With calorie counting it is what it is, it is more honest and to the point, and it's free.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    One thing about WW is that so much of the value is in the meetings. For me it was almost like going to a 12-step meeting - I had weekly accountability, and it was a great reminder of what I was trying to accomplish. It was also nice seeing the same people every week a lot of the time, and celebrating milestones with them. I've had success with the online program alone as well, but for now I prefer the simplicity of counting calories, and I prefer the MFP system and app. And price.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If you like WW for the social aspect, that's a really good aspect of it. The food and the eating aspect, especially since they revamped, appears to be really odd, and doesn't help with learning how to eat in a sustainable manner, which is what I've learned on MFP.
  • gerfbrady
    gerfbrady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    WW meetings and weigh ins are great for keeping you accoutable. Same scales, same time, same place. I go to WW meetings and use MFP to track food. As someone already said WW are over complicating food tracking but using the weekly weigh in as a fresh start or to draw a line under a poor week is worth the fee to me.
  • bigblueeyes1
    bigblueeyes1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did WW about 3 years ago so not sure how much has changed since then. I will say that when I did the program, almost all fruits and vegetables were "free". Which in turn allowed you to eat more compared to MFP since MFP counts the calories in your fruits and veggies. However, for basically the same concept, save yourself some money and just use MFP would be my advice to you.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I started on weight watchers and I lost weight. But I didn't really learn how to eat. I also didn't like always having to convert points. I love myfitnesspal. I've transformed my body pretty much for free. And the people are great.
  • Jussilu
    Jussilu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers, I find depends on the leader. I've been to meetings with great leaders and other meetings that I dreaded to go because of the leader. MFP is my choice; 24/7 availability, that's what I like.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I used WW to lose the initial 50 pounds (2003-2004). When they changed how to calculate points where you could roughly guess 50 cals equal one point, I switched to MFP.

I love MFP. If I have needed accountability, I have gone back to meetings but hid the fact I was calorie counting.
  • madseasons
    madseasons Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have used WW since 1997....it was way different back then and no "points" just fat and fiber (calories). Fast forward to now, I just cancelled my online membership because I calculated my calories at the same time as my points and I wasn't getting enough calories to sustain me. SO I am no longer going to be on WW and MFP will be what I stick with from now on. I lost 57 pounds since having my baby last year on my own by just watching my food and portions.

I have lost 11 this year with WW and MFP, so I am just going to continue MFP to get the rest of the weight off .
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the WW old points system, which takes into account calories,fat, and fiber. I was an official member in 2008, when they had this particular system. Since I did not want to join their new plan now, I just found a bunch a resources online for the older one. I tried counting calories, and just did not like it. I guess everyone just has their personal preference :smiley:
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Me
    Used to love weightwatchers when is was points
    Now it's too strict life's too short to be that strict

I did the new plan lost 6lbs in 8 weeks came back to here and lost 11.5lbs in 7 weeks

I don't feel restricted on calorie counting tbh that's all weightloss is CICO
    PLUS this is FREE :smile:
  • rmkrd
    rmkrd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! I think I'm going to keep my membership for a while, until I get back to my lifetime goal, because I do like the accountability of the meetings. Once I get back to lifetime, it will be free.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    gerfbrady wrote: »
    WW meetings and weigh ins are great for keeping you accoutable. Same scales, same time, same place. I go to WW meetings and use MFP to track food. As someone already said WW are over complicating food tracking but using the weekly weigh in as a fresh start or to draw a line under a poor week is worth the fee to me.

A good way to hold yourself accountable is set up a little weight loss group of friends. Each week everyone gets on the scales and takes a picture of their weight and texts it to everyone in the group. Works great!! and Cost Nothing!!!
  • _wjeter38
    _wjeter38 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Might I recommend iTrackbites, which is a smart phone app. It has Momentum, ProPoints & Smart Points. I believe it's less than $5. There is also a community. I personally didn't like the Smart Points program. At least if you download that app you can decide for yourself if you like the program enough without spending so much money.
  • zkjmum
    zkjmum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I recently rejoined Weight Watchers, because MFP alone wasn't working for me. I need the extra support of the Weight Watchers community....and I'm sorry, but I haven't come across a single troll like the many that pop up here. Everyone is super supportive through the Connect section on the WW's app. I love the new points system, how it steers me away from sugar and towards higher protein, moderate carbs, and lots of fresh produce. The Pro Points system we had here in Australia before the new international Smart Points system began, was, in my opinion, dreadful. I tried it twice and just couldn't adjust to eating on it. I've immediately taken to Smart Points and am sticking with it.

Having said that, I still use MFP for the success story part of the community, and the extra tools like the weight loss graphs.
  • BrandiMin1991
    BrandiMin1991 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    gerfbrady wrote: »

A good way to hold yourself accountable is set up a little weight loss group of friends. Each week everyone gets on the scales and takes a picture of their weight and texts it to everyone in the group. Works great!! and Cost Nothing!!!

That's a great idea!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!